I get so angry to the point of wanting to hurt someone

I’ve had anger issues my whole life. I’ve gotten into fights, broken things, drove recklessly and even wrecked my car once because i lost my temper. I’ve tried working out, medication, and all kinds of things. I just don’t understand why I can’t just not get angry over small things. Now that I’m older I’ve learned to hide it better, but unfortunately I also have high blood pressure I suppose as a result. When I get angry now I have thoughts of hurting people or worse.
Has anyone else had these feelings? Is there any good way to channel this bad energy into something positive? I feel like if I keep going this way I’m gonna end up having a stroke or heart attack. 😢

Edited by Ape3oz
  • Ape3oz changed the title to I get so angry to the point of wanting to hurt someone
7 minutes ago, Ape3oz said:

. When I get angry now I have thoughts of hurting people or worse.
. 😢

You need to see a physician ASAP and get regular follow up with a therapist.

You're right. You will end up with a lot of medical, legal and financial problems if you don't see a doctor and stick to a treatment program.

If you are drinking, taking drugs or steroids you'll also need rehab and ongoing support for that.

No never had these feelings, they're not normal, but you already know that.

Get treatment before you end up in jail or the ER.

5 hours ago, Ape3oz said:

I’ve had anger issues my whole life. I’ve gotten into fights, broken things, drove recklessly and even wrecked my car once because i lost my temper. I’ve tried working out, medication, and all kinds of things. I just don’t understand why I can’t just not get angry over small things. Now that I’m older I’ve learned to hide it better, but unfortunately I also have high blood pressure I suppose as a result. When I get angry now I have thoughts of hurting people or worse.
Has anyone else had these feelings? Is there any good way to channel this bad energy into something positive? I feel like if I keep going this way I’m gonna end up having a stroke or heart attack. 😢

Not to the extent that you describe. When I was an adolescent, I did pick my share of fights. But I mellowed as I got older. I don't think I was in a physical fight after age 13.

I've definitely lost my temper and done stupid things, and occasionally I still envision beating the everliving sh*t out of someone from time to time. But I don't act on those feelings. 

Have you looked into anger management classes?

You said you tried medication. How many different types and for how long?

That's probably the answer. You can't wait for the results that might come after years of therapy, if at all.

Doing pushups won't solve this problem.

• Like 1

I’m currently not in any type of therapy, but have been before..one on one as well as group. I took all kinds of meds mostly for anxiety/depression, but stopped taking them as I feel like it made the anxiety worse or made me feel like a zombie. Both have never really helped. I have mellowed out as well, especially after the wreck, that was 13 years ago. And I haven’t been in a fight since my teens. It’s mostly the racing thoughts and feeling bottled up. 

14 hours ago, Ape3oz said:

Has anyone else had these feelings? Is there any good way to channel this bad energy into something positive?

Have you had some prof help?  therapists can help you work thru things.. coping skills etc.

How about running/ being active (to vent it out)... a sport or hobby.

To learn to 'control' your anger is a big deal.. you don't want to do this.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Ape3oz said:

I took all kinds of meds mostly for anxiety/depression, but stopped taking them as I feel like it made the anxiety worse or made me feel like a zombie.

- I have had several as well in my days, but i did end up going back on one ( for mood stablizing- lamotrigine).  Thankfully that is working better now.  I do not favour anti depr, but we are all different.

I hope, as you go off your meds, you wean off them- not just stop.

I also journal a lot- it becomes 'visual' as I release it all from in my head... maybe look into this?

I get lost in my music for a while.. enjoy movies. tv, bake etc..  To keep my mind busy.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:14 AM, Ape3oz said:

I feel like if I keep going this way I’m gonna end up having a stroke or heart attack. 😢

Or you could end up in prison.

You have the Internet at your fingertip to research therapists or anger management programs. I'd contact both to learn from experts.

• Like 1