Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

UK citizen looking for good place to buy in the USA!

ninjabib

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, going to have to take this into account! We get snakes in the UK but none are deadly.

I'm guessing Texas is going to be the same? without the alligators/crocs

I didn't say they were deadly! The rattlers are but they stay outside. Again, I never once saw one inside my house (or even in my yard) and none of my friends did either.

Texas has hurricanes near the coast. I don't think it's a concern in Austin or Dallas.

Ok thanks. I'm not scared of snakes or scorpions but if they are deadly ones then i'd have some cause for concern hahah.

Austin has been recommended to me, i was going to try a neighbourhood somewhere close by for a month. I am also not keen on hurricanes!

Ahh ok i must have misread it i thoguth someone said that if you dont pay then can take it away! Thats reassuring to know. Good on that old lady! It's her home after all!

Yes, that's correct - if you don't pay your HOA fees, they can and will foreclose on your house.

What the other poster was talking about is someone breaking/disputing some HOA rule. So different - you can dispute and you certainly can end up in court over it or paying fines or whatever. Who wins really depends on each individual situation. Even if you win, it's money down the drain hiring lawyers and so on. Just goes back to the less intrusive and more minimal the rules are, the better and the fewer potential headaches to deal with.

As for assorted creepy crawly critters - I mean they are everywhere. Wherever you choose to live, you simply learn how to deal with them. It's not something that would be high on my list of concerns and certainly not something you'll be confronted with daily. I'd focus more on living a little bit in each potential area and learning more about what it's actually like there and whether the location offers what you want in terms of culture, convenience, things you like to do, getting around, cost of living in that area, etc. Basically, things that will affect your satisfaction and your wallet.

Yes we have plenty of creepy crawlers here but none are deadly so i was worried it was rife with deadly insects haha.

Definitely not on my list of big concerns. I guess all will be clearer once i start staying in places.

Found out that there is an investor visa which allows me to remain indefinitely although not as a citizen if i invest 100k+ and create a job for a US citizen so might see what business are available and rent a home for the first year and see how my business goes!

Yes, that's correct - if you don't pay your HOA fees, they can and will foreclose on your house.

What the other poster was talking about is someone breaking/disputing some HOA rule. So different - you can dispute and you certainly can end up in court over it or paying fines or whatever.

Actually, I had never heard of that before, and HOA foreclosing on a house. But I googled it, and it is possible in some states (including mine).

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/hoa-liens-foreclosures-an-overview.html

• 2 weeks later...

For the weather and price you are lookin for I’d look around South Al, Ga, Ms, or North Fl. We have a few cold days come winter, maybe 4-5 days highs in the mid 30’s, most of the time in the winter you are looking at mid 50’s up to mid 70’s. Me personally I wouldn’t do the big towns, strange folks live there. Yea we get some hurricanes, I live about 80 miles from the coast, worst I’ve seen was several years ago one came in as a Cat 4, we lost power for a couple days then everything went back to normal. If however you do move to the South, there are some things you’ll have to get used to.

1) We talk to everybody at the store

2) sweet tea is served for all meals and snacks

3) Y’all is both singular and plural

4) life moves a little slower down here

5) our accents, you can tell what state or even what part of the state they are from by their accent.

6) past times, in order- huntin, fishin, football (not soccer), goin to church, goin to The Walmart,

7) our words, example Fixinto- that don’t mean we are going to fix something, that means we are about to. Example- I’m

Fixin to go to the Store

8) Drinks- the cold, carbonated deliciousness we all love, is called a Coke, don’t matter what kind it actually is, example- you go to the store, somebody asks you if you want a Coke, you say yes then they ask what kind.

9) Gas station food is unbelievable!!! Nothin better than a bacon egg and cheese biscuit from the store for breakfast, Hunt Brothers pizza for dinner or supper or some fried chicken.

10) Our meals, y’all may call them Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Down here they are called Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.

11) the “G” in ING is silent. It’s pronounced, riddin, drivin, singgin, etc.

