'

Childhood exposure to media/ effects?

17 minutes ago, smackie9 said:

Did you get to watch James at 15? I remember they had an episode he was going to have sex for the first time. It never showed anything, my friend was so disappointed that they made it so lame lol.

I have never even heard of the show so I guess that’s a no. Lol

18 minutes ago, smackie9 said:

Did you get to watch James at 15? I remember they had an episode he was going to have sex for the first time. It never showed anything, my friend was so disappointed that they made it so lame lol.

I was only allowed a half an hour of TV a day. 

A few years ago I lived in an apartment that was right next to a big grassy field.  Some of the tenants complained about the noise from the children who were outside playing, but I loved it!  They played football nearly every afternoon after school.  I love the sound of kids playing outside having a great time.

I also loved that they were playing outside rather than sitting in their rooms staring at their phones.

A former coworker told me a story about taking her son to a store that sold candy and she wouldn't buy him all the candy he wanted so he took off his jacket and told her "Come at me, bro!"  I asked her where he heard that phrase and she said "You Tube fighting videos."  I have to wonder, why is an 8 year old child allowed to watch You Tube fighting videos??  She told me he has ADHD and she has trouble dealing with him so she lets him watch whatever he wants so he'll stay out of her hair.  Um, OK.

Edited by boltnrun
58 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

A former coworker told me a story about taking her son to a store that sold candy and she wouldn't buy him all the candy he wanted so he took off his jacket and told her "Come at me, bro!"  I asked her where he heard that phrase and she said "You Tube fighting videos."  I have to wonder, why is an 8 year old child allowed to watch You Tube fighting videos??  She told me he has ADHD and she has trouble dealing with him so she lets him watch whatever he wants so he'll stay out of her hair.  Um, OK.

LOL. My mom would have smacked my little ADHD ass to the ground if I did that. That sht didn't fly in my house 😂😂😂

8 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

LOL. My mom would have smacked my little ADHD ass to the ground if I did that. That sht didn't fly in my house 😂😂😂

My husband’s parents either. ADHD or not he would have been erased from the planet. 

• Haha 1
Just now, Seraphim said:

My husband’s parents either. ADHD or not he would have been erased from the planet. 

9 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

She told me she was considering telling him Santa Claus wasn't real as a form of revenge for making her mad.  Like, seriously?

No talk of restricting his access to You Tube fighting videos, however.

6 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

She told me she was considering telling him Santa Claus wasn't real as a form of revenge for making her mad.  Like, seriously?

No talk of restricting his access to You Tube fighting videos, however.

🤦‍♀️

7 hours ago, Batya33 said:

I stared right back at him and my son returned with the napkins! I've had strangers behave inappropriately to him on city buses with me there so I can only imagine what would happen if I weren't.  I hate that "helicopter mom" and also "free range" labels.Most parenting is individual and depends on the kid and defies categorization.  That's how I think it should be.  

Yea... so semi-recently, we had to go out just my older son and I, to get something from a store.  Well, he needed to use the restroom so of course I stopped and waited outside for him before continuing on (it's a huge store and he doesn't have a cell phone, so I needed to wait).

Some random man harassed him while he was in there alone!  Literally cussed him out!!!  He ended up being fine, brushing it off, he's already very resilient, but Holy Cow!  

It was probably a mentally ill man... but look at what our kids have to deal with!

12 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Yea... so semi-recently, we had to go out just my older son and I, to get something from a store.  Well, he needed to use the restroom so of course I stopped and waited outside for him before continuing on (it's a huge store and he doesn't have a cell phone, so I needed to wait).

Some random man harassed him while he was in there alone!  Literally cussed him out!!!  He ended up being fine, brushing it off, he's already very resilient, but Holy Cow!  

It was probably a mentally ill man... but look at what our kids have to deal with!

OK so you hit the nail on the head.  This is my issue with restrooms (pre-covid) - he was 11 so you know I'm too old to go in there with him and sometimes he comes to the ladies room (like at a crowded airport if my husband is not there)  -but I am just so nervous about that - he was never harassed but I have this memory that when he went at a train station he said someone looked at him, etc.  

15 hours ago, boltnrun said:

A few years ago I lived in an apartment that was right next to a big grassy field.  Some of the tenants complained about the noise from the children who were outside playing, but I loved it!  They played football nearly every afternoon after school.  I love the sound of kids playing outside having a great time.

I also loved that they were playing outside rather than sitting in their rooms staring at their phones.

My son knows the difference between what he hears and what is appropriate to say but I don't think he was watching videos like that at 8 years old nor do I think he watches them now - he certainly uses some netspeak with me -meaning IDK for I don't know LOL - but not bad language/fighting language.  On that topic I have a friend whose son is on the spectrum and is very very overweight.  My guess is that it's partly due to her not saying no to as much soda (pop) as he wants -coke is his favorite.  I really really try not to judge (!!!) but when it comes to soda and lots of it - I don't know - that's a real health problem.  I am not against junk food/treats in moderation so I'm conflicted on this AND I hate seeing her son this way. (My son doesn't get to have any soda other than very occasionally on a camp field trip or an occasional old fashioned root beer float.