Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A new chapter

dias

Great pics Dias! Is this geeky but I absolutely LOVE your Mum and Dads cottage, you call it? I love the floor tiles! HA!

Lookin’ good! Looking at home with the hounds! 

I’m sorry you’re having a turn of events at work. Drama doesn’t hide away for too long. Is this a jealousy issue? Someone not liking you working whilst abroad and travelling around? 

It’s not your Oxford buddy is it?

x

• Like 1
5 hours ago, mylolita said:

Great pics Dias! Is this geeky but I absolutely LOVE your Mum and Dads cottage, you call it? I love the floor tiles! HA!

It's a nice house, my parents actually built it from scratch, hired an architect and designed the house, oversaw the whole process and got involved themselves a lot as well, it's their life project, it lasted 15 years and it's not finished yet. 15+ years later, about 20 times closer to a heart/panic attack and the hospital and 1.5 mil poorer they started to enjoy it. Now they love it but they call it the biggest mistake of their lives too. Only the maintenance is 24/7, especially if you are a neat freak like my mother. 

There are things I would have done differently but in general my parents have good taste on houses (they love houses).  

Funny thing, they built it to keep me and my bother in Greece close to them, that was their vision. We shattered their vision lol

The ground  and the first floor are a duplex apartment, the last floor is separate, and there is a basement apartment that you can't see in the picture but it's the best because it's twice the size of the rest and it's always cool during the summer. 

• Like 1

I prefer tiles that look like marble like this one in the bathroom. It's tile but looks somewhat like marble and it's a very nice color

This is also tile in the bedroom which looks like wood. Tile could look very nice and also be practical.

20220716_131832-HDR_Default.jpg

20220716_131737-HDR_Default.jpg

• Thanks 1

Lookin’ good! Looking at home with the hounds! 

They are awesome 🙂

I’m sorry you’re having a turn of events at work. Drama doesn’t hide away for too long. Is this a jealousy issue? Someone not liking you working whilst abroad and travelling around? 

It’s not your Oxford buddy is it?

I think both, my manager in conjunction with someone in the HR. I will never know for sure, nobody mentioned names even though I asked many times. 

No I don't think the Oxford guy was involved in this, it was my manager and the HR only. 

Things happen, it's stressful but I am dealing with it, as long as I am healthy I will cope 🙂

• Like 1
On 7/21/2022 at 6:41 AM, dias said:

I prefer tiles that look like marble like this one in the bathroom. It's tile but looks somewhat like marble and it's a very nice color

This is also tile in the bedroom which looks like wood. Tile could look very nice and also be practical.

The living room which has white marble is a pain in the butt because it's not practical. It does look nice of course but if you spill wine or coffee or anything else it's done. Imagine having a lot of guests, someone will spill wine for sure. Plus it's quite expensive. 

20220716_130257-HDR_Default.jpg

IMG-79aa30611bd6b8e2ed04f0fbc7cdde3f-V (1).jpg

• Like 2

DIAS!

I was going to ask for a house tour but then thought, no, too cheeky! So THANK YOU for indulging me without me having to ask! 😍

It’s fabulous, of course! I can see your Mum is a real neat freak a bit like myself! Isn’t it annoying for other people! It drives D mad! 

Wow, and from what you have said, the whole building just sounds amazing! I can see the stress. I mean, I feel like I have had a taste of it in the past and currently. And we aren’t even building from scratch! Everything always goes over time, over budget. It is more like a labour of love and longevity for the future. I can relate to the love/hate and bitter sweet resentment as well, towards a building you put your blood sweat and soul into. Your time and energy! 

Thank you for the pics Dias! I just love interiors!!!! I really do! What a gorgeous family place to have to be able to jet set off too though! The nearest I had to anything like that (not as fancy!) was my aunts villa in Menorca. They sold it last year. We so nearly bought it and stretched ourselves, but we knew we would need money for our house. If I could buy a holiday apartment anywhere it would be Ciutadella in Menorca, the old capital. Those cobbled streets, the middle square and market, the marina. Just, so beautiful. And happy memories there too.

I’m sorry about your work situation. How’s it panning out? Disappointing considering how hard you have worked. What do they say? No good deed goes unpunished?! 

