11 hours ago, catfeeder said:

Consider that when some people, myself included, see a couple who doesn't match in terms of physical appearance, we credit one with not being superficial and the other with holding intelligence and unique value that can only be discovered if I AM capable of using the right lens.

Yes, exactly. It makes me happy to see proof that the world isn't as superficial as it sometimes seems. 

11 hours ago, catfeeder said:

As for the anxiety, I find it helpful to keep conditioning myself to use my best internal voice rather than allowing myself to sink to the lowest--and imaginary--judge and jury. So, if I can't be on my own side to inspire myself away from sinking low, who can?

I get that this isn't instant. It's a habit like any other, which can be cultivated or replaced. So pick your voice, carefully. Speak to yourself as though you've hired your most inspiring coach. What would THAT person say to you?

Also a good point. It takes practice to be positive. But it does work when you do it. But until you do it right, it seems like it doesn't work. So, it can take a leap of faith to keep trying. But if you keep trying, you will eventually get it right, and it will work. 

When times are particularly tough, the positive self-talk can feel ineffective. But still--keep trying. It does get stronger and more powerful with practice. 

Edited by Jibralta
11 hours ago, Jibralta said:

Yes, exactly. It makes me happy to see proof that the world isn't as superficial as it sometimes seems. 

Also a good point. It takes practice to be positive. But it does work when you do it. But until you do it right, it seems like it doesn't work. So, it can take a leap of faith to keep trying. But if you keep trying, you will eventually get it right, and it will work. 

When times are particularly tough, the positive self-talk can feel ineffective. But still--keep trying. It does get stronger and more powerful with practice. 

Thanks, J. I think you get that I don't mean to sound trite about the mind spins of anxiety and OCD. We are not always in charge of our body's response, or even the patterns of our mind--but we ARE in charge of the content.

Self talk is our most valuable asset--or enemy. We DO get to choose that much.

• Like 1