Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

Surreal

Hollyj

And it will all come good for you hard-pressed people over there across the wild Atlantic.

I was just musing about a wonderful visit to Washington DC, and a tour of the wonderful rooms of the Capitol, culminating in a lunch (compliments of a Congressman)  in the members dining room. (Perhaps you call it something else, maybe Congressmen/women's dining room?).  I can't remember. I still have photos. 

On the occasions I have returned to Washington DC and even if I only had some brief time to spare I managed to get to a few of the wonderful museums.  Walked so much!  And then I have fond memories of going into a place (now closed I hear) called the "Half Shell" for a few oysters and other terrific food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LaHermes said:

And it will all come good for you hard-pressed people over there across the wild Atlantic.

I was just musing about a wonderful visit to Washington DC, and a tour of the wonderful rooms of the Capitol, culminating in a lunch (compliments of a Congressman)  in the members dining room. (Perhaps you call it something else, maybe Congressmen/women's dining room?).  I can't remember. I still have photos. 

On the occasions I have returned to Washington DC and even if I only had some brief time to spare I managed to get to a few of the wonderful museums.  Walked so much!  And then I have fond memories of going into a place (now closed I hear) called the "Half Shell" for a few oysters and other terrific food.

It's a great city.   Some really good food, and many sights to see.  Even better that the museums are free.

• Like 2

Gosh yes Holly. A great city . Which saddens me more to see those photos today.....

Great food. I seemed to do nothing but eat while there. Lol. Sadly some restaurants succumbed to the recession. I recall going with a cousin and friends to a place on a corner almost opposite the FBI building. I was discouraged from attempting to get a photo beside an FBI jeep. 

Just now, LaHermes said:

Gosh yes Holly. A great city . Which saddens me more to see those photos today.....

Great food. I seemed to do nothing but eat while there. Lol. Sadly some restaurants succumbed to the recession. I recall going with a cousin and friends to a place on a corner almost opposite the FBI building. I was discouraged from attempting to get a photo beside an FBI jeep. 

There is a fantastic Serbian restaurant in the city.  There is also a large Ethiopian community, more great food.  

I bet.  With a few months there I'd get round to all the restaurants. Lol.

As it was and the folks there were on the "we aim to impress" junket, I spent a lot of time in The Old Ebbitt, and even in Mortons. 

I love trying different cuisines.  Every country. 

Wandered around the train station.  A fine building in itself. Even witnessed a helluva row among a family who were in there presumably waiting for a train! 

Edited by LaHermes

This nightmare is being referred to as a covid super spreader event. 

Heck if they had sheets over thier heads like the rest of thier ilk that could at least have been better than viking costumes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I miss The old DC. I lived right outside of it before moving further away and went there there every weekend to unwind. Just a 15 min drive. Whether it was a bar crawl, cupcake cafe around Georgetown,  a Caps/Wizards game, a late-night cult movie viewing on E Street, the Wharf fishing market, or any special events - folk fest, cherry blossom, concerts, runs, etc. But since we had riots last year (way before the recent one), it is not the same. I got a buddy who is a firefighter in DC who warned me to avoid the city if possible. Sucks I really want to take my daughter to her first zoo at the National zoo.

Edited by Snny

5 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Those traitors better not show up at the ER whining that they don't feel good. 

Doubt so. DC has a law that requires non-residents to get COVID tested within 73 hours prior to entering the city

Edited by Snny

4 minutes ago, Snny said:

Doubt so. DC has a law that requires non-residents to get COVID tested within 73 hours prior to entering the city

Hm, somehow I don't think those terrorists are concerned with complying with Covid regulations.  I may have seen ONE of them with a mask on.  So regulations mean nothing to them.

• Like 1

• Top Discussions this Week

• Our picks

• Choosing to Trust
      ‘Trust’ is a philosophical choice. We can be cynical, guarded, and awaiting attack. Or open, positive, and hopeful— BUT prepared for all outcomes. Love Advice discusses the pros and cons of both positions.

• 0 replies
    • Why Your Ex Can’t Make Up His Or Her Mind
      Clay Andrews talks about Why Your Ex Can’t Make Up His Mind. After a breakup, it's really confusing when it comes to getting back together, talking to you or even just being in contact with you. It can also be extremely frustrating how your interactions have been good but your ex is insisting that ex can't be friends and withdraws inexplicably. Had a great time spending time together but still your ex can't make up her mind? By the end of this video, Clay shares some IMPORTANT TIPS on how you can deal when your ex can't make up their mind and how to get your ex back.

• 0 replies
    • Everything You Need to Know About Going "No Contact"
      1. Signs That "No Contact" Is Needed, 2. Understanding "No Contact", 3. The Benefits of "No Contact", 4. Strategies to Make "No Contact" Work, 5. What Makes "No Contact" So Hard?, 6. Why You're Struggling to Stay Away.

• 0 replies
    • 6 Signs You Are Hurting Subconsciously
      Do you value having a positive and optimistic perspective of life, no matter how bad things are? Being overly positive and optimistic can be as bad, or even worse, than having a negative approach to something. After all, lying to yourself is very rarely the best way to approach things and it can be detrimental to your mental health. So, if you're not happy or hurting about something, it is important that you acknowledge it instead of repressing and ignoring it.

• 0 replies
    • 7 Habits That Make You Irresistible
      What are some simple habits that make you irresistible to women, men, and everyone? If you want to be a more attractive person, these easy habits will get you there. Confidence is half the battle - at least.

• 0 replies