Does anyone here have an arrhythmia?

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone here have an arrhythmia? 

I went to the ER a couple weeks ago because I kept having episodes of my heart speeding up, pausing and then going back to normal.  I’ve had very brief episodes like this before, usually right before my period or when life is really stressful, but this day it just kept coming. 

Im pretty sure they thought I might be a hypochondriac, but then they finally got to see it on the cardiac monitor.  I also saw a cardiologist last week.  She said I have SVT.  And that because my heart rate does not go very high for extended and frequent periods of time, and I’m basically asymptomatic(no fainting, no low blood pressure, etc), it’s up to me if I’d want to have an ablation.  My arrhythmia as it is right now is not one that weakens the heart muscle.  To clarify, I don’t have any heart “plumbing” issues.  It’s all electrical.  And the arrhythmia, for all intents and purposes, is relatively harmless.  But it bothers me so bad on an emotional level.  Very anxiety inducing.  

I did make an appointment to see an electrophysiologist, which is basically a cardiac electrician.  I want to find out more about ablations.  Has anyone here had one?    Or do you have an arrhythmia that you treated with meds?  Or simply vagal maneuvers?  

• 1 month later...

Just to update this...I did do a holter and I did see the electrophysiologist.  I have PACs(premature atrial contractions), which are actually very common and pretty much everyone on the planet had 1ish per day, and then runs of them which is the SVT.  

The physiologist said with the duration of my palpitations(really short runs) and that I don’t sustain the arrhythmia longer than approximately 30 beats, I’m not a good candidate for an ablation.  It’s not an arrhythmia he can induce with meds so I’d have to actively be in it, long enough for him to get me into the lab and well...it just doesn’t work like that!  

it’s an quality of life thing...it’s hard to tell myself “you’re fine”, even though I’m being told from every direction that I am.  I’m focusing a ton of anxiety reduction, and that helps to a degree.  Also figuring out triggers(too much caffeine, menses, wine and being even mildly dehydrated). Mostly they are very focused on my stress levels to keep the bouts at bay.  There are more medication options foe the arrhythmia to explore if I want to go that route but I feel alright where I’m at, for the time being.  They had increased my beta blocker and that’s helped moderately.  

My husband had a cardiac ablation due to A-Fib and heart rates spiking from 140-170.  He had it done at Boston Medical Center two yrs ago, and has done well since, (fingers crossed). He's on the blood thinner Eliquis as well as several other cardiac meds.

Either way, I hope you continue to do well.

Archived