(And PS I do have a love affair with flooring. I love parquet flooring. But I can see how striking the marble is, and also practical, to keep things cooler. I don’t know whether it was due to our heat wave but, this week we were choosing tiles for the hall and I nearly went with a rustic, pale, solid stone flag. Ended up with a terracotta tile. Not the usual choice but I am feeling it! Maybe getting a slight rustic vibe going on in this new abode! Might regret it come the winter!)

Anyway Dias, thanks again for the pics! LOVED THEM! I secretly wish I could nosey round so many peoples houses! 

And, how often do you have to work out to maintain your abs then huh!?!

x

• Like 1

Part of one of our bathrooms in our old house - we used a similar type of tile to your parents. 

In every single one of our bathrooms I had an antique mirror! Always thought a little bit of romanticism creeping in was never a bad thing!

My beloved parquet floor in our old kitchen with my son running wild, about 2 years old.

Our kitchen island - we were warned against marble for being hard to maintain (as you said with your parents cottage and the staining), we ended up going for a quartzite instead.

My sons room had similar floors to all the other rooms - just the natural floorboards (oak, but some of them were painted).

I always thought our little yard/courtyard had a bit of a Mediterranean vibe, especially in the summer! There was an office at the end of it with big sky lights and bathroom, and then stone steps down to another high walled area with a garage and yard for cars. 

It took us 6 years to complete the renovation and we didn’t self build. We also changed the window in the kitchen you might notice to sliding doors. We re-did so much stuff over again as well. Trying to learn our lessons from the previous town house for this new coastal terrace.

x

07537BEF-A388-475D-88E0-5D35B03EFE85.jpeg

CF9E3137-08D9-437D-8B64-699C6E6219C6.jpeg

C492C1C4-D172-4B16-A17C-49DD91927315.jpeg

0F836A97-5D44-4536-9DE2-42AFDB61F609.jpeg

• Like 1

Also, was just mooching through past house pictures. The kitchen furniture changed up quite a bit. I had a lovely antique round table in there which I miss.

But what made me post this was, I noticed your parents had a nice picture of a Greek street and houses?

We also had for many years an oil painting of a cosy Greek street! With two figures talking! Or greeting!

Above our table as well, like your parents! Ha! I’m sad to say it got sold on! But it always made me feel like I was abroad in some Grecian hot landscape whenever I glanced at it! 

Forgive our bedroom with the kids tops airing on the radiator but, I had to snap it at the time because, that house just had a beautiful quality of peaceful light too it. Ever get a “feel” in a building? Everyone felt amazingly relaxed and airy in our house. It was so bright. The windows were all huge. It was a privilege and honour to have spruced her up and lived there for a while. I will always hold my time there in those high walls deep in my heart. 

Cue the sick bucket! 

x

F77E4A61-2968-4D2A-AB48-9A480A4F2149.png

628BD1D0-E079-4B88-9759-31DE71A430B3.png

• Like 1
On 7/20/2022 at 10:38 AM, dias said:

I am wondering how this will end up. It's really strange I find myself in this sort of situation because of a disgusting duplicitous cockroach. 

The Tor browser thing was a pretense, it was mostly that I worked remotely a few days in Athens before informing them. And my petty manager thinks he is Putin and I am his possession. 

It wasn't the security company, it wasn't the HR, it was this cockroach who still pretends he is on my side and the HR is the bad guy. 

I sent him a nice message on Whatsapp, not aggressive, not swearing or anything, just that I contacted a lawyer and if I sue the person who did this he could get fired. He hasn't replied. I honestly don't give a rat's *ss, I can find another job, he is the one who has to worry. 

Crazy that it's gone this far!   Sorry this is happening.  Hoping the stay at your parents helped pick up you up a bit.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2022 at 10:07 PM, mylolita said:

I always thought our little yard/courtyard had a bit of a Mediterranean vibe, especially in the summer! 

It took us 6 years to complete the renovation and we didn’t self build. We also changed the window in the kitchen you might notice to sliding doors.

C492C1C4-D172-4B16-A17C-49DD91927315.jpeg

It's a beautiful, beautiful house. Very good taste. I really like the kitchen and the sliding doors, you go straight to the yard, this does look Mediterranean. Great combination of colors, I love it 🙂

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, reinventmyself said:

Crazy that it's gone this far!   Sorry this is happening.  Hoping the stay at your parents helped pick up you up a bit.

