How Do You Balance Life with Kids?

maritalbliss86

I did have the kids sign a nice card a couple of days ago that my husband mailed. But it's one of those Grandma Mother's day cards, so at least she's been acknowledged.  Maybe I'm too nice but it feels bad just totally ignoring them 🤷‍♀️

But the kids are not the ones who thought of her.  When they went there with their dad days ago, they were excited to pick me out a card and immediately found one for my mom that they were excited to give her.  They completely forgot about his mom (!!!).  I had to ask him to pick one up for her, at least from the kids.  

Maybe I should have backed off and let him forget/choose to do nothing at all? 

The kids don't think of her because she never calls wanting to talk to them, ask about them, etc. because she was too intent on, "punishing us," with their silent treatment to think about how this affects our children.

At least she got a card, but it's better if I don't see her texts so that it doesn't bother me emotionally.

This morning my husband built me two arched wire trellises for the squash vines, pumpkins and melons to grow on.  The spaghetti squash is already 7-8 ft long I think?  It looks beautiful draping over the arched trellis!

Vertical gardening has a magical effect!

Butternut-Squash-Trellis.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jibralta said:

What a great idea! And it looks beautiful!

Thanks, this is just a great example, ours only has 4 spaghetti squash and isn't this widespread yet... fingers crossed it works out and ends up looking like this 🤞😍

• Like 1

I never finished what happened with my in-laws being in that winter storm and endangering my MIL. Poor lady... I really do feel sorry for her.  I have to remind myself of the nastier things she's done, because she really does martyr herself.  It is really hard not to see her as some kind of victim.  It's easier to understand when I think about the things she gets out of this role by allowing it.

One thing I didn't bother writing in here was that something major happened where it could have been my husband (being harmed).  Usually he texts his family (parents and siblings) that it wasn't him, that way they don't worry.  They have worried in the past, so he tries to be courteous and let them know asap.  Well, he didn't bother texting this time - this was weeks ago - and his parents never bothered contacting him.  When she sent that mother's day text, I immediately thought of this... how she hadn't bothered to check on her son when it was very well known something regarding his job had happened.  It just seemed so unnatural or UN-motherly... *There is a slight possibility she didn't know, but it was national news so that is pretty unlikely. 

I think someone in the family found out about my MIL's dangerous winter storm situation because SIL found a job real quick back in their old city (where both sides of relatives live... like a massive community of people interconnected).  SIL was supposed to be, "looking," for a job for the past 4 years.  I feel naïve that I actually believed her when she said she couldn't find anything, but apparently she probably could have, she may have just wanted to stay down there.  We don't know.

To me it is very interesting that she was suddenly able to find one and get out of there within a month, so that her own mom could move back into their very nice home, instead of being stuck in a trailer 7 days a week, watching her toddler every single day, 8 hours a day, without a break.  To me it sounds like the controlling aunt got wind of what happened, scolded her, and made her fall in line. 😆  That happens a lot in this family, she's the one who sends a barrage of hostile texts (my husband for 5 hours one time years ago), or hostile emails, getting the younger generation to fall in line with whatever the parent generation has decided is best for them.  For us, after 5 hours of those texts (years ago), we told her to F*ck Off :D but his parents/family decided we had been attacking her.  Personally, I was so glad.  It felt so good to stand up to the crazy aunt.  My MIL used to brag about how she'd use this particular aunt to get her other son (my BIL) to do whatever she wanted.  I think we're the first ones who ever stood up to her.

On my in-laws calling for our son's birthday... I know I wrote here that they made it extremely awkward and unpleasant, barely talking at all, they didn't even ask the kids how they were doing or anything.  It's like they only called for the act of it, but not to actually engage in a relationship with us or the kids.  Psychologically, they gave our kids the silent treatment (so wrong!).  I mean yes, they called for our son's birthday, but were Silent and Awkward on the phone, even with our older kids who would have wanted to connect with them.  I still feel anger sometimes at how they're not normal, loving grandparents, but at least our kids have my family.

I know we're going to be harshly judged again for entering another (peaceful) estrangement, but honestly, it really is for the best at this point. 🤷‍♀️  

I know they'll never get this, but this is part of why we're happier when they're out of our lives. 

Looking forward to moving on!  I know from past experiences, as soon as his parents get angry enough, they'll use someone in the family to contact us with a barrage of texts to get us to be guilt-tripped into getting back in contact with them using a whiny excuse: ("so they can have relationships with their grandchildren!").  The aunt is scared of me so they can't use her lol, last time they used his brother, this time I'm betting they'll use his sister (she's indebted to them with how she's used her mother so much in the last year). 

