When things get complicated

So as you all know I have to have Iron infusion treatments. I am severely anemic and iron deficient. Today I felt excited that I was going to get iron and start to feel better.

My symptoms have been getting worse. I sleep most of the days and I crave ice and raw meat. I’m not much of a meat eater so this is a strange symptom to have. I literally want a raw piece of steak. I’m also not really wanting the water just all the ice cubes in it.  

My hands and feet are so cold that when I rub my right leg with the bottom of my left foot it startles me. Because the pad of my foot is ice cold. 

So I had pre medication before the iron infusion. Then the iron infusion started. I noticed my left arm started to feel heavy. It then suddenly got worse and it got to the point I couldn’t lift my arm no matter how hard I tried! I called out “ I can’t lift my arm!” To the nurse in the treatment room. 

She rushed over and as she rushed over my mouth and throat started to tingle. Luckily she caught this early, stopped the iron infusion and gave me medication that reverses serious side effects. I was basically starting to have anaphylaxis. 

It took awhile to feel better. 

unfortunately this put me in a bit of a hard spot. 

I can’t take iron pills and now I can’t have these treatments in office. I’m waiting to hear from the doctor. 

The nurse told me once I get depleted of iron I’ll start to lose more blood and may end up requiring a blood transfusion. 

So I may need to be admitted into the hospital for this. 

During Covid! Of all times to be going to the hospital. 

I just needed to vent as I feel frustrated. 

Thank you for reading. I’m not sure what I’m asking here. I just need positive thoughts sent my way. Thank you!

oh . .I am so sorry L.  You've been through alot in the past couple of years.  You deserve a break.

I was anemic a few years back and had to go in for b12 injections for 14 days straight.  It was the weirdest thing before I was diagnosed that I craved chewing ice!   I even remember driving places, stopping at convenience stores to buy soda from a soda machine.  I'd pack the cup with ice and sprinkle it with a soda, because somehow that wasn't so weird.  And I don't even drink sodas.    It's still bizarre to reflect back how overwhelming that craving was!

I didn't mean to make this about me.  I just can relate to the  crazy cravings.  

I am so sorry you are still dealing with health issues.  I hope you get a solid answer that you are comfortable with soon!!

That’s how I’m feeling with meat! My mom will take out a steak to prepare it and I just salivate. Lol  

Thats interesting about the ice craving because I am doing the same. Except I put a lot of ice and little water. 

Thanks for the well wishes, I’m hoping I can be on the mend and stay on the mend.

Craving red meat is a normal and healthy reaction to anemia. Your body is literally craving that which will help nourish and fix that problem. Red meat and liver are excellent sources if you can't take supplements or infusions. A case of listen to your body because it's practically screaming at you what it needs.

Please look more into foods that are rich in iron and B vitamins and eat more of them. It will help a lot. Combine iron rich foods with vitamin C. For example a rare steak with kale and orange juice will give you a huge boost of what you need and help alleviate anemia.

Also, do not drink coffee, tea, or milk with or shortly after your iron rich meal as it will reduce absorption of iron. Give your body time to digest and drink those in between if you want to. Just away from meal time.

3 minutes ago, DancingFool said:

Craving red meat is a normal and healthy reaction to anemia. Your body is literally craving that which will help nourish and fix that problem. Red meat and liver are excellent sources if you can't take supplements or infusions. A case of listen to your body because it's practically screaming at you what it needs.

Please look more into foods that are rich in iron and B vitamins and eat more of them. It will help a lot. Combine iron rich foods with vitamin C. For example a rare steak with kale and orange juice will give you a huge boost of what you need and help alleviate anemia.

Also, do not drink coffee, tea, or milk with or shortly after your iron rich meal as it will reduce absorption of iron. Give your body time to digest and drink those in between if you want to. Just away from meal time.

I agree , I am very lucky to have never had an iron issue not even when pregnant, ever. My iron is excellent but I am a meat eater. 

34 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I agree , I am very lucky to have never had an iron issue not even when pregnant, ever. My iron is excellent but I am a meat eater. 

Yup, red meat specifically comes complete with other nutrients that help the body absorb iron. It's sort of an all in one package. Ditto for liver. Nutritionally, that's the best and fastest boost of iron and other blood builders you can give to your body quickly.

For OP, when you are in such a dire situation, I'd be eating that stuff whether you like it or not, like meds. Do try your best to get lean beef and grass fed beef in particular because it is better quality nutritionally and naturally more lean.

Combine that with dark leafy greens, some vitamin C rich foods and snack on some raisins in between meals. It will help a lot.

Ultimately, no matter how perfectly tailored your diet is, if your intestines are not absorbing the nutrients, push the doctors to sort out why. Anemia is a symptom and while you need to address it, it's even more critical to find out the actual cause and you will need to push hard and relentlessly for that. Hugs and wish you well.

Update:

It wasn’t an allergic reaction to the iron infusion. I got home and almost passed out in the shower the next thing I know my left arm went totally numb and I couldn’t move it at all! My mom rushed me to the emergency room. 

I just now got home from the hospital. 

I was in ICU these past two days because I suffered a small TIA stroke. I was put on this dangerous medication that saved my life and my arm function. 

The hematologist I will be seeing shortly again soon. She called me while I was in ICU on my phone and sent a doctor from her practice to check up on me. 

Im tired and I’m a bit frightened. The fact at 38 I suffered a small stroke, it’s making me push harder to loose the weight and get my health back.

Thank you everyone! 

I’ve never dealt with so many emotions all at once. 

In the ER I had two minutes to consent on a dangerous medication that will help me with the stroke but possibly kill me due to its possible side effect of a bad brain bleed. It was either that or face the damage the stroke would leave me. Which was use of my left arm if I didn’t take the medicine. I sat there freaking out and decided to trust this stranger. 

I am feeling right now lucky I made it out with no side effects from the medicine. 
I have complete use of my left arm.  
My stroke was TIA which is a really small one. Although the doctors at the moment of giving me the medicine were prepared for a full on large one. 

Im still positive about my life heading in a good direction. I’m positive about finding love again and getting my health back. 

Right now though my emotions are haywire as I went through something high stress. 

Archived