Self care ideas

3 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

So glad to hear!  Do you mean with respect to keeping your blood pressure normal?

Anything that provides relaxation really. 
I have been doing breathing exercises about 7 times a day which has greatly impacted my stress for the better. 

I am sure people have tons of good ideas to switch things up. 

1 minute ago, Seraphim said:

Anything that provides relaxation really. 
I have been doing breathing exercises about 7 times a day which has greatly impacted my stress for the better. 

I am sure people have tons of good ideas to switch things up. 

Oh ok I see!  My morning workout -all outdoors now - helps a ton - getting my heart rate up for about 33 minutes does wonders for my body and my mood and being outside actually has turned out to increase the relaxation part for me because of the fresh air, the solitude, and often the opportunity to see the sun rise.

1 minute ago, Batya33 said:

Oh ok I see!  My morning workout -all outdoors now - helps a ton - getting my heart rate up for about 33 minutes does wonders for my body and my mood and being outside actually has turned out to increase the relaxation part for me because of the fresh air, the solitude, and often the opportunity to see the sun rise.

For me it would have to be at night, but might be possible. 

Self care is important!  Is when we focus more on ourselves- we need it, especially to try & avoid things like burnout.. been there  😞 

For myself.. I have been journaling a lot to 'get it out of me'...I have been trying to keep up with my sleep ( schedule), eat better/ get vitamins etc into me & keep system boosted.

I like to watch my shows.. some movies & on occasion get lost in my tunes.

I walk the dog at least 3 times a week and I have taken up a craft - crochet- which I was able to succeed with, this past year  :) 

If you like baths, take them.. try & relax while there... need to try and 'focus on the moment'. * Mindfulness*.

Basically try & have it so you DO have some down time - just for YOU ❤️ 

13 hours ago, Seraphim said:

For me it would have to be at night, but might be possible. 

Yes, I used to have to work out at night when I was working full time.  For me it has to be in the morning and first thing -for scheduling and for my health (TMI it helps with some digestion issues that crop up).

I read an awesome article on self care a few weeks ago - so in line with my thinking -the mistake people make thinking self care means spa day and baths and facials.  Sure for some - that's one category but the article said things you do to push yourself, to challenge yourself - whether mental or physical -that is self care.  I avoid trendy labels so how that article defines "self care" is what I've known helps me for many years.  The morning work out is one example because I really have to prep myself for it mentally and physically - sometimes my body and/or mind is saying "I don't wanna" but my self-care is that I do it anyway -and actually - based on what a friend shared with me decades ago -even harder. 

She used to swim daily no matter how exhausted she was and she knew once she started it would be like autopilot and she told me when she felt like she couldn't, she pushed herself even harder.  I do that. It feels awesome or as kids say today "super awesome".

I get it.  When i was able to go to my building's fitness room pre covid I'd go at 5 or earlier if I woke up on my own at that time.  Now I can't go outside at that time -not safe.  I go to the park's jogging oval down the block and sometimes just do the sidewalks at the perimeter if the oval is too wet/muddy.  I am a morning person and no longer a night person.  Also for me mentally I want to get it over with ASAP because my daily life can be unpredictable and there's too much risk that something else will get in the way of me going and I go daily.  A shorter time than decades ago - about 33-35 minutes - but daily so that I have the routine and so I know for sure I can fit it in in the morning - it takes me a total of about 45-50 minutes between getting up, putting on workout clothing, grabbing my water/sneakers/coat, working out then getting back upstairs.  I can't really spend more time as I have to make breakfast for my son, and on school days make sure he logs in.  I can't wait till I can use the fitness room safely again especially on bad weather days. 

I also find it wakes me up beautifully.  I have my clothes on my night stand so even if I'm really tired like today I can just be on autopilot and go through the motions. You will find what works for you! I had to work hard to figure that out.  And when we travel or my schedule is messed up I have to figure out how to fit it in.  I once took a boat at disney world to a hiking trail - main street at magic kingdom was not gonna cut it LOL.  

7 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

For me, spending time in nature is a great selfcare! 

I love to garden, too, and it's relaxing, creative (I design beautiful plants around our property!), productive (fruits and vegetables!) and takes care of myself mentally/emotionally to do it.

We can only garden from May to about Sept, but it is nice while it lasts . 

40 minutes ago, catfeeder said:

The breathing is a great thing, and congrats on being diligent with it to see results.

During your breathing, what do you focus on visually?

I don’t use a visual focus but a mental one. Usually the fact that I am empowered if I choose to be. 

I do a lot of yoga. It opens up all my muscles, joints and I feel as limber as I was when I was 18. It's also so freeing (mentally/spiritually). Everything snaps back into place and realigns. This is a huge part of my self-care and just a personal choice to incorporate into my daily life. I do it morning and night. 

I also run so have been occupied with this new hobby and also aware of the wear/tear on joints so taking it easy. Lately the yoga practices have been a bit more intense so it's a full body work out for me and I am shelving the runs. I'm working out my upper body so I don't become pear-shaped as I age. I used to have very strong shoulders so am glad to be getting them back. 

Breathing is part of yoga and exercise and it does help!

Do you do neck stretches? Sometimes those help tremendously (simple stretching). Try rolling your neck and pulling your arms upwards and backwards. Stretch your shoulders. 

I had to go for massage therapy after overdoing it sea kayaking some years ago and the RMT showed me neck exercises to stretch out the scar tissue in my neck muscles so I have started doing these regularly (more regularly than before). Over time the tissue heals itself but like you, I also carry stress in my neck and shoulders so have been paying close attention to them. 

Yoga also helps with posture which overall has a positive effect on the joints and muscles. 

I bought Callanetics for your back -the book -used ($8) partly on Jibralta's recommendation -meaning she mentioned the author and I found the book.  It's great and it's helping my lower back issues that cropped up in the last few months - but good for all back issues.

Archived