Tips for Dealing with Unrealistic/Oblivious Boss(es)

36 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Today is my last day of work.

image.png.497728e9c23858007cf57c0e5aa1a05f.png

Will you please just lie to me and tell me you did something crazy for your final exit?? Burn your bra on your desk, knock over the 5 gallon water container, order a stripper and have her show up in Simon’s office, set a horse loose in the building...my only limit is your imagination. 😂

1 hour ago, indea08 said:

Burn your bra on your desk, knock over the 5 gallon water container, order a stripper and have her show up in Simon’s office, set a horse loose in the building...my only limit is your imagination. 😂

LOL, the last two would be especially awesome! Too bad most people in the company (including me) are working from home these days. And there's never any telling when Simon or Kasey are going to be in the office or not. 

I can't believe this is the last day that I have any obligation towards these people. It feels too good to be true. I've never been so happy to leave a job.

My head is still spinning from this experience. I've never before in my life met people like these two characters. It's going to take a long time to process!

After I drop my computer off at the local office (which is empty), I'll have the next nine days off. Freedom is just a few short hours away....

Well, it is done. Feels weird, like I'm not actually free yet. I just deleted their gmail account from my browser and phone. Feels like I've done something illegal lol.

Hassan told me that they had a company meeting this morning. I said, "Simon likes to have a company meeting every time there is a major disruption."

It's true. I first saw it happen over the summer, when I was working as a surveyor. After they fired Marshal (one of their crew chiefs)*, Simon sent the team a warm email with a bunch of bs about teamwork and weakest links. Everybody laughed because we all knew that Roy (the other crew chief) was putting in his two week notice that same day. I later found out from Roy that he (Roy) sent his resignation at almost the same moment that Simon sent his go team! damage control email. Awkward.

So then two out of three survey crews had no crew chief. We were all called into the office the very next week for a staff meeting. We were supposed to come prepared to discuss challenges that we faced in the field as well as communication issues with the office. But instead, Simon spent the first half an hour talking about his journey to America from Armenia in the 80s. Then we all introduced ourselves like we hadn't been working together for two months. Then we spent the rest of the day getting instructions on how to survey (pointless). Simon's phone rang midway through the meeting and he left permanently. We were given no opportunity to voice our actual opinions, and no discussion about challenges ever took place. It was just a smooth-over. 

When I went to lunch with Kasey and Simon in October, Simon asked, "What did you think about Marshal?" I thought that was such a crazy question for someone in a leadership position to ask. But I know now that Simon is extremely concerned about appearances. It's to a point where appearances are probably more important to him than reality. Appearances are his reality. 

The next major staff meeting occurred after I got into it with Simon over QC, and told him that people complained that no one could ever reach him. He had a meeting the very next day. Mandatory. Office-wide. I posted about it in this thread.

And today, another mandatory, office-wide staff meeting. Damage control. When Simon gets shaken up, he gathers his employees around him and holds court. 

*In retrospect, Marshal's dismissal is a very interesting story. I doubted his account of things at the time, but now I've practically lived his experience. 

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Are you going to start a new journal about the new job?

Maybe. It's definitely been floating around in the back of my mind. Even though this chapter of my career is closed, my mind is still whirling with activity about it, trying to process the events and understand them. I know that as I start my new job, I will have my last job fresh in my mind. But I am reluctant to write about my new job in this thread, because I don't want my recent negative experiences to cast a pall over a new chapter. I usually write about career stuff in my regular journal. But this last experience has caused me to branch off a bit. A new journal could be the answer. 

2 hours ago, Jibralta said:

Maybe. It's definitely been floating around in the back of my mind. Even though this chapter of my career is closed, my mind is still whirling with activity about it, trying to process the events and understand them. I know that as I start my new job, I will have my last job fresh in my mind. But I am reluctant to write about my new job in this thread, because I don't want my recent negative experiences to cast a pall over a new chapter. I usually write about career stuff in my regular journal. But this last experience has caused me to branch off a bit. A new journal could be the answer. 

I understand. Consider whether you've found it helpful to be supported by your friends here in terms of finding the best possible perceptions to adopt in your observations.

The idea of doing this might actually help you decide all on your own how you'll best want to view things as you document them. In that case, feedback would be secondary, because you'd already be adopting your most beneficial lens as you write.

While I'm in your corner, and I'd love to hear this info from you, I can appreciate any choice you make.

Be well, luv!
Cat

Feedback is always secondary, actually. It's always welcome, but I find the primary value in articulating the thoughts.

It's a lot like drawing. When I have an idea out on paper (or screen) where I can see it, then I can re-evaluate, adjust, redraw until it represents the idea that's in my head.

It helps me to understand what it is, to imagine it from other angles. 

• 11 months later...

Well, it's been nearly a year since I last posted on this thread. I read through it the other day. It was kind of fun to take that rollercoaster ride again--but with a little distance under my belt! 

Boy, am I glad to be out of there! But I'm also glad that I saw that whole thing through, and that I didn't give up or quit. It got really bad sometimes.

The more time passes, the more perspective I have on everything. The last 9 years have been pretty instructive, actually. That last job was an amazingly appropriate crescendo to a culmination of stupidity. I gained a lot of insight from that experience, and (weirdly) I wouldn't trade it for the world. But I'm glad I got out of there, and I am very grateful that I was able to navigate my exit so successfully. It taught me what I can handle, and what I can accomplish.

What can I say about my new job.... Well, I haven't posted much about it. For me, that seems to be a good sign! When things go bad is when I start writing.

I really like my new job. Yes, there's a lot of work. Yes, it's hectic and demanding and time consuming and I often feel stress. But the important things are all there. The bosses are involved and they take responsibility. My coworkers are accountable and helpful. The dynamic is healthy. Things aren't perfect of course, but they are good and they seem to be getting better. And I am happy here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, Jibralta said:

I got a bonus the other day. A nice one. It made me think about how different these people are from Simon, and from my job before Simon. There are all kinds of ways for people to run a business. 

Yaaay, J!!! Thank you for thinking of us and letting us know. Usually no news is good news, but hearing of great news is a fantastic gift!

((((YOU!)))),
Cat