Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A new chapter

dias

23 minutes ago, mylolita said:

I think she likes you actually Dias! (The curious ginger one!)

Would you give her a chance or are there no sparks there? 🥳

She is a pretty girl, a smart accountant and very fit but we are just friends, she is in a long term relationship so  I never thought about her more than a friend/acquaintance and neither did she. 

We have debates from time to time, it really depends on her mood that day lol sometimes she doesn't talk at all, sometimes she wants to debate hahaha good solid person who has her sh*t together. But damn, she is curious as f*ck (which I like, I am curious as f*ck too). The first time we met, I said something along the lines I move around a lot and she asked me point blank "why do you move around a lot?" Lol no one ever asked me this question before.

She asked me jokingly yesterday what happened to my standards (because I told her before I like independent girls who have their sh*t together etc etc). Emm, well, kinda liked the Mexican girl even though I knew how the whole situation was. I guess I squint sometimes too. 

34 minutes ago, dias said:

She is a pretty girl, a smart accountant and very fit but we are just friends, she is in a long term relationship so  I never thought about her more than a friend/acquaintance and neither did she. 

We have debates from time to time, it really depends on her mood that day lol sometimes she doesn't talk at all, sometimes she wants to debate hahaha good solid person who has her sh*t together. But damn, she is curious as f*ck (which I like, I am curious as f*ck too). The first time we met, I said something along the lines I move around a lot and she asked me point blank "why do you move around a lot?" Lol no one ever asked me this question before.

She asked me jokingly yesterday what happened to my standards (because I told her before I like independent girls who have their sh*t together etc etc). Emm, well, kinda liked the Mexican girl even though I knew how the whole situation was. I guess I squint sometimes too. 

I like her more and more! 🤣

Well, ya never know! Good friends is awesome still! I had mostly male friends when I was back in school and college, it’s a really nice bond and dynamic people seem to think can only go seedy but that’s not always the case! 

Well, you don’t need standards and for someone to tick every box ever for casual flings, right?! No golden rings getting exchanged here I take it! 

And I really like your reasons as to why you didn’t live in London. London really is, as you say, a different world to the rest of the UK. Part of the reason why I enjoyed going there but also the reason I was always glad to leave. I had some wild times there before the kids. We used to go to Chelsea Arts Club which, very snobby, was a private members club. Madonna got turned down so, you can imagine how pleased I felt when we were accepted 🥲 One night Bryan Ferry was sat next to my right. Met so many famous people there. Models, artists, directors, designers. It was pretentious for the most part and I found it a real trip but again, was always glad to just get out and go through a drive thru and start the real evening! 

x

• Like 1
On 4/16/2022 at 6:26 PM, dias said:

yearly payrise and it was 3% (which is basically the inflation).

Actually the inflation is 7% (w t f?)https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/march2022#:~:text=contribution from food.-,The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rose by 7.0% in,when it stood at 7.1%.

So basically even after the payrise I will be 4% poorer than when I started working and one year older. I am getting poorer as I am getting older despite having worked more lol. I don't know if I have to cry or laugh.

7 hours ago, dias said:

Actually the inflation is 7% (w t f?)https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/consumerpriceinflation/march2022#:~:text=contribution from food.-,The Consumer Prices Index (CPI) rose by 7.0% in,when it stood at 7.1%.

So basically even after the payrise I will be 4% poorer than when I started working and one year older. I am getting poorer as I am getting older despite having worked more lol. I don't know if I have to cry or laugh.

Everyone falls over themselves to live in London. You’re so right - for it to be easy and not a hamster wheel, it does help to be on mega bucks. 

Don’t you think though, it has no humour? It’s achingly cool. And the people are sometimes beautiful and well off and oh so stylish that… it can become a real bore? Most of the cockneys have been driven out. London’s own working class is there but, it’s changed, very much. 

x

I am exhausted and angry. Not only you swamp me with sh*t ton of difficult tasks but you also inform me Friday afternoon I have to give a presentation on Monday. Jake f*cked it this time. He reached out saying "oh did I ever mention the innovation forum?" I am like yeah but you didn't share any details. Which was not true, I heard it from my manager coincidentally one time. "Yes that sounds like me. They want you to present about your telematics project you worked on the side. Can you do that on Monday?" Of course I am very excited to do it but I can't prepare a good presentation only in 2 days. It's not that simple. I have to tell my father to drive my car  in Athens to gather data again and coordinate the whole thing, prepare a presentation and some cool selling points that I haven't thought a lot.