It's crazy, this whole circus was absurd. I am flying back to the UK tonight and I have to wait all night to the airport, then  get the bus to Leeds, return the laptop and get the bus to Liverpool. No sleep tonight.

Plus, the I have to wait for them to check the laptop, have another call with the "interrogator" and then wait for them to decide what they will do. I believe I made my frustration very apparent during the last call, I was livid. 

I really don't understand what their intentions are, if they wanted to fire me they could have done it without any reason. This is a circus. 

I do have on my mind that I need to start looking for another job.

I scheduled the first interview for next week. Even if nothing happens I don't want to work for this company that tried to bully me. 

However I am thinking maybe I could play it smarter. Stay for another year, work my *ss off, learn everything I need to know and then get a job as a contractor. To be honest as a Senior Engineer I would have to do a bit of management, get involved  in the company's politics and babysit junior members. I am not interested in that whatsoever. I want to be the best engineer I can be and make as much money I can. I am in for the money, not for stability that as I just witnessed there is none anyway. Contracts pay, you have to work all day and hustle all the time but this is where the money is. Maybe this is a smarter decision.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dias said:

I scheduled the first interview for next week. Even if nothing happens I don't want to work for this company that tried to bully me. 

However I am thinking maybe I could play it smarter. Stay for another year, work my *ss off, learn everything I need to know and then get a job as a contractor. To be honest as a Senior Engineer I would have to do a bit of management, get involved  in the company's politics and babysit junior members. I am not interested in that whatsoever. I want to be the best engineer I can be and make as much money I can. I am in for the money, not for stability that as I just witnessed there is none anyway. Contracts pay, you have to work all day and hustle all the time but this is where the money is. Maybe this is a smarter decision.

Make hay while the sun shines 🕺

• Like 1
13 hours ago, dias said:

It's a beautiful, beautiful house. Very good taste. I really like the kitchen and the sliding doors, you go straight to the yard, this does look Mediterranean. Great combination of colors, I love it 🙂

Aw Dias! Thank you!

It was a crime, truly, to have been unhappy in that house for even one second. It was an A star lesson in how to be an ungrateful, spoilt brat! 

I do have some of the best memories of my life there. It will always hold such a special place in my kookie little heart. I still wouldn’t be able to drive past it even now, after almost a year gone leaving.

It was one of those glamorous and elegant houses. The proportions were huge. The pictures don’t give you an example of scale, the windows and doors and ceilings were so high. It was a pleasure to have been the keeper of the keys. We are now part of the houses historic deeds! I remember the lady who sold it to us, she swung by a few weeks after the sale. We moved straight in - no kids, hardly any money left and needing to get on with ripping out and fixing up. She said she had almost forgot, handing us a dusty old folder that was huge, wide and heavy. The historic deeds! I felt a geek moment coming on. Beautifully written in the most dainty, flowery scroll. The way they wrote back then was something else. It said when the land was cleared for the house (1832). It had hand written bills documenting when the electric was put in, and for how much. Ladies of the house, their names, their husbands occupations (often just stated “gentleman”, which historically meant, enough money to not have to work). 

I used to think of the kitchen staff down in the basement, or how a young barely teenage maid would have slept up in the attic floor, where the ceilings got lower, the plaster work more simple, and the fireplaces plain, with a little Victorian iron grate where we were told, they often warmed up food and pies! I used to wonder how many babies had been born there, who they were and where they played. All these thoughts enter your head when you posses a house of great age. It’s really a magical thing, and not creepy at all - well, not for me, anyway! 

I would like to think we took her back to a modern day version of her former glory. The Georgians really knew how to decorate, with silk wallpaper and light, almost modern looking pastel colours. I know it won’t be near what grandeur it was but, I think we did her justice in the end! (Even if it DID nearly kill off the husband!) 

The street was a beautiful crescent Dias, you would have really liked it. The largest house at the end of our row, had a coach house in their yard for what would have been the owners carriage, and had a ball room. So grand. They were the riche toffs town houses. They often got shut up when the owners retreated to their country places.

Weirdly, even though I was the most classless person to have ever been in there, I never felt the house was above me. It was a very welcoming and relaxing place. Everyone always wanted to visit, and once in, no one ever wanted to go! 

