What was the longest period of no contact/apart from each other from your ex and got back together?

I personally have never reunited with an ex. 

I only know a couple people who've reconnected and made it last. The others all broke up again for the same reasons they broke up the first time. 

With respect, you really need to work on accepting this break-up, dusty. Your threads all indicate you haven't really even begun that process yet. 

14 hours ago, dustycloud said:

I haven't spoken to my ex in almost 3 months since he broke up with me late last year. He wanted to catch up and free the air but I declined. I'm in NC now. Any stories of being in NC for long periods of time and getting back together?

Why a need to free the air so to speak? He ended things. Because he wanted to.  He probably just wants to tell himself not to feel guilty.  If he wanted to be with you again he would want you to know that ASAP so you wouldn't get snapped up by another guy.

6 hours ago, Batya33 said:

7 years and approximately 7 months.  Very limited contact and saw each other one time for 1.5 hours around one year preceding that time.  Married over ten years now!

I've read in a precious post that you were previously engaged to be married and cancelled the wedding. How long were you two together for then? That's pretty crazy! 

I only went back twice. It's not something I've made a habit of doing, or ever wanted for myself. 

Both relationships originated when I was in high school. The first was a real love situation. We'd been together for about 18 months, and I was starting to get stir crazy. When I broke up with him, I thought it would be forever. But he got back in touch about seven years later. It felt like no time had passed... and I thought, we should at least try. But we only stayed together for 8 months that second time around. 

Part 1 and Part 2 of the second relationship occurred completely within the same year of high school--probably within the same three months. I'd broken up with him after about a month of dating. Then, we saw each other at a party. He and a bunch of other people were like, "Give it one more shot." So, I did. We were together for a few weeks after that, and then he dumped me over some stupid thing. He just wanted revenge for me breaking up with him the first time LOL. Total eye-roller.

16 hours ago, Tonight.majestic said:

I've read in a precious post that you were previously engaged to be married and cancelled the wedding. How long were you two together for then? That's pretty crazy! 

We were together a bit over 2 years the first time, got engaged after close to 2 years with wedding scheduled 4 months later.  

2 hours ago, Tonight.majestic said:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the cause of the breakup? Did you keep in touch after? 

I wasn't sure he was the one, once I wasn't sure he also wanted to end it.  We met a month later - I wanted to try again, he did not (smart of him!!) and we'd email about twice a year.  We had mutual friends and were in the same field so mostly just an impersonal catch up. He emailed me when his grandmother died -I'd adored her!! -and I expressed condolences and made a donation in her memory.  After about 6 years we met once for a very quick dinner when he was in town.  We emailed more in the 8 months before we got back together -my relative/dear friend passed away - I told him, he'd known her, we emailed about her.  Then about 6 months later he emailed me to meet for dinner while he was in town and that's what started us getting back together.

Well... if you guys are meant to be you'll reconcile regardless how long you've been in NC. 

You should move on/live your life assuming it's actually over until proven otherwise. 

I had a similar situation and it ended up giving me more pain because the first few months after the breakup I was waiting by the phone hoping he'd return. (And he did) but the whole vibe was off. 

Archived