Grrrrrr this is extremely important to me personally. And I asked him so many times for an update.....arģggg

49 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Oh no! Why can't you use the same data?

I deleted the data because it took space and I thought if I had to prepare a new presentation I would use better data and I would make more impressive graphs. Now I am trying to find a way to recover the files on the cloud, I think I can do it as the cloud has backup mechanisms. However, I can't make any new plots now, I have to go with what I showed last time. I think I will focus more on the business side of things and why it would be useful for the company to implement the concept rather than explaining how it was done and showing them cool graphs. 

I need to write it down tomorrow. 

To my surprise the presentation went very well! I think it's the longest presentation I have ever done, I talked for 30 minutes without a pause. Thank God I am good storyteller*. The good thing about storytelling is it's not about being eloquent (I am not even a native speaker so you can imagine) , it's more about transference of emotions and I can do that very well without trying because that's my nature. I was extremely stressed before I began talking but then everything went smoothly. 

They really liked it, the chief of technology pinged me later he really liked the presentation and it's very fascinating stuff. Jake also told me it went very well. There is a chance we made a sale to the Leadership team.  

Regardless of the outcome I am very happy I presented to the right people. If they move forward with the idea I will stay in the company regardless of the salary, this would change things. 

I believe good storytellers are the ones who love and believe in stories themselves. And I looooovveeee stories and tales.

Hmmm, bad news and good news.

Bad news: my manager told me this month I would get part of my annual bonus, I got nothing. Correction: I got 40 pounds more since I got 3% pay rise hahahahaha  It's so pathetic I can only laugh about it. 

Good news: The chief of technology wanted me to send him the presentation and some screenshots of the experiment. He wants to talk about it tomorrow with the leadership team. It's getting interesting now. If this project does move forward and I am on the implementation team it would change my plans dramatically. I don't care about any pay rise in this case, I will stay only for this project and learn as much as possible about the industry. Let's see....

If only I had a penny every time my manager mentioned this year "the bonus would be great if you work hard". I never took it very seriously because 1) for me only actual pay rises matter 2) I work a lot because it's my nature like this, I don't do it for bonuses. 

However, when your manager mentioned it 3 million times and the moment of annual bonus comes and you get 0 although your performance was apparently "exceptional", well, you feel duped and stupid. 

I like working but I don't like being taken advantage of, I think I will start spending less time working and caring about the job (unless it's about this project I mentioned above). 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dias said:

If only I had a penny every time my manager mentioned this year "the bonus would be great if you work hard". I never took it very seriously because 1) for me only actual pay rises matter 2) I work a lot because it's my nature like this, I don't do it for bonuses. 

However, when your manager mentioned it 3 million times and the moment of annual bonus comes and you get 0 although your performance was apparently "exceptional", well, you feel duped and stupid. 

I like working but I don't like being taken advantage of, I think I will start spending less time working and caring about the job (unless it's about this project I mentioned above). 

DAMN STRAIGHT DIAS!

You are not your job after all! The ones dishing out the money don’t chain themselves to the desk either! (They will have done at one point, I am sure).

Good things to come! 

Hope your project gains traction!

All the best,

x

• Like 1
16 hours ago, mylolita said:

DAMN STRAIGHT DIAS!

You are not your job after all! The ones dishing out the money don’t chain themselves to the desk either! (They will have done at one point, I am sure).

Good things to come! 

Hope your project gains traction!

All the best,

x

Thank you Lolita 🙂

I asked my manager why I didn't get any bonus, he will check with his superiors, let's see...

Yesterday, another company reached out on LinkedIn with the most tempting offer I've ever received, Senior Data Engineer 95K pounds in Reading (permanent, not contract). I told them I am happy with my current job but it was a very very good offer. I've never seen a company offering 95K outside of London. It didn't mean I would get the job obviously (they would be plenty of interviews) but they did reach out to me so they liked something on my profile. I am not ready yet anyway for multiple reason. 

Plus, I like working remotely, I wouldn't want to move to Berkshire again, I just can't live away from the sea which I understand it limits my options dramatically. I will take the hit for now. I really suffer  when I can't see the sea. What job offer can compete with that? It's from my phone hence the poor quality, look at the sunset, Liverpool has one of the best sunsets ever, it's like the sunset you can see on the Greek islands. And I love the waterfront, it's ideal for walk. 

20220419_202732.jpg

20220420_200956.jpg

20220421_201124.jpg

20220329_193039.jpg

• Like 1

I had my first acting class yesterday. Ok it's not that serious, it's more for people who want to socialize and try something different (it's the beginner's course). It was fun. It had people from all ages, from 20 to 70. It was a different experience. I think I will like it. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, dias said:

Thank you Lolita 🙂

I asked my manager why I didn't get any bonus, he will check with his superiors, let's see...