Before we had kids, we had some amazing parties there. I used to host a book club as well. I used to hold it in different rooms. My favourite was, there was a room in the basement that had steps in it up to this little void below the courtyard. That also had sliding doors in miniature to below where the kitchens were. You could nip out into it, look to the grates above, onto a rustic floor, and I often had a few simple glass bell lanterns with large pillar candles giving off this incense scent, a little iron table and bistro chairs. The room this little secret area lead into was a delight as well. The yard used to look sultry lit up by down casting wall lights on an evening. I used to love the way it dimly highlighted the uneven, textured rendering. The tree was a cherry blossom that used to burst with bright white flowers every spring. I would take a chair with the kids and snip at the branches. For a month, the whole house, every vase would have a cascade of branched blossom.

I remember going down the stone steps from the garden, getting into my car, and listening to the peaceful mull of the roller shutter peeling back. And when I would come back through that electronic gate, and park up into the lower yard, I used to think, every single time - MAN! You lucky TART! 🤣

Our bedroom had this romantic copper bath, so high. It used to hug you, simply engulf you, conceal you. And it retained the heat forever. (It was by William&Holland, if you ever are really into baths, they knock it out if the park). I remember inviting a friend over to stay who I knew absolutely had an obsession with taking long baths. So I lit the fire in the bedroom, hung a towel to warm on a wooden rack beside. Sprinkled blossom in the steaming water. I laid out a bowl of strawberries and a chilled glass of rosé for her on the side table next, along with some bath salts and exotic little wash products I’d gone and got the day before. I put a linen robe on the bed, and laid out slippers. I told her to take as little or long as she wanted. 10 minutes or 5 hours. Whatever. A deep copper bath filled to the brim in front of the fire on a dark October night. She was gone for 2 hours. She came down in a trance, and said it was the best bath she had ever had in her life. She slept like a log the whole night. Each part was so special. It begged for ritual and savouring. 

The kids were all brought home there from the hospital. I paced across the long landings to get to them when they cried from the nursery. The house will have seen it all. The joy, the dancing, the good times - the babies, the friends, family gatherings and large Christmas meals with the fireplaces blaring, logs cheerfully burning away. It will have seen the melt downs, the tears. It will have seen the fights. That ornate ceiling witnessed me throwing myself onto the bed in dramatics only I could muster. It’s definitely been a time! 

We are so looking forward to moving into our new place Dias! Hopefully, if you are interested, I could throw a few pictures for a mini tour when it’s nearer finished.

At the moment, we have been hopping from one adventure to the next. Currently on “holiday” in a valley, in a country park, hiring out basically, a caravan. A luxury type static home. At first, I thought, oh no. But okay, not bad. I used to stay in these all the time in Scotland with my family. But the views! Breathtaking. There are peacocks and chickens and moor hens all strutting wild about the grounds. The kids shoot out first thing onto the wrap around veranda and jump on their bikes. My son has learnt to ride a bike properly; without stabilisers, here. It took him 4 hours with D! Now we can’t stop them! 

It does make me realise how an outdoor, free spirited lifestyle is probably ideal for kids, it really is. They are effervescent, totally. Filled with glee every single morning. It kind of makes me regret our decision at what is another terrace house, because; even though we have a fairly long front garden leading up to the new house, the L shaped yard at the back is very small. We are hoping the 5 minute walk to the beach and woods will make up for it. They enjoy the freedom of me not having to worry about busy roads.

x

• Like 2
13 hours ago, dias said:

It's crazy, this whole circus was absurd. I am flying back to the UK tonight and I have to wait all night to the airport, then  get the bus to Leeds, return the laptop and get the bus to Liverpool. No sleep tonight.

Plus, the I have to wait for them to check the laptop, have another call with the "interrogator" and then wait for them to decide what they will do. I believe I made my frustration very apparent during the last call, I was livid. 

I really don't understand what their intentions are, if they wanted to fire me they could have done it without any reason. This is a circus. 

I do have on my mind that I need to start looking for another job.

It’s very bizarre Dias, I haven’t heard anything like it before. But then again, I don’t work “in tech”! Or know the first thing about any of it, or how those offices and companies get along and do things.

Seems like there is some strange motive at work. Who knows?! Just weird.

Sounds like you are doing the best thing by getting your chickens in a row.

x

It’s very bizarre Dias, I haven’t heard anything like it before. 

