Melancholy on the holiday

Merry Christmas everyone! 🎅🏾I’m usually pretty upbeat or try to be as optimistic as possible and show gratitude for all of my blessings, especially when so many are suffering, but I guess it just hit me today that for the first time in my life I won’t be spending Xmas with my senior parents.

I choose to be safe over taking the chance of traveling to see them, but it’s still depressing on top of everything going on in the world. And we’re in different states, so I can’t even do a drive by—a video chat will have to do. I’m sure other people are feeling the same, so maybe this is the place to just express your emotions, especially if you’re alone today. I’ll just tap into my spiritual strength, focus on what I’m grateful for & spend time with friends. Peace & blessings to everyone! 🙌🏽🎄🤶🏽

• Thanks 1

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way and it is very thoughtful of you not to see your parents - I'm not certain if they wanted you to come or not but either way you made such a thoughtful and healthy choice for all of you.  Even though it must be so difficult.  

Do that video chat asap!  Hopefully talking to them will make you feel better.

My son and his gf were over yest. and we had a nice, altho brief and socially distanced, visit. 

Today is the first time since I've known my husband that we've ever been alone for Christmas and we are both fine with it.  I'm glad we feel that way or it could be depressing.  We saw our daughter a few days ago so it's not like we haven't seen our kids.

Ontario, Canada goes into lockdown for 28 days and we'll be ok with that too.

I video chatted with my 84 year old mother just now...we are all safe, she's a covid survivor, we are quite content. It's just me and my husband and the cat for xmas dinner. Drinks and movies tonight at home, nice and relaxing. Just take it all in stride.

Hopefully, this will be the lowest of the low for all of us and we will be able to get back to normal in the new year.  I know this sounds a bit preachy but things could always be worse.  There seem to be less if not no DUI accidents this year, people are not blowing $$$ on presents as much with malls closed.  I guess we could all think of folks who survived the WWI and WW2 with loved ones killed in action.  Looking at people in combat over Christmas - those black and white photos/movies always shake me into reality at this time of year.  Sometimes it helps to journal and think of things you do have. Or, maybe plan a Christmas/holiday celebration in July?  Looking forward to something is always uplifting.  

Edited by sadchick83
5 hours ago, kaboom1218 said:

Merry Christmas everyone! 🎅🏾I’m usually pretty upbeat or try to be as optimistic as possible and show gratitude for all of my blessings, especially when so many are suffering, but I guess it just hit me today that for the first time in my life I won’t be spending Xmas with my senior parents.

I choose to be safe over taking the chance of traveling to see them, but it’s still depressing on top of everything going on in the world. And we’re in different states, so I can’t even do a drive by—a video chat will have to do. I’m sure other people are feeling the same, so maybe this is the place to just express your emotions, especially if you’re alone today. I’ll just tap into my spiritual strength, focus on what I’m grateful for & spend time with friends. Peace & blessings to everyone! 🙌🏽🎄🤶🏽

I hear you. My dad passed in August and my brother and his kids are with my mom and step dad and I am not. 😓

Both my parents have passed, as have most of my aunts & uncles. I am divorced. Not only is it Christmas, but today is my daughter's 30th birthday. It still amazes me that I went from having huge family gatherings during the holidays (around 50 people), to being completely alone. Except for my doggies - they are a blessing. Daughter lives out of town, plus Covid thing....

Merry CHristmas y'all.

One of the few things that cheer me up during the holidays is something my father told me before he passed away.

"At Christmastime, make sure you light up the sky with Christmas lights. That way, I can always find your house, and you will know I am with you"

ANd that is exactly what I do...

• Like 1

I'm sorry for how you feel nowadays.  Know that what you are doing is selfless.  You are protecting your parents, yourself and others.

A social media acquaintance had posted numerous social gatherings with friends and family in public and at her house ever since Feb. 2020.  None of them practiced social distancing nor wore masks!  She was playing with fire and now it has come back to haunt her.  Yesterday, she posted that this is the 5th day of  COVID-19 for her, her husband, twin sons and daughter. 

I hadn't seen my local relatives and in-laws since Dec. 2019.  We normally have huge annual 50+ family gatherings from Thanksgiving (Nov) to New Year's Day as well.  I look at this pandemic as a glorious break from the frenetic pace of expensive grocery shopping, massive cooking, clean up and entertaining.  It's a tremendous relief so I'm savoring this respite to the hilt.  I feel absolutely giddy! 

In the meantime, do the best you can with virtual chats, Zoom or other means of communication or correspondence. 

This time next year, you'll resume your normal activities.  Hang in there.  This pandemic won't last forever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I hope everyone is doing ok. 

I too have struggled so much being away from family. I live alone, and separated in 2019. While I typically find activities to keep me from being melancholic, sometimes you just need to stop and accept it, and just find ways to make it better. I hope this pandemic will be over soon. 

On 12/25/2020 at 8:48 PM, kalikat said:

Both my parents have passed, as have most of my aunts & uncles. I am divorced. Not only is it Christmas, but today is my daughter's 30th birthday. It still amazes me that I went from having huge family gatherings during the holidays (around 50 people), to being completely alone. Except for my doggies - they are a blessing. Daughter lives out of town, plus Covid thing....

It's so weird how this can happen so quickly - going from a large family to being almost alone.  Hopefully, this will be the last year this ever happens.

• Like 1