Anyone have any experience with Effexor?

My doctor suggested it to me last Spring as they want me off my current anxiety med. It also currently doesn’t handle my anxiety issues. Daily exercise does help a lot .

I have a phone appointment with my doctor for my diabetic check up next week. I am thinking of asking to try Effexor . I do have a severe SSRI allergy but as an SNRI it might be a little different. 

16 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My doctor suggested it to me last Spring as they want me off my current anxiety med. It also currently doesn’t handle my anxiety issues. Daily exercise does help a lot .

I have a phone appointment with my doctor for my diabetic check up next week. I am thinking of asking to try Effexor . I do have a severe SSRI allergy but as an SNRI it might be a little different. 

I have taken Effexor in the distant past and it’s a different beast.  I found it to be hard to taper down from, much harder than an SSRI.  I thought it was just me but in talking with people it’s a common complaint.  I am not sure why.  I have easily followed a tapering plan with Zoloft and not had the issues I had with Effexor.  I also have missed a dose or two of Zoloft and it’s been a non issue - with Effexor I felt it fast.  

It was very effective although you know that’s an individual response.  For the withdrawal feelings, I would not go back on it personally.  

Do you have an allergy to an actual ingredient in the ssri you took or did you experience serotonin syndrome?  If the latter, I believe you may want to talk to a psychiatrist about that.  I take an SARI(trazadone), tiny dose of an old antidepressant and use it for sleep disturbances as needed.  I am already on a hefty dose of an ssri so I was concerned about SS, but the dose is basically microscopic and I haven’t had any issues at all.  Also like I said, it’s an as needed thing. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cheetarah said:

I have taken Effexor in the distant past and it’s a different beast.  I found it to be hard to taper down from, much harder than an SSRI.  I thought it was just me but in talking with people it’s a common complaint.  I am not sure why.  I have easily followed a tapering plan with Zoloft and not had the issues I had with Effexor.  I also have missed a dose or two of Zoloft and it’s been a non issue - with Effexor I felt it fast.  

It was very effective although you know that’s an individual response.  For the withdrawal feelings, I would not go back on it personally.  

Do you have an allergy to an actual ingredient in the ssri you took or did you experience serotonin syndrome?  If the latter, I believe you may want to talk to a psychiatrist about that.  I take an SARI(trazadone), tiny dose of an old antidepressant and use it for sleep disturbances as needed.  I am already on a hefty dose of an ssri so I was concerned about SS, but the dose is basically microscopic and I haven’t had any issues at all.  Also like I said, it’s an as needed thing. 

I got Serotonin Syndrome .  I basically saw furniture walking and anxiety so severe I couldn’t stop pacing 24/7. I couldn’t sleep , eat or drink and lost 30 pounds in 20 days. I heard non stop buzzing of bees in my head. My heart was racing and racing. It was the most god awful 20 days of my life. 

I think if it works for me though I would stay on it permanently as anxiety is just a permanent future of my life. My husband will be on Zoloft for the rest of his life. He had to increase and now feels much better. 

I have not taken Effexor but I know a few friends/family members who have taken it long-term and are still on it now. It has really helped them with anxiety.

I echo Cheet's point that many people do find it hard to taper down from, especially if you're on it for a long while. If you're looking at it as a possible long-term treatment and not something for the short-term, it's still worth a shot, especially if you're very compliant with your medications. Then you shouldn't have any issues. 

• Like 1

I talked with my dr today and he said he is not willing to try Effexor after we reviewed my bad med reactions to some meds. He will discuss things with me after the pandemic and we will stay with what we are currently doing. 

My girlfriend and I are both on wellbutrin (bupropion), it has honestly saved my life from anxiety and OCD. I would recommend looking into or asking about it. It is also NOT an SSRI, but a NDRI. People tolerate it better and it also doesn't give sexual side effects like other drugs. 

• Like 1

My doctor doesn’t want to try any anti depressant at this time. He feels my reaction was too severe to risk trying any brand. He will keep me on clonazepam for now which I tolerate fine and haven’t increased in 8 years.