I haven't either. I mean I have seen it happening in action movies with cops getting suspended but only in the movies lol and definitely not in IT. Some people like CSI a bit too much hahaha. I didn't even know there is suspension in private sector, this is a new one. Learned something new.

They could have called me and tell me what the issue is instead of trying to intimidate me(unsuccessfully). Because they wanted to play MI5 I am waiting in the Manchester airport the whole night for the bus to Leeds. 

Nonetheless, every setback hides an opportunity. I think this circus will benefit me somehow. Let's see.

2 hours ago, dias said:

I haven't either. I mean I have seen it happening in action movies with cops getting suspended but only in the movies lol and definitely not in IT. Some people like CSI a bit too much hahaha. I didn't even know there is suspension in private sector, this is a new one. Learned something new.

They could have called me and tell me what the issue is instead of trying to intimidate me(unsuccessfully). Because they wanted to play MI5 I am waiting in the Manchester airport the whole night for the bus to Leeds. 

Nonetheless, every setback hides an opportunity. I think this circus will benefit me somehow. Let's see.

I’m sure it will!

It’s not my call and I don’t actually know you, but from what I gather, how you are, how you come across, seems stifled and unfitting in your work set up. 

I can understand you wanting to gather experience and build something up. By the way, I am, when all is said and done, a jobless free loader 🤣 so who am I to even begin trying to suggest work moves?! HA!

x

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mylolita said:

I’m sure it will!

It’s not my call and I don’t actually know you, but from what I gather, how you are, how you come across, seems stifled and unfitting in your work set up. 

I can understand you wanting to gather experience and build something up. By the way, I am, when all is said and done, a jobless free loader 🤣 so who am I to even begin trying to suggest work moves?! HA!

x

I returned the laptop, voiced my complaints about the treatment to the investigator, he said he understands my anger and he would be mad as well. They asked my manager and colleagues and everyone spoke very highly of me, so it's not about me , they are concerned because the Tor browser is unsafe and a malware might got installed without me realizing it and they have to check and it wasn't personal, they just followed the procedure etc etc.

It seems I was wrong about my manager, he told them I was amazing etc. I feel guilty I thought he was involved in this when he supported me. Misplaced anger by accident.

We just spoke on the phone. I told him I knew he said good things about me and I thanked him for that. It was the least I could do because it wasn't nice to think like this for someone who actually supported me.

I told him I like Leeds and he joked whether I am moving again lol. I will. I want to see Brighton first though before I decide.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dias said:

We just spoke on the phone. I told him I knew he said good things about me and I thanked him for that. It was the least I could do because it wasn't nice to think like this for someone who actually supported me.

I told him I like Leeds and he joked whether I am moving again lol. I will. I want to see Brighton first though before I decide.

Brighton is full of THE GAYS! 

We have many a flamboyant friend who resides there! 🕺🤣

London by the sea. Kinda! 

Never aesthetically been a fan of the pier there - oh, I do sound like a right whinge bag don’t I! I have some happy memories of Brighton though!

Where you need to go Dias; where you REALLY need to go - is SAINT IVES!

x

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mylolita said:

We have many a flamboyant friend who resides there! 🕺🤣

London by the sea. Kinda! 

Never aesthetically been a fan of the pier there - oh, I do sound like a right whinge bag don’t I! I have some happy memories of Brighton though!

x

I know all the best hidden gems of England because I’m full of taste and what’s correct and gorgeous - LOLZ! 

🫡

• Like 1
On 7/27/2022 at 3:45 PM, mylolita said:

Yes I have been warned about this. 

As long as they stay 1 meter from my ass it's fine. Looky, looky, no touchy, touchy lol

Although when it comes to gay women I would gladly show my support practically in a lesbian orgy hahahaha

It's by the sea that's what I want. 

On 7/27/2022 at 3:45 PM, mylolita said:

Yes I have heard about this place. Cornwall is the English riviera right? It's a bit far, this is the main problem. 

On 7/27/2022 at 3:46 PM, mylolita said:

The people are fantastic.

I really liked Leeds city centre, and I did like their accent. Liverpool seemed less attractive when I arrived yesterday. I should have moved to Leeds.  I stayed one more day in Leeds to wander around. I could have stayed there. 

On 7/27/2022 at 3:48 PM, mylolita said:

I’m full of taste and what’s correct and gorgeous - LOLZ! 

We established you have a good taste! If I ever buy a house, I will ask you for interior design advice.