I may tell my husband he can say that we thought they stopped talking to us, but I know they won't see that as an excuse.  It will still be our responsibility to reach out to them and draw them back into our lives (yeah right!).

We will be harshly judged, but I'm ok with that. 😎

It sounds like the typical crabs in a bucket mentality. There are a chunk of my moms side of the family who are very much like that. They are always trying to bring people down, even those supposedly most important to them and close to them (and even kids). The martyring themselves is part of that, so they can feel in control and there will always be someone they can feel they are "better than" and so someone else is "the loser of the family". It's so toxic, and there is so much abuse in their ranks. 

They won't ever stop clawing, not unless they had a dramatic shift in how they approach life. They still try with me, and my cousins that broke away from them too, even though we don't keep in contact. Like you said, they try and send the other crabs in turns. It's predictable though, once you understand it. 

My one aunt had started sharing and commenting on my business pages. My SO was like "how nice, but isn't that one of the aunts you have nothing to do with?". It is. And even though it could look like just a nice, supportive thing to do, I know it's not that. They are nice and involved when it serves some purpose for them. If you aren't familiar with crabs, it might look cynical to see it this way. But I know it's just her attempt to wrangle me back into the pack. I just go on and ignore it. I wonder how long until someone is trying to hit me up for something and "well I shared your page, I'm the reason you have business!". Lol. Seriously, it's only a matter of time. 

9 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

They are always trying to bring people down, even those supposedly most important to them and close to them (and even kids)

Yes, I know what you're talking about. The part about even bringing kids down... yes, we experienced that last year when out with my MIL.  She said something really nasty and passive aggressive to our son, right in front of us, and embarrassed him needlessly.  I had to correct her statement to him (I was sitting beside him).  He remembered her doing that a year later, when the same event passed.  But she has no clue how that came across, and trying to tell her is, "attacking her."  But yes, I'm surprised it extends to children... my guess is it happened to her (and her sisters) as children themselves, and this is why they're like this.

I didn't connect it to the crabs in a bucket mentality.   hmm... 

His aunts are just rude/mean with their words, one more so than the other, and yes they are usually like that toward family, even to his mom (their sister).  They never seem to want her to lose weight and do things that sabotage her weight loss, which I've always thought was weird.  But I can see that maybe it's a crab in a bucket thing... if she loses the weight, she won't be obese anymore and they'll feel bad about themselves if she improves.

9 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

And even though it could look like just a nice, supportive thing to do, I know it's not that. They are nice and involved when it serves some purpose for them. If you aren't familiar with crabs, it might look cynical to see it this way. But I know it's just her attempt to wrangle me back into the pack. I just go on and ignore it.

Right... I wish I didn't feel so much guilt about ignoring them.  Part of me feels like there must be a better way to include them.  We made another counseling appointment for next week, so I'll be curious as to what he'll say if there's anything else we can do.  

My husband somehow doesn't feel guilty in not inviting them to our daughter's recital... but part of me feels very bad for them.  I asked him again if he really wants that, and he pointed out how his dad will make it so uncomfortable, that he'd have to sit next to them probably and that they'd use any odd opportunity to say something nasty.  He'd rather be able to relax and enjoy our daughter's recital.  Just sad that there's not some middle ground where they can be nice.

Who knew a discussion on beauty and the beauty industry could be so complex... granted maybe it is complex.

I never said it was a cure though but definitely provokes the so called make over beautiful side of a woman to forsake and frown upon the  Beautiful TRUE version of themselves. The world we live in 

It seems like this poster believes a woman can only be truly beautiful, her real self, if she forsakes all beauty products, or doing anything perceived as, "unnatural."  I'm guessing....  He mentions hair (color or extensions), makeup, not sure if he means nice clothing etc.

I think beauty itself is a separate topic from the beauty industry

When I think of beauty, I think of art.  I think of gardens as well as natural landscapes.  A garden that is designed isn't much different from a woman wearing tasteful, beautiful makeup.  They're not, "natural," but they don't have to come from insecurity.  