Yesterday, another company reached out on LinkedIn with the most tempting offer I've ever received, Senior Data Engineer 95K pounds in Reading (permanent, not contract). I told them I am happy with my current job but it was a very very good offer. I've never seen a company offering 95K outside of London. It didn't mean I would get the job obviously (they would be plenty of interviews) but they did reach out to me so they liked something on my profile. I am not ready yet anyway for multiple reason. 

Plus, I like working remotely, I wouldn't want to move to Berkshire again, I just can't live away from the sea which I understand it limits my options dramatically. I will take the hit for now. I really suffer  when I can't see the sea. What job offer can compete with that? It's from my phone hence the poor quality, look at the sunset, Liverpool has one of the best sunsets ever, it's like the sunset you can see on the Greek islands. And I love the waterfront, it's ideal for walk. 

20220419_202732.jpg

20220420_200956.jpg

20220421_201124.jpg

20220329_193039.jpg

Beautiful!

Liverpudlians are awesome!!! The accent is epic! 

You can do what you want Dias! My husband would totally get what you mean about the sea! He feels the same way! 

There is something wild and beautiful and open about it!

Fab pictures!

x

• Like 1

I can't concentrate the last few days. My brain refuses to work, I don't know why. I guess it burnt out, strangely though, I am not burnt out, it's just my brain that doesn't work hahaha.

Uh that's a shame, I am working on something interesting and difficult these days, it's a problem that not even Jake has found a proper solution and Jake is the smartest person I have worked with. I am in the right path and I have made good progress, it would be easier if my brain was willing to cooperate lol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10761407/Sunak-threatens-oil-gas-giants-windfall-tax-dont-invest-UK-energy-supplies.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10772509/amp/Asda-boss-Lord-Rose-warns-food-prices-rise-HIGHER-stay-high-quite-time.html

Mortgage rates are rising, food prices are soaring, inflation is out of control, yet the salaries stay the same. 

I am really happy I don't own anything and live a minimalistic lifestyle. First and foremost I don't have the stress of making ends meet which is extremely important, I hate living a stressful life. Second, I have a lot of freedom (at least how I personally define freedom) which is amazing. Maybe I do lose money by not investing my petty savings but I don't really care. I don't save much, just enough to be able to survive if let's say I lose my job or for the doctors since I always go down the private route (you just can't trust the public sector) 

Years ago, I chose to invest in myself, invest in building my character (not only skills) the way I wanted, it's not a "tangible" investment, it does not produce money but it does give you something unique: Whatever happens in life you deal with it and move forward.  Heaps of time we can't control external factors and events, things happen, but by investing in your character you know you can always depend on yourself, you are your own safety net to fall back. I don't believe there is something more important than this in life. 

I am happy with my investments.

• Like 2
On 5/2/2022 at 9:58 AM, dias said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10761407/Sunak-threatens-oil-gas-giants-windfall-tax-dont-invest-UK-energy-supplies.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10772509/amp/Asda-boss-Lord-Rose-warns-food-prices-rise-HIGHER-stay-high-quite-time.html

Mortgage rates are rising, food prices are soaring, inflation is out of control, yet the salaries stay the same. 

I am really happy I don't own anything and live a minimalistic lifestyle. First and foremost I don't have the stress of making ends meet which is extremely important, I hate living a stressful life. Second, I have a lot of freedom (at least how I personally define freedom) which is amazing. Maybe I do lose money by not investing my petty savings but I don't really care. I don't save much, just enough to be able to survive if let's say I lose my job or for the doctors since I always go down the private route (you just can't trust the public sector) 

Years ago, I chose to invest in myself, invest in building my character (not only skills) the way I wanted, it's not a "tangible" investment, it does not produce money but it does give you something unique: Whatever happens in life you deal with it and move forward.  Heaps of time we can't control external factors and events, things happen, but by investing in your character you know you can always depend on yourself, you are your own safety net to fall back. I don't believe there is something more important than this in life. 

I am happy with my 

There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy
They say he wandered very far
Very far
Over land and sea
A little shy and sad of eye
But very wise was he

And then one day
A magic day he passed my way
And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"

- Nat King Cole, ‘Nature Boy’

x

• Like 1

I asked my husband the same thing a few weeks ago Dias, with taking on a new house, still spending large amounts of money, paying wages, etc. I said, are we going to be okay?

