Hurt my GF's friend's feelings, now it feels like my gf is icing me out. How do I make this right?

AnonGurl12

So, I'll keep it short. My girlfriend (21 female), her best friend (21 female), and I (22 female) were all hanging out online. We were playing COD and generally having a good time. My gf and I make tons of jokes, the kind you only make with someone you're close to. Now, her friend and I are close but not super close, and I misjudged how comfortable we were together. I made a joke about her being larger than both my gf and I (we were talking about who would take the upper hand in a fight, just for fun) and it triggered her insecurity about her weight. She was really hurt and I think I even heard her cry a little. I apologized profusely, and I feel terrible. We finished playing and all went offline, and I wrote a long text to the friend telling her how sorry I was for being such an *** and for hurting her. She said we were good (and I know that doesn't mean things are fixed). Anyway, my girlfriend and I chatted like normal for another hour. She was really mad at me and I told her she was totally right to be, and how sorry I was, and that I'd messaged her friend privately to apologize. She seemed satisfied with that but still mad (fair enough). Fast forward two hours and there's just... radio silence. She's not messaging me at all. She sends me one message at the end of the day, two lines long. The next day is the same. Minimal contact and nothing of substance. I'm not spamming her or trying to get her to open up because I know she might want space, and I also don't want to be jumping at shadows if she's just busy. But it really feels like she's icing me out. And I feel terrible. I really was an ***, and I don't know what to say or do from here.

I don't think there's anything else you can do. 

You already did the right thing apologizing to her friend, and taking ownership of your insensitive remarks. You explained this to both of them. 

Is your girlfriend the type who stays mad for days and essentially gives the silent treatment? 

Archived