I don't have the money behind me to leave him

Amy B

I am currently living with my partner in his house with my son. The relationship is breaking down and I'm in a situation where I don't have the money behind me to leave him and rent a property. 

I'm working but not earning enough money to rent a property. 

What options do I have, as I'm feeling that I need to stay to keep a roof over mine and my sons head. 

31 minutes ago, Amy B said:

I'm feeling that I need to stay to keep a roof over mine and my sons head. 

Sorry this is happening. How long have you been dating? How long have you lived there?

Is your child's father paying child support? Where did you live before?

If you have no family or friends you can stay with, look into house shares or other affordable housing.

Go to social services and see what assistance you qualify for in terms of housing, food, childcare, medical care for yourself and your child.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wiseman2 said:

Sorry this is happening. How long have you been dating? How long have you lived there?

Is your child's father paying child support? Where did you live before?

If you have no family or friends you can stay with, look into house shares or other affordable housing.

Go to social services and see what assistance you qualify for in terms of housing, food, childcare, medical care for yourself and your child.

I have the same exact advice.  Good luck.

• kamurj changed the title to I don't have the money behind me to leave him

There are probably rental assistance programs in your area especially as a single parent. Keep looking. How old is your son? 

Can you also speak with your employer to see if there is more work available or discuss time off to move in with a relative? 

If you need to leave, leave. Don't stay. Keep trying. I hope you are safe and not in an abusive situation. 

11 hours ago, Amy B said:

I am currently living with my partner in his house with my son. The relationship is breaking down and I'm in a situation where I don't have the money behind me to leave him and rent a property. 

I'm working but not earning enough money to rent a property. 

What options do I have, as I'm feeling that I need to stay to keep a roof over mine and my sons head. 

The advice here is pretty solid. You need to seek out some kind of living arrangement before he kicks you out onto the street.

• Like 1

Start researching outreach channels, such as your local women's shelter, legal aid, an Internet or local domestic violence agency to speak with a counselor to form a plan.

You don't need to be beaten or harmed to qualify for help from experts in the area of getting a parent with a child out of a bad situation.

These agencies are as much preventative as they are emergency resources.

You don't need to stay trapped where you don't want to live. The only barrier to liberation is your level of willingness to become your child's advocate and seek help until you find it.

Echoing the suggestion from others to pursue social services.  If you legit don't have the income to sustain market rent, there's a decent enough chance you'd qualify for aid, especially if you're not married to this guy.  His property and income, or even the fact you live with him right now will almost certainly have zero bearing on what you qualify for.  

Don't know the guy to say whether he'd deserve it or not, but generally speaking it's not cool to pretend to be committed to someone for the sake of taking up their space.  Likewise I'm sure it's not a fun existence for you nor a great representation of adult relationships for your son.  Do some serious exploration of your options.  Best of luck.