Most, if not all, women want to be beautiful.  They may deny it, or bury this desire deep down inside them, but that desire to bring beauty to the world, it's not something our culture has, "programmed," into women... it's innate and I believe God-given.  You can really see it with little girls who want to be seen for who they are.  When they wear something that looks nicer than typical daily wear, you can see their eyes light up and they want to be admired by their dad (or mom... but especially their dad).  Little girls want to be beautiful.  They want to grow up to be beautiful... and it's a very very painful thing for them psychologically, if they feel they can't or won't achieve that.  And this isn't because our society tells them they need to be, because in nearly every society dating back for 1,000's of years, girls and women have this desire to be beautiful.  Even biblically there are so many people, men and women, that were pointed out as having been handsome or beautiful....  I was always taught beauty was a gift... a God-given gift.

David in the Bible was said to be very handsome, and it was a gift he had.  Beauty does give one power... because people notice it, are drawn to it, and like looking at beautiful people, places, or things.  

I remember reading the book of Esther and thinking how funny it was that she had to spend a year on beauty treatments for her whole body.  This was thousands of years ago LOL... apparently the, "beauty industry," has been an ancient thing.  But why?  Think about that for a minute?  Why do women love to feel beautiful, and why do men love to see them that way?

Obviously if you're Christian, it makes more sense when you think about God creating Eve to be His finishing touch on His ideal creation or world.  Eve was like his masterpiece.  And all throughout time, the female body (naked or clothed) has been considered art itself!

A woman's desire to be beautiful has to be balanced with being secure in herself.  But I don't see any harm in using things that enhance her beauty.

You can feel secure, yet also use products sometimes when going out.  To say using them isn't, "natural," or the, "real you," is comparable to saying you shouldn't brush your teeth because bad breath is natural and that's the real you.  Of course you can smooth your hair so it's not so frizzy... or wear mascara so your eyelashes don't disappear if they're blonde.

Feeling confident without makeup is possible.  Most days I don't wear any and feel very comfortable and happy with myself.  BUT I also love to wear some when going out, especially if it's on a date.  

I've come to a place where I feel very comfortable in my own skin.  I didn't use to feel that way, but it's a very nice feeling.

Bobbi Brown was an incredible make-up artist and make-up designer/brand creator.  She eventually rose to the top of what you'd consider the beauty world for make-up lovers, and has been around I think for over 25 years.  She revolutionized beauty in the 80's... taking it from loud and very unnatural-looking, which didn't look, "right," on people's faces according to her, and getting chemists to design lipsticks and blushes that looked very natural.  Estee Lauder bought her brand and it became high end makeup to look like a natural beauty, as best as you could.

Anyway, it's curious she walked away from it all not long ago... makeup just isn't as important to her as it used to be, and I think this is a natural evolution.  She still seems to wear it of course, but she no longer thinks it's of upmost importance.  Now she looks at beauty from a whole body standpoint... but not focused on the outside, rather on the inside.

I really believe what you are or feel like on the inside shows through at some point anyway.  Like that old phrase, "You get the face you're given at 20, but the face you deserve at 50."  If you're a nasty piece of work, it will probably show in how you age - because beauty is from the INSIDE out. 

I think when women are teenagers, or were since this new generation seems more confident in general, most of us were insecure as teens... and that showed in how we'd try all the products or do anything to get rid of a pimple.  I remember feeling like a pimple was the end of the world (LOL!!!) and I also remember the mental shift years ago when I realized it didn't bother me anymore!  It was very strange and such a relief!  

And then as I've figured out how my skin looks really good even without anything, I've felt confident and comfortable enough to stop wearing makeup.  I just forget to... because it's not the end of the world if I don't anymore, I still feel confident going out without it.  🤷‍♀️

But I think these changes happen slowly overtime for women.  We're probably our most insecure as teens and then get more confident as time wears on.  Feelings of insecurity can crop up about anything though... weight gain... hair loss I'm guessing... teeth problems, obviously there are other things that come with age that may cause more insecurity, but dealing with them and fixing things so you can feel confident, to me that doesn't mean a person is weak or insecure, it just means they want to be the best version of themselves. 🤷‍♀️

Our daughter did SO well at her dance recital last night!!!!  She wasn't scared at all, even waved quickly to the crowd when getting up there, and then waved again at the finale!

She's a natural performer ❤️  And she did SO good at her dances, even though she's only 3 and it's really hard for her compared to some of the older girls in her class.  She's with a few 5 and 6 year olds and they are better at their technique, but my gosh how our little one TRIES LOL!  She literally tried her heart out last night!

I told her just to have fun, and she definitely did. ❤️

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Our daughter did SO well at her dance recital last night!!!!  She wasn't scared at all, even waved quickly to the crowd when getting up there, and then waved again at the finale!

