We haven't been I touch for close to a year, except for occasional texts here & there.

He pops up in text with this sentiment and an emoji.  I respond politely but I don't say the same thing back to him.  I was one who exited the union due to his poor communication skills, not from anything really bad.

What does he want?  In a couple of texts he says "gotta run" & stops texting.  Why bother to start a text thread if you "gotta run", it's rude.

He wants to see if you're still a member of his fan club.

You proved you are by having this texting conversation with him.  And apparently he cut off the conversation which means he got what he wanted.  And here you are wondering what it "means".  So he's got your head spinning.  Mission accomplished!

Does he add anything positive to your life?  If not, why bother?

He wants you as just his pen pal. 

If you're no longer interested in continuing correspondence with him, then request that he not contact you anymore.  If he doesn't respect and honor your wishes, then ignore, ghost, block and delete him.

Hard to say. It's possible he did have to run and he knows you well enough to know you'd get anxious or upset if he didn't reply or left you hanging. 

The real question is - why overthink it? You left the relationship knowing that his communication sucks so this is kind of ironic as history is repeating itself. 

Right on folks!  This beta male wasted my time.  He might want the ego boost.  I always prefer to be civil to exes but in this case I will vanish into thin air.  It behooves me when exes return to revive a dead relationship.  There's nothing left to resurrect.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, LoreliFinn said:

Right on folks!  This beta male wasted my time.  He might want the ego boost.  I always prefer to be civil to exes but in this case I will vanish into thin air.  It behooves me when exes return to revive a dead relationship.  There's nothing left to resurrect.  

Then why haven't you blocked him?

• Like 1