Girl is not ready for a serious relationship after a big break up

Alone Kangaroo

Hi,

I met with a girl who broke up with a guy a few years ago while she was engaged. She was refusing to talk to other guys and saying she is not ready for a serious relationship but she accepted to speak to me to get to know each other. She had a good reference about me from her family and friends. 

Everything went well first week, she was engaged and writing me back long messages. However, I thought she was losing interest and I was very passionate to get to know her and I felt like she is the right person so I told her that I’m thinking serious about this relationship and would like to have a long term happy relationship. 

She said that this message was very heavy for her and she hasn’t thought about a relationship for a long time. We messaged each other a few more days and then she said she is not ready to commit a relationship and she doesn’t think that this will lead more than a friendship and she doesn’t want to give me hope. 

I really want to get to know her as I feel like she is the right person. What do you guys think I should do? Do you think she is really not ready or she doesn’t like me? Thank you in advance

She's not interested romantically and she might be turned off that you didn't understand that from the beginning. She was just being friendly. 

Don't beat yourself up over this. Aggressiveness or pushiness is not confidence so don't mix those. Remain respectful of what she's saying and don't pursue her anymore. Always respect what the other person is saying. 

30 minutes ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

Everything went well first week, she was engaged and writing me back long messages. However, I thought she was losing interest and I was very passionate to get to know her and I felt like she is the right person so I told her that I’m thinking serious about this relationship and would like to have a long term happy relationship. 

To clarify, did you tell her all this before even meeting her in person?

58 minutes ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

not ready for a serious relationship

59 minutes ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

felt like she is the right person so I told her that I’m thinking serious about this relationship and would like to have a long term happy relationship. 

These two statements showcase that you two presently have opposite relationship goals. That should be a dealbreaker. When someone puts a barrier up from the get-go, move on. You will be wasting time while actual candidates for a good life partner pass you by. Don't even stay as friends. It won't last when either of you gets a partner, and will keep hope alive when it shouldn't be.

1 hour ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

she said she is not ready to commit a relationship and she doesn’t think that this will lead more than a friendship and she doesn’t want to give me hope. 

I don't know why you would disregard what she just told you.

Telling someone you aren't interested in them romantically isn't an easy thing to do.  To plow forward disregarding what she clearly stated would feel disrespectful.  Don't do it.

2 hours ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

She was refusing to talk to other guys and saying she is not ready for a serious relationship but she accepted to speak to me to get to know each other.

2 hours ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

, I thought she was losing interest and I was very passionate to get to know her and I felt like she is the right person so I told her that I’m thinking serious about this relationship and would like to have a long term happy relationship. 

You know 'her state',, If you cannot accept that she does not want anymore than a friendship, then leave her be.

5 hours ago, Alone Kangaroo said:

We have seen each other many times but didn’t speak much before.

After she broke up with her ex, she moved to another city so I hadn’t seen her in person when we began talking. 

So you've never been on a date with her?

I think you got really carried away, in that case. You're telling her you're excited about a relationship when you two have never actually gone out in any romantic capacity. You put the cart before the horse here. 

She is trying to politely turn you down. Despite how you feel, she doesn't recipricate your interest. Best to move on from this one. 

Archived