She's a natural performer ❤️  And she did SO good at her dances, even though she's only 3 and it's really hard for her compared to some of the older girls in her class.  She's with a few 5 and 6 year olds and they are better at their technique, but my gosh how our little one TRIES LOL!  She literally tried her heart out last night!

I told her just to have fun, and she definitely did. ❤️

Good for her! ❤️

• Thanks 1

Basically the rule of thumb should be...

If you're a difficult person (through addiction choices that aren't resolved, mental illness or saying mean/rude insults) don't be surprised if you're left out sometimes 🤷‍♀️.  It's not always about you. 

And it's not other people's job to make you feel included if you're difficult (through any of those means).  Other people have the right to protect themselves (or their event, or their child's event, etc.) from someone who is difficult, who may ruin it in some way.

I'm so glad I've gotten to the place where I don't mind if my husband decides to include my in-laws if he wants.  They can act nice, it just isn't consistent or dependable.  They're like loose-cannons with their harsh words, and never ever sorry.

Last year (2019 so I guess a little over last year), they were pretty bad at Christmas with his father throwing what I'd call, "an adult tantrum," over us wanting to wait to accept their mountain of gifts till after we'd moved in.  

But this year (2020) I really didn't give a sh*t.  LOL  It was my husband who is starting to get affected negatively with his dad's passive aggressiveness and his mother's complacency of it.  

I put in here at that time that his dad had been so passive aggressive that it caused my husband to feel intense anger and react back in an unhealthy way toward his dad.  My husband's not usually passive aggressive (Thank God!), but his dad makes him so angry, he wanted to, "punish," him in that unhealthy kind of way.

So now I really just let him decide things, and thankfully we have no more births for them to ruin (they ruined 2 out of 4 because we felt SOOOO guilty not including them 🙄). 

I was surprised when he really didn't want them there at the recital for our daughter.  And a major part of me thought it wasn't fair to her because she deserves to have her grandparents there (in my mind).  

But his dad really probably would have said something nasty, made it all about his anger.  The day wouldn't have been allowed to be about our sweet girl.  So it was probably better he made that decision.

And he felt no guilt 🤷‍♀️ 

Difficult people do this to themselves... then they play the victim when they find out they were left out.  Most don't see or admit they're a problem and do the work to correct their character defects, they just expect family members to put up with them, abusive flaws and all.  I'm thankful my brother isn't like that... he understands and has never held it against us when we had to exclude him in a moment (and he always got to bond with our kids when he was healthy).  

Had a crazy day today.  We had scheduled a visit with our counselor and it went well.  My husband hasn't really gone much before, I was the one who started going back in 2015 to deal with grief from my dad's health issues.  But it was great to go together and listen to him give all the background etc.  He assured us not to feel guilty, and even used the word, "burden," at the end to describe what they are to us.

My mentor also described them that way last year... as a, "burden," to us.  Made me wonder exactly what does that imply in all its definition (always so nerdy).

Apparently looking it up in all its usages I think he and she mean something oppressive and worrisome; a heavy and oppressive load weighing one down.  He pointed out how we just don't have time for that, with 4 kids needing us to be all there for them and healthy and all.

We used the rest of the time for a date, which was so nice.  There was a woman distraught at a place we ended up walking though, and she had a toddler that was just wailing and screaming, sitting on a bench waiting for his mom to react to him.  She was on the phone and ignoring him completely and looked really odd or out of it.  

I walked over and picked him up and held him close, he immediately stopped crying and melted into my arms.  The poor thing!  His mom started crying and thanked me, and started telling me all these thigns that were going wrong for her at the moment.  It was so sad.  I really don't think she was mentally in a good place enough to really care for her child (husband said she seemed possibly mentally ill but could have just had a really bad moment).

So we talked a bit and I offered to help her get him to her car, my husband was ok with it... I offered her tips along the way, like bringing a lightweight stroller next time makes things so much easier.  She claimed her, "baby daddy," took everything (?) I don't know.  Poor lady.  She kept thanking me over and over again for being kind to her and her child, kept exclaiming, "You probably think I'm crazy... "  But I do understand... motherhood, life... it can be overwhelming, especially if things are going wrong. And then when someone is kind to you, you kind of break down, I've actually been there.

Anyway, the store she was waiting on ended up helping her finally, and I had to hand her baby back to her.  He was just so so sweet UGH!  

