Jump to content

Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

Ancient Threads


Hollyj
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, MissCanuck said:

I was about to post the same thing, Holly. 

There are many decade-old threads being dug up and reposted since the site was redone. 

Something that needs to be addressed, as it is happening too often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hollyj said:

What is going on with folks resurrecting  old threads!?   Some of these threads are 10-years-old.   

No dates on "activity" Thread start dates only appear on "forums".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All are new posters who digging up old threads. I think they're doing a Google search for the topics they're worried about and Google is directing them to the threads. Since they are unfamiliar with the forum they don't know to check to see how old the threads are. OR, they see it's old but don't realize the OP isn't still checking for responses 12 years later.

Anytime I see a thread that wasn't there earlier in the day that has a lot of responses, I know it's a zombie thread.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wiseman2 said:

No dates on "activity" Thread start dates only appear on "forums".

 People have to search out these ancient threads.   They are going back years in the forums and responding.  It doesn't make  any sense.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

All are new posters who digging up old threads. I think they're doing a Google search for the topics they're worried about and Google is directing them to the threads. Since they are unfamiliar with the forum they don't know to check to see how old the threads are. OR, they see it's old but don't realize the OP isn't still checking for responses 12 years later.

Anytime I see a thread that wasn't there earlier in the day that has a lot of responses, I know it's a zombie thread.

That makes sense.  Perhaps, some of this old stuff should be cleared out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see that as a bad thing at all. If it is a new topic then of course we would rather want them to post as a separate new question rather than post as a reply to an older thread, but if it is a reply they post in an older thread then that is not a big deal. More the long time members who know how things work here should check the dates before following the new members and starting to post in the older threads.

As to why and how it happens there are several reasons. 1. the traffic is up, about 15.000 people visit the forum every day. 2. The new forum allows ENA to make registration and posting super easy, in fact you can start typing a reply before even registering. Of course for your post to actually appear here to need to finalize it by providing username, email. So that is one big advantage now we have. There are many many layers of security and checks behind that easy registration to make sure the user is not on proxy, vpn, tor, does not use disposable email, the ip is not flagged for spam. Then of course the way they find the website is through a search so they end up on an older thread and start engaging with it. That is all good and we hope they will soon adopt and learn how things work and will blend in with the overall community flow. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, there are those  of us that find it annoying.   We bring it to the mod's attention  then the thread gets closed.   Personally, I think it should be cleared out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, kamurj said:

I don't see that as a bad thing at all. If it is a new topic then of course we would rather want them to post as a separate new question rather than post as a reply to an older thread, but if it is a reply they post in an older thread then that is not a big deal

I agree... not such a big deal is it?  It's an older post, BUT issue's still arise daily of peoples issue's.

We can learn something new every day.  I don't see harm in what's going on.  Not hurting anything.. is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sorry you feel annoyed Hollyj, but that is how things work. I asked the mods not to close the older topics.

For the long time members please check the dates of the topics before you engage. For newer members it is ok, but we know how things work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also think it would be helpful to lock old threads after a specific numbers of months has elapsed with no activity. It clogs up the home page when new posters are looking for specific responses from the OP, who hasn't been back in years. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the time the new post is a question being asked of the OP.  Of course the OP isn't going to respond.  Then other posters don't think to check the date and they too respond.  IMO, it takes up someone's time to type out a detailed response only to find out they are responding to someone who hasn't logged in for years.  Plus, the mod has to take the time to close the thread (which happens probably 90% of the time).

If it's just going to be closed anyway, I guess I don't see the point of leaving them open for new responses.

But hey, I'm not in charge!  LOL

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Most of the time the new post is a question being asked of the OP.  Of course the OP isn't going to respond.  Then other posters don't think to check the date and they too respond. 

Yeah, this is my thinking too. I've seen it happen a few times. 

It doesn't serve much purpose to revive old threads and re-start a discussion with the OP when OP left the building years ago. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SooSad33 said:

I agree... not such a big deal is it?  It's an older post, BUT issue's still arise daily of peoples issue's.

We can learn something new every day.  I don't see harm in what's going on.  Not hurting anything.. is it?

I'm not bothered by it much, either. Sometimes the issue at hand is what's interesting, and it doesn't matter that the person having the issue has changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm curious how many people were visiting the forum before this change? Interesting to hear it is up to 15000 a day. 

I'm still playing around bit by bit with getting familiar with the new forum. I agree the old threads make it more labourous trying to navigate, not that it matters what I think. I do think a lot of older members won't bother figuring it out, especially considering the timing of all this (people already maxed out on changes and energy adapting right now in the world, won't be a priority for some to slug through if it's at all frustrating to them). 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

I'm curious how many people were visiting the forum before this change? Interesting to hear it is up to 15000 a day. 

 

From 3000 it changed to 15000. Several times a year there is a major search update at google which changes traffic patterns. Overall, ENA is very stable but of course the internet is a dynamic ever expanding platform where new forums pop up every day. So market share changes and evolves to. I am personally not very concerned about any of that, it much more to me than a business as I believe it has a role and mission.  

 

Screenshot 2021-01-03 201507.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those that don't like old threads being resurrected.    I found this place because I googled something when I was looking for answers about my wives behavior and I found this place.  It was an older thread but not ancient and it lead me to other threads and finally making my own.  

I think for us veterans it is an opportunity to help a newbie and get them to start their own thread.

After all that is what we are here for right?  Getting help and helping others...

I have been caught replying to a thread that was pretty old so now I do a quick check and see when it was first posted.  No biggie

 

Happy New Year!

  Lost 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It can be annoying to have these old threads crop up but I think the solution here is just to aware of the dates. Glance quick at the last couple posts (not just the last one) when you go into the thread and that will give you an idea if it's a resurrected old thread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I see a thread appear on the list that I haven't seen before but has multiple responses, I am fairly certain it's a "zombie" thread.  A quick check confirms it.

I just think it's a shame when someone takes the time to create and post a thoughtful, thorough and detailed response to an OP who hasn't logged on in many years.  Especially when it's a new poster who is asking the long-gone OP for help or to respond to a question.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lostandhurt said:

For those that don't like old threads being resurrected.    I found this place because I googled something when I was looking for answers about my wives behavior and I found this place.  It was an older thread but not ancient and it lead me to other threads and finally making my own.  

I think for us veterans it is an opportunity to help a newbie and get them to start their own thread.

After all that is what we are here for right?  Getting help and helping others...

I have been caught replying to a thread that was pretty old so now I do a quick check and see when it was first posted.  No biggie

 

Happy New Year!

  Lost 

Man, it is good to see you here, lost!! 

Happy new year to you too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, itsallgrand said:

Man, it is good to see you here, lost!! 

Happy new year to you too. 

Always good to see you, would be nice to see your avatar though...  I don't want to call people out but just looking at an "I" or "H" or "B" slows me down recognizing who's reply I am reading.  Hint hint

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2021 at 2:45 PM, boltnrun said:

If I see a thread appear on the list that I haven't seen before but has multiple responses, I am fairly certain it's a "zombie" thread.  A quick check confirms it.

I just think it's a shame when someone takes the time to create and post a thoughtful, thorough and detailed response to an OP who hasn't logged on in many years.  Especially when it's a new poster who is asking the long-gone OP for help or to respond to a question.

People can search and read old/locked threads. Threads could be locked after a certain time frame of no activity such as 3 mo, 6 mo a year, whatever. (Except journals, off topic or other non-question threads)

That would inspire new posters to start threads and new threads for updates. 

They don't annoy me at all but if people want new threads for new topics it's doable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...