Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

And it will all come good for you hard-pressed people over there across the wild Atlantic.

I was just musing about a wonderful visit to Washington DC, and a tour of the wonderful rooms of the Capitol, culminating in a lunch (compliments of a Congressman)  in the members dining room. (Perhaps you call it something else, maybe Congressmen/women's dining room?).  I can't remember. I still have photos. 

On the occasions I have returned to Washington DC and even if I only had some brief time to spare I managed to get to a few of the wonderful museums.  Walked so much!  And then I have fond memories of going into a place (now closed I hear) called the "Half Shell" for a few oysters and other terrific food.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LaHermes said:

And it will all come good for you hard-pressed people over there across the wild Atlantic.

I was just musing about a wonderful visit to Washington DC, and a tour of the wonderful rooms of the Capitol, culminating in a lunch (compliments of a Congressman)  in the members dining room. (Perhaps you call it something else, maybe Congressmen/women's dining room?).  I can't remember. I still have photos. 

On the occasions I have returned to Washington DC and even if I only had some brief time to spare I managed to get to a few of the wonderful museums.  Walked so much!  And then I have fond memories of going into a place (now closed I hear) called the "Half Shell" for a few oysters and other terrific food.

It's a great city.   Some really good food, and many sights to see.  Even better that the museums are free.

• Like 2

Gosh yes Holly. A great city . Which saddens me more to see those photos today.....

Great food. I seemed to do nothing but eat while there. Lol. Sadly some restaurants succumbed to the recession. I recall going with a cousin and friends to a place on a corner almost opposite the FBI building. I was discouraged from attempting to get a photo beside an FBI jeep. 

Just now, LaHermes said:

Gosh yes Holly. A great city . Which saddens me more to see those photos today.....

Great food. I seemed to do nothing but eat while there. Lol. Sadly some restaurants succumbed to the recession. I recall going with a cousin and friends to a place on a corner almost opposite the FBI building. I was discouraged from attempting to get a photo beside an FBI jeep. 

There is a fantastic Serbian restaurant in the city.  There is also a large Ethiopian community, more great food.  

I bet.  With a few months there I'd get round to all the restaurants. Lol.

As it was and the folks there were on the "we aim to impress" junket, I spent a lot of time in The Old Ebbitt, and even in Mortons. 

I love trying different cuisines.  Every country. 

Wandered around the train station.  A fine building in itself. Even witnessed a helluva row among a family who were in there presumably waiting for a train! 

Edited by LaHermes

"The Old Ebbitt, and even in Mortons."   I don't know these areas.  

I love to  eat the cuisines in the countries, too.   Says so much about the culture 

This nightmare is being referred to as a covid super spreader event. 

Heck if they had sheets over thier heads like the rest of thier ilk that could at least have been better than viking costumes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I miss The old DC. I lived right outside of it before moving further away and went there there every weekend to unwind. Just a 15 min drive. Whether it was a bar crawl, cupcake cafe around Georgetown,  a Caps/Wizards game, a late-night cult movie viewing on E Street, the Wharf fishing market, or any special events - folk fest, cherry blossom, concerts, runs, etc. But since we had riots last year (way before the recent one), it is not the same. I got a buddy who is a firefighter in DC who warned me to avoid the city if possible. Sucks I really want to take my daughter to her first zoo at the National zoo.

Edited by Snny
5 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Those traitors better not show up at the ER whining that they don't feel good. 

Doubt so. DC has a law that requires non-residents to get COVID tested within 73 hours prior to entering the city

Edited by Snny
4 minutes ago, Snny said:

Doubt so. DC has a law that requires non-residents to get COVID tested within 73 hours prior to entering the city

Hm, somehow I don't think those terrorists are concerned with complying with Covid regulations.  I may have seen ONE of them with a mask on.  So regulations mean nothing to them.

• Like 1