Open Club  ·  31 members

Off Topic

I never thought I would see such a  day in my country.   I pray for peace, compromise, and unity.   

I am not trying to start a political discussion, I am just so disheartened by everything.   

• Like 8
7 minutes ago, Fudgie said:

I'm glad you wrote this. I'm very sad today. I can't believe I watched that unfold live. Still glued to the TV. 

I feel like I want to cry.   I am looking forward to better days.   

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Very.. disappointing, that behaviour.  All of it.

( I am sure it's not only me to see the instigator, who is a selfish, inconsiderate narc.)

And to see what has occurred around him these last few months.. is shocking.

No need for any of this 😞  . 

• Like 3

Shameful. Blood is being spilled that did not need to be spilled. And the instigator has no shame and continues to incite.

I hope someone is able to constrain this horrifying behavior.

I hope there's a way to recover from this.  I have faith in most of my countrymen and women.

• Like 2

My head is spinning.

On top of this atrocity, did anyone else notice this violent mob were not wearing masks and dressed in bizarre costumes?🤠🤖👹

Why do people gather for protests in a time of covid?😕

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

My head is spinning.

On top of this atrocity, did anyone else notice this violent mob were not wearing masks and dressed in bizarre costumes?🤠🤖👹

Two of my other friends mentioned the mask thing.     I would have been surprised if these people had been masked, look who they idolize.  Saw a few Confederate flags, too.    

Edited by Hollyj
32 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

My head is spinning.

Because they were incited. And these were domestic terrorists, not protestors.

Shameful that people are dying over this. Haven't we seen enough death in the past 10 months?

• Like 3

I don't quite know how to acknowledge this without it being a political conversation, but suffice to say that, for me, the saddest part about yesterday is that it was not very surprising. Felt, if anything, inevitable. 

I was born and raised a few blocks from those steps. 

• Sad 1

It kinda rocks me.  I just always assumed our nation was above all this and looked up to.

Now we look pathetic.

I am confident we will recover.  People have short term memory.  They'll find something else sensational to move onto.  We just need a moment to decompress and heal.

Group hug!

• Like 2

I feel hopeful that in approximately two weeks things will start to change.

People will get tired of hating. Hate is not sustainable for most.

Other things occurred yesterday that were wonderful! Too bad those things were overshadowed by the coup attempt. But I'm choosing to think about those good things today.

• Like 2

I always remind myself that there are way more good people in the world than bad.  Unfortunately the bad gets way more headlines and exposure.

This country and this world has seen and conquered some pretty horrible people and things before and I have faith we will again.

((HUGS))

Lost

• Like 3

When people in positions of leadership encourage us to unify rather than encouraging division, people will do so.

The way we united after the horrible tragedies of 9/11, Sandy Hook and 1 October proved this.

It's a saddening and disturbing that some of my circle of friends passionately, almost viscously rant about outrageous & kookie things.  That and the estrangement from them due to the pandemic and their polar differences about that as well, will I have friends when this is all over?  I certainly don't see them the same anymore.  Will time heal that?

• Sad 2
8 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

The way we united after the horrible tragedies of 9/11, Sandy Hook and 1 October proved this.

Wading carefully here, but...

I don't have a lot of nostalgia or pride in our response to the above. Think there may be more cautionary tales there—and links from there to here—than examples. 

Here we are, though. A lot that once simmered at the periphery and below the surface is now center stage. Like cleaning your house by shoving things into closets, and sweeping dust in to corners, there comes a point where you have to actually step up and clean up rather than find ways to call a big mess a clean home. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, for sure Bluecastle.  I don't mean that I lived in some la la land where everyone was holding hands and singing Kumbaya.  But I did see some wonderful examples of unity.

For example, I was at a very famous car auction in Vegas about 3 weeks after 1 October, held at the same hotel where the shooter committed the murders.  A car was being auctioned off to raise money for the first responders and families of the victims.  I don't recall the exact dollar amount but I remember everyone in tears when the amount topped one million dollars.  Not a dry eye in the place and there were thousands of people there.

I still believe there are more of us (people wanting peaceful unity) than there are of them (those who want division and violence).  The bad people just yell louder.

• Like 2