I'm like a little old lady who randomly helps other moms with screaming kids.  Calming them with that Old Lady type of energy apparently lol.  But he was just so sweet and needed comforting.  She seemed really touched, called me an angel or beautiful or something at the end.  

No... Just turning into an old lady 😬

• Like 2

It just felt like the right thing to do. ❤️ I did ask her if she needed help while picking him up, so at least I didn't just grab him w/o explanation.  She was very grateful for the help. 

Afterward I thought how it could have scared her - someone else picking up her baby, we have a lot of child abductions in our state, but maybe that could kind of be a wake up call to pay more attention.  She was right there with him, but on the phone, stressed out, and mentally disengaged from him to the point where anyone could have grabbed him.

So excited summer is starting!  I've declared it, "The Summer of Reading," and have up on a board in our, "classroom/kitchen," the goal of reading 100 books for the kids.  We spent most the morning reading out loud, my oldest and myself taking turns and our Viking child listening in while the baby and our daughter entertained each other mostly the whole time.  

It went well ❤️ this morning was mostly reading from King Arthur, we're at the spot where it's telling the story of the Knight of the Kitchen 😆 I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed reading this book with our boys.  I never read it in school, but my brother loved it.

He's almost done reading The Hiding Place with my husband (I've listened in a lot... I read this one in school, but my husband's never read about the Nazis from this perspective. He's been loving it.

After we read some King Arthur they wanted to read from a book about marine biology... and then our Viking boy wanted to read from the Norse Mythology book we have (a beautifully illustrated one found here: https://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Norse-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/159017125X  ).  The myths are crazy lol, but he's been enjoying it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed reading this book with our boys.  I never read it in school, but my brother loved it.

What book is it?

13 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

our Viking boy wanted to read from the Norse Mythology book we have (a beautifully illustrated one found here: https://www.amazon.com/DAulaires-Norse-Myths-Ingri-dAulaire/dp/159017125X  ).  The myths are crazy lol, but he's been enjoying it. 

I had D'Aulaires' Greek Mythology book as a kid... And I'm pretty sure it's still hanging around somewhere. It was a good book, but I avoided it for a long time because the illustrations were not to my taste lol.

I love legends, mythology, an fairy tales. Always have, for some reason. Haven't read the Norse mythology, though. Not sure why....

On 5/29/2021 at 4:59 AM, Jibralta said:

What book is it?

It's the Puffin Classics book: King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table, by Roger Lancelyn Green.  The published date is 1953, but it was reissued in 2015 (we have the reissued edition). 🙂 

https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Knights-Round-Puffin-Classics/dp/0141321016/ref=sr_1_1?crid=VVXJLBR75LNE&dchild=1&keywords=king+arthur+and+his+knights+of+the+round+table+puffin+classics&qid=1622380641&sprefix=king+arthur+and+his+knights+of+the+round+table+puffin%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

The past week has been so busy with lots of parties with other families, birthdays, end of year celebrations, etc.  I've loved getting to see so many old friends again and celebrate together with them.  Everything seems to happen in May ❤️  

I'm so excited for summer... everything feels more beautiful when it's hot somehow lol.  Our garden is exploding in blooms of different colors.  The soft blue of the plumbago plants nestled underneath a white iron arch with artistic hearts decorating it (my husband bought it for me when he found out I fell in love with it... I think it's a wedding arch, very romantic.  The diamond he picked out for me is a heart... so hearts are particularly special to us).  The soft blue flowers look really great together next to the dark, glittering iridescent blue of the majestic sage plants.  And the hummingbirds seem to be addicted to the sweet nectar of the majestic sage!  They prefer it more than our feeder!  And then of course the trenches I dug and filled with shrubs and flowers to encircle the trampoline in the back corner... it's looking nice, very happy with the result of all my projects in the yeard!  And 5 spaghetti squash are growing, with 1 about to be ready to eat. 

We ate some of the yellow summer squash in a bean salad I made that came out really great!  Black beans, onions, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, Anaheim peppers, 1 tomato (that's all that was ready from the ones picked) squash and fresh corn off the cob.  Most of the contents being from our own garden!  The kids were proud of it since they've helped grow all of it together.

Yesterday when I was trying to pick tomatoes, I saw a huge snake wrapped up and laying across two giant tomato plants (!!!).  Terrifying for a moment that I almost touched him, even though I grew up in the country, I hate touching wild snakes.  He ended up being caught in the bird netting... it was completely around his neck and my husband tried to get him out, but it was just too tangled and was strangling the life slowly out of him ugh!  He put an end to it and we're left wondering what to do with a giant snake skin 4 feet long.  Hm....