And he put his hands on my shoulders, arms outstretched straight, and he said, as surely and obviously and simply as anything, “I can handle it.” And, I believe him, because he always does, and he always has. 

Where have all the old school men gone? Who keep on regardless of all the external pressures, to feed their families, to support their wives, to be props to everyone else, leaving what looks like no room left for themselves? Yet still they retain a strong, silent, stoic nature - a rock amongst the storm?

He would say - “I’ll provide the food. I’ll get you your house. You’ll have all your things. Just do me one favour? Stay sweet to me, cook me my steak, enjoy the kids, and everything will be more than okay. As long as me and you are good, everything is good.”

”Have I ever let you down before?”

I’ll answer no. He always replies, with a raised brow, “Well then?” And he turns to get on with his day.

You may have noticed, I have, unless I’m wrong, that the general British population aren’t really talking about the raising prices on a chit chat daily level. You could accuse us all of even ignoring it, burying our heads in the sand? I think there is a way we are going to deal with this as a nation. You are included in this Dias because you are “one of us” you slick Greek b*****d! Winston Churchill said it best, 

“The English know how to make the best of things. Their so-called muddling through is simply skill at dealing with the inevitable."

— Winston Churchill.

Time to be bold, not meek. Never let a good crisis go to waste 😉

x

7 hours ago, mylolita said:

Where have all the old school men gone? Who keep on regardless of all the external pressures, to feed their families, to support their wives, to be props to everyone else, leaving what looks like no room left for themselves? Yet still they retain a strong, silent, stoic nature - a rock amongst the storm?

I don't think it has to do with being "old school", I don't think 50 years ago it was much different, maybe a bit but not that much. It's more about the personality. Some people are naturally more competent, this is how it was designed by nature. Now what happens if you got the short end of the stick? Discussion for another day!

I do agree however that it's much more important for men than for women to try difficult things and deal with difficult situations. I honestly believe it's almost essential for men to do difficult things and learn how to deal with the consequences of their actions, it's the only way to build character.  Being born with balls does not mean you are a man, you are a male but to be a man it requires a lot more than this in my opinion. Everyone has different standards of what a "man" is  but hey to each his own. 

8 hours ago, mylolita said:

You may have noticed, I have, unless I’m wrong, that the general British population aren’t really talking about the raising prices on a chit chat daily level. You could accuse us all of even ignoring it, burying our heads in the sand? I think there is a way we are going to deal with this as a nation.

Well, to be honest, we can't do anything. Talking about it won't change the reality. Btw, the rising cost of living is not only in the UK, it's global, the war has a global effect since Russia provided substantial percentage of gas world-wide which subsequently affects logistics and transportation etc etc

Fun fact (and not so fun at the same time): When Russia runs out of ammunition and weapons in this war it buys supplies from Europe. I will leave it at that, this game is above my pay grade anyway. Actually with my petty salary I am not even in this grading system hahahaha

8 hours ago, mylolita said:

You are included in this Dias because you are “one of us” you slick Greek b*****d! 

image.thumb.png.4b2537a680e849bef3984079486ddcf1.png

• Haha 1

I had a lot of emotional ups and downs lately. Everything is good so I guess it's just hormones. I feel like poop, tired and unmotivated some days which is normal. I get it ...

I don't sleep well, I do get to sleep 6-8 hours but I still feel lethargic. I had some bad dreams yesterday and woke up early. Went for a walk at the waterfront, it's nice in the morning when everyone is asleep and the city is empty.

I bought a 1.1 litre flask for my morning coffee. Cups don't do it for me anymore...

Ha I can vote for the elections in the UK, I didn't know this. Not that it would make any difference as I won't vote but it's nice to have the option. 

If the vote was to get a pay rise I would vote, vote other people to make decisions for me  nope. Nobody can represent me other than myself and my life is the same regardless of which puppet is in the government. If the government promises me a multi-million IT deal I could change my opinion (I am very flexible lol) but until then I don't care.

On 5/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, dias said:

I don't think it has to do with being "old school", I don't think 50 years ago it was much different, maybe a bit but not that much. It's more about the personality. Some people are naturally more competent, this is how it was designed by nature. Now what happens if you got the short end of the stick? Discussion for another day!

I do agree however that it's much more important for men than for women to try difficult things and deal with difficult situations. I honestly believe it's almost essential for men to do difficult things and learn how to deal with the consequences of their actions, it's the only way to build character.  Being born with balls does not mean you are a man, you are a male but to be a man it requires a lot more than this in my opinion. Everyone has different standards of what a "man" is  but hey to each his own. 