12) If you get stuck in the mud/snow (on the 2 days a year it might actually snow) don’t worry, somebody will be along here directly with a tow strap in their truck and they’ll pull you out.

For the weather and price you are lookin for I’d look around South Al, Ga, Ms, or North Fl. We have a few cold days come winter, maybe 4-5 days highs in the mid 30’s, most of the time in the winter you are looking at mid 50’s up to mid 70’s. Me personally I wouldn’t do the big towns, strange folks live there. Yea we get some hurricanes, I live about 80 miles from the coast, worst I’ve seen was several years ago one came in as a Cat 4, we lost power for a couple days then everything went back to normal. If however you do move to the South, there are some things you’ll have to get used to.

5) our accents, you can tell what state or even what part of the state they are from by their accent.

6) past times, in order- huntin, fishin, football (not soccer), goin to church, goin to The Walmart,

7) our words, example Fixinto- that don’t mean we are going to fix something, that means we are about to. Example- I’m

Fixin to go to the Store

8) Drinks- the cold, carbonated deliciousness we all love, is called a Coke, don’t matter what kind it actually is, example- you go to the store, somebody asks you if you want a Coke, you say yes then they ask what kind.

9) Gas station food is unbelievable!!! Nothin better than a bacon egg and cheese biscuit from the store for breakfast, Hunt Brothers pizza for dinner or supper or some fried chicken.

10) Our meals, y’all may call them Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Down here they are called Breakfast, Dinner and Supper.

12) If you get stuck in the mud/snow (on the 2 days a year it might actually snow) don’t worry, somebody will be along here directly with a tow strap in their truck and they’ll pull you out.

Hahah thanks for all that, some good info there. May i ask what county you live in or is that too revealing?

North Fl, I would recommend pretty much anywhere north of the beach towns is nice, close enough to go to the beach on a whim and far enough you aren’t right in the tourist trap area. If you want to live on the coast, I’d look around Apalachicola, East Point, Carrabelle, Pannacea,

Fixin to go to the Store

LOL this is so true.... Made my morning reading this.

Hello all!

Hope you are all keeping well and safe during these crazy covid19 times.

I am looking for recommendations for somewhere i can buy thats not insanely priced in the USA.

I am basically buying the property to spend 6 months of the year in the US and 6 months in the UK as thats what my passport allows.

I am looking to buy/move October 2021. My budget is $350k as i have to buy cash as not a US citizen.

I am looking for something that has 3 bedrooms at least and is in a decent neighbourhood.

I am going to live in the USA home from October 1st till March 31st so needs to be a state where it's warm that time of year, does not need to be roasting hot just warm, i want to avoid the UK winter! I guess that keeps me to the coastal states?

I've been to California and Florida a lot, i really like both but Cali seems very expensive.

Anyone have any recommedations for these areas or anywhere else please?

I love Hawaii but that seemed too expensive too.

Thanks in advance.

There are nice communities in Florida, but it seems everyone is moving there (and Texas) right now (best to decide fairly quickly I would think since people are literally fleeing the Northern states recently).

If you buy land, you usually don't have to deal with a HOA. I grew up with my parents owning 3 chunks of land in different areas of rural Texas, none of them had HOA restrictions. It's more of suburb-city thing to have HOA's.

And the HOA people are crazy LOL :p... they just drive around trying to find something wrong. Gives them a real power trip. But you avoid all that if you buy land with a house on it in a more rural area (doesn't even have to be really far out).

This advice still stands.

"Absolutely best advice Lambert.

"The best advice I could give is to find a real estate agent that specializes in this.

Someone that knows the legalities and process for buying property in the foreign country, as well as, the stipulations that apply to you as a foreign buyer."

OP, get professional advice on the matter to avoid any pitfalls.

You could also check with the U.S. Consulate in London as to requirements."

Most of the "snow birds" here in Western Canada migrate to Arizona during the winter months... cheap, warm and dry in the winter (although it gets really hot in the summer) and tons to do for retired folks... in Eastern Canada they migrate to Florida and Texas.