I bought an 18 month planner that was designed pretty well - this is so needed when juggling 4 kids and 3 of them being homeschooled next year, joining co-ops and teaching classes for them... I knew I needed to get something that I'll be able to plan better on.  It also had to have spaces for weekends to write in plans.  The planner I used this past school year was great, except for that one thing - no weekend space to write out plans, which ended up being difficult!

But looking through the 18 months, it's overwhelming seeing how the kids, most of them at least, will pass 2 birthdays by the end 😮 and just seeing that far into the future, knowing how anything could happen and how things may feel or be so different in that timeframe, is a little intimidating.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:59 AM, Jibralta said:

What book is it?

I had D'Aulaires' Greek Mythology book as a kid... And I'm pretty sure it's still hanging around somewhere. It was a good book, but I avoided it for a long time because the illustrations were not to my taste lol.

I love legends, mythology, an fairy tales. Always have, for some reason. Haven't read the Norse mythology, though. Not sure why....

D’Aulaires’ book is still considered the gold standard of mythology for that age group. I still have it here somewhere too.

MB, so glad you are doing so much family reading!!!

I’ve been working on report cards and telling families over and over to read aloud every day this summer!!

8 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

The past week has been so busy with lots of parties with other families, birthdays, end of year celebrations, etc.  I've loved getting to see so many old friends again and celebrate together with them.  Everything seems to happen in May ❤️  

I'm so excited for summer... everything feels more beautiful when it's hot somehow lol.  Our garden is exploding in blooms of different colors.  The soft blue of the plumbago plants nestled underneath a white iron arch with artistic hearts decorating it (my husband bought it for me when he found out I fell in love with it... I think it's a wedding arch, very romantic.  The diamond he picked out for me is a heart... so hearts are particularly special to us).  The soft blue flowers look really great together next to the dark, glittering iridescent blue of the majestic sage plants.  And the hummingbirds seem to be addicted to the sweet nectar of the majestic sage!  They prefer it more than our feeder!  And then of course the trenches I dug and filled with shrubs and flowers to encircle the trampoline in the back corner... it's looking nice, very happy with the result of all my projects in the yeard!  And 5 spaghetti squash are growing, with 1 about to be ready to eat. 

We ate some of the yellow summer squash in a bean salad I made that came out really great!  Black beans, onions, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, Anaheim peppers, 1 tomato (that's all that was ready from the ones picked) squash and fresh corn off the cob.  Most of the contents being from our own garden!  The kids were proud of it since they've helped grow all of it together.

Yesterday when I was trying to pick tomatoes, I saw a huge snake wrapped up and laying across two giant tomato plants (!!!).  Terrifying for a moment that I almost touched him, even though I grew up in the country, I hate touching wild snakes.  He ended up being caught in the bird netting... it was completely around his neck and my husband tried to get him out, but it was just too tangled and was strangling the life slowly out of him ugh!  He put an end to it and we're left wondering what to do with a giant snake skin 4 feet long.  Hm....

I bought an 18 month planner that was designed pretty well - this is so needed when juggling 4 kids and 3 of them being homeschooled next year, joining co-ops and teaching classes for them... I knew I needed to get something that I'll be able to plan better on.  It also had to have spaces for weekends to write in plans.  The planner I used this past school year was great, except for that one thing - no weekend space to write out plans, which ended up being difficult!

But looking through the 18 months, it's overwhelming seeing how the kids, most of them at least, will pass 2 birthdays by the end 😮 and just seeing that far into the future, knowing how anything could happen and how things may feel or be so different in that timeframe, is a little intimidating.  

Oh my goodness!!! A 4 foot long snake!!

15 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

He ended up being caught in the bird netting... it was completely around his neck and my husband tried to get him out, but it was just too tangled and was strangling the life slowly out of him ugh!

Aw, poor thing. 😢

Your garden sounds awesome!

7 hours ago, luminousone said:

D’Aulaires’ book is still considered the gold standard of mythology for that age group. I still have it here somewhere too.

Interesting. I should probably pick up the Norse Mythology one. The Greek Mythology one turned out to be pretty good. 

51 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Aw, poor thing. 😢

Your garden sounds awesome!

I was surprised how much pity I felt for it once we saw it was being strangled and didn't seem to have regular energy 😞 ugh! 

But thank you, gardening just makes me happy 🙂