Well, to be honest, we can't do anything. Talking about it won't change the reality. Btw, the rising cost of living is not only in the UK, it's global, the war has a global effect since Russia provided substantial percentage of gas world-wide which subsequently affects logistics and transportation etc etc

Fun fact (and not so fun at the same time): When Russia runs out of ammunition and weapons in this war it buys supplies from Europe. I will leave it at that, this game is above my pay grade anyway. Actually with my petty salary I am not even in this grading system hahahaha

image.thumb.png.4b2537a680e849bef3984079486ddcf1.png

Of course my dear I realise it is global don’t tar me too early yet with the dumb brush 😉

It’s all madness isn’t it. We think Lord Musk is going to restore free speech and save us all and then fly our kids out to Mars to go live in dewy little space greenhouses. 

I hope he does 🤣 not the Mars bit. There is no glamour to Mars and I have always found space seriously creepy! 

Let’s see. Don’t diss your salary Dias! It is something to be proud of! You are doing things for yourself! What’s my salary huh! LOL! Nothing! Nothing if I don’t have my husband! I am like, a glorified bum! So, be proud of what you have achieved and what is yet to come!

PS - I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling your usual perky self Dias! Not like you. Rest up! Can you take a holiday? Travelling always seems to inspire and refresh you doesn’t it! Time for a mini break with your camera and maybe a smaller cup of coffee… 🥲 I know it is highly ironic coming from me, Queen of Caffeine - but we all know it does and can affect your quality of sleep. Ever seen those cute herbal teas you can get? At Holland and Barrett? Sleep Tea! They call it. Anyway, probably just a relaxing routine drink thing but some people swear by them. And lavender scented Epsom bath salts. Especially after all that exercise you gruel yourself too! And, are you exercising late in the afternoon or evening? That can amp you up too much for sleep.

Anyway, sorry, I realise it is very rude you never asked for advice. Call it, motherly concern as, I am two years older than you (🤣) a mother (🤣) a nag (😅) an elder sibling (🥲) and caring (🤪).

x

On 5/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, mylolita said:

Of course my dear I realise it is global don’t tar me too early yet with the dumb brush 😉

https://todayuknews.com/economy/uk-rate-rise-expectations-pared-back-after-bank-of-england-warning/

image.png.f2a238a2e725b91b0fea49c1d6b561b9.png

The next 2-3 years would be interesting, I think we would have a huge drop in property prices when the housing bubble bursts worldwide. It won't be like 2008 but there is certainly a housing bubble going on the last few years globally and this war has a domino effect. If I knew how to short the housing bubble like in the movie I would bet all my savings. It's pretty obvious things are going this way. Hedge funds will have a party. I might buy a property when it happens just for the sake of exploiting the opportunity. 

Let’s see. Don’t diss your salary Dias! It is something to be proud of! You are doing things for yourself! What’s my salary huh! LOL! Nothing! Nothing if I don’t have my husband! I am like, a glorified bum! So, be proud of what you have achieved and what is yet to come!

Thanks 🙂 I am proud but I am not satisfied. I am nowhere close I imaged myself to be ten years ago. But hey, I am paying the consequences of my mistakes and my immaturity, you can't escape from those and you can't travel back in time unfortunately. If Elon discovers a time travel machine I would be the first to volunteer for the experiments (when I am old and frail of course hahahaha)

PS - I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling your usual perky self Dias! Not like you. Rest up! Can you take a holiday? Travelling always seems to inspire and refresh you doesn’t it!

Yeah I am thinking about it. I don't know. I feel an immense nostalgia for NYC, I don't know why, I want to go back even though I don't like big cities. Not going to happen right now but this year I will definitely book a flight to the US if they ease the stupid covid restrictions. My covid passport expires this month, I am not going to have another dose for nothing. "Covid passport" man, this sounds so f*cking ridiculous. 

I know it is highly ironic coming from me, Queen of Caffeine 

We are two coffee addicts advising each other to stop our addiction. It's so silly and funny hahahahahahaahahaha 🙂  Meh, I don't think I will ever cut down on coffee, I am truly an addict. I drink coffee in the morning to be more alert and take valerian/melatonin tablets with a bit of whiskey at night to sleep. True addict lol. 

Anyway, sorry, I realise it is very rude you never asked for advice. Call it, motherly concern as, I am two years older than you (🤣) a mother (🤣) a nag (😅) an elder sibling (🥲) and caring (🤪).

You know I always welcome your input 🙂