Open Club  ·  25 members  ·  Free

Journals

Tom's Journal - Becoming the man I've always wanted to be

Yeah, I think Peter Jackson really jumped the shark with those Hobbit films, unfortunately.

I grew up with the old Rankin/Bass Hobbit cartoon, and I loved it--I think it was way better, although it probably didn't age well.

Rankin/Bass also did a version of Return of the King, which probably aged even worse, but which I actually prefer to Peter Jackson's version. Don't get me wrong, Peter Jackson's version is much, much higher quality. And there's quite a bit of unintentional silliness in the cartoon--for example, if I remember correctly, the witch king sounds a bit like Orco from the old He-Man cartoons... But overall, I prefer the way that old cartoon captured the story.

The books were.... ok. I know I'm supposed to revere them, and I do respect them and all of their Industrial Revolution symbolism. I will probably read them all again for just that reason. But Tolkien's writing style is a bit uneven, and it took some effort to get through. I expect the next time will go easier.

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I appreciate I've been quiet over the last few weeks. We've been ok, I just haven't had the desire to really post anything. Almost two weeks ago we had a horrendous hike. Bad weather, misjudging

I hope everyone has had a nice Christmas so far. Lass hasn't been too well. The day after our hike she began vomiting, followed by diarrhoea. I called at the vets on Christmas Eve who recommended

Another from yesterday. Looking towards the Scafell range. I'll do a full write up later.

Posted Images

Gosh, who'd have ever thought. This is a surprise.

"Coming in at #40 on the American Library Association's banned book list, surprisingly to many, is J.R.R Tolkien\'s epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings. The classic trilogy, along with The Hobbit, has been banned in many schools and public libraries across the nation."

Read the book more years ago than I care to remember.

DB. Enjoy your planned hike on Saturday. Hope you put up some more photos.

"Coming in at #40 on the American Library Association's banned book list, surprisingly to many, is J.R.R Tolkien\'s epic masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings. The classic trilogy, along with The Hobbit, has been banned in many schools and public libraries across the nation."

Wow, surprising. Seems so innocuous.

Yeah, I think Peter Jackson really jumped the shark with those Hobbit films, unfortunately.

I grew up with the old Rankin/Bass Hobbit cartoon, and I loved it--I think it was way better, although it probably didn't age well.

Rankin/Bass also did a version of Return of the King, which probably aged even worse, but which I actually prefer to Peter Jackson's version. Don't get me wrong, Peter Jackson's version is much, much higher quality. And there's quite a bit of unintentional silliness in the cartoon--for example, if I remember correctly, the witch king sounds a bit like Orco from the old He-Man cartoons... But overall, I prefer the way that old cartoon captured the story.

The books were.... ok. I know I'm supposed to revere them, and I do respect them and all of their Industrial Revolution symbolism. I will probably read them all again for just that reason. But Tolkien's writing style is a bit uneven, and it took some effort to get through. I expect the next time will go easier.

That's the cartoon our boys love!!!! Our oldest is reading through the Hobbit this year and absolutely loving it. He's disappointed in the newer movies (Peter Jackson) since they veer off of the stories so much, but he still enjoys them.

Gosh, who'd have ever thought. This is a surprise.

Read the book more years ago than I care to remember.

DB. Enjoy your planned hike on Saturday. Hope you put up some more photos.

That's so sad. So many kids love those books.

Well that is fascinating.......wonder why it is banned?

I haven't seen the Hobbit film but I read the book. Is it that bad? I must check it out.

Not such much Hobbit film, but 'Hobbit films'. Clearly some studio execs thought they could milk it for all it is worth, and decided to make the small Hobbit novel into three movies! There is some scenes with Sauron which I think are awesome, and clearly use reference to the appendix in Lord of the Rings, 'Return of the King'.....but so much from I can gather is not in the book. New character introduced for a love story that wasn't in the novel.

The big thing for me, is the Lord of the Rings trilogy used the landscapes of New Zealand (with CGI) along with miniature work to make a believable world. The Hobbit movies rely very heavily on CGI and it shows. Some of the action scenes in the last film felt ludicrous!

Tonight I have had a really good therapy session. Focusing on how my attachment/dependency relates back to childhood and my mother. The good thing though is I can see it now and be aware of it. The positivity that I am really discovering the real me and what makes me tick is giving me a real buzz. I'm genuinely amazed at how far I've come in a relatively short space of time, but remain steadfast not to become complacent and slip back into older habits with unhealthy ways of thinking.

I don't remember a love story in The Hobbit either. That would be odd. I don't mind bad films.

That's good that you're self-aware. The thing about positivity is that it doesn't quite happen overnight. It seems to be an accumulation of things and small stitches making up a larger work. Your therapist sounds great.

Tonight I have had a really good therapy session. Focusing on how my attachment/dependency relates back to childhood and my mother. The good thing though is I can see it now and be aware of it. The positivity that I am really discovering the real me and what makes me tick is giving me a real buzz. I'm genuinely amazed at how far I've come in a relatively short space of time, but remain steadfast not to become complacent and slip back into older habits with unhealthy ways of thinking.

I think it's great you're going to therapy and taking care of yourself this way. These issues you're sorting out will be finally done with (Huge deal!!!) and you're going to go into your next relationship(s) with such a better mind space.

Very happy for you! Keep going!

Cool. Have they watched The Last Unicorn at all?

Yes, actually!!! They didn't like it as much as I did ironically LOL.... We randomly found it on Youtube, but it's been taken off now. I'll probably try to buy it that way our daughter can see it when she's older.

Sounds good! Pleased therapy's going well

Cheers Ian. I'm really enjoying the therapy, I've another 2 sessions left (we are having a two week gap between the sessions this time), but I could pay to have more (these sessions are being covered by my employment).

50685288513_54bb8e91d7_k.jpgUntitled by Dales Boy, on Flickr

Yesterday's fell walk was hard.... really hard. Primarily because of the snow and ice on the tops. There wasn't a lot, but where there was it made ascents (but more so) descents difficult, not helped by a border collie that likes to pull ahead occasionally. It was around 6 and half miles in total but due to the snow it took me around 7 hours, with some fairly gruelling ascents. In total I climbed an ascent total of 2423ft. There were aspects I really enjoyed, and other bits I hated and asked 'why am I doing this....'

Overall though, it was another positive experience. I'm certainly getting fitter.....and pushing myself harder each time!

Lass enjoyed it too!

50686130117_bc830b2258_k.jpgUntitled by Dales Boy, on Flickr

50685288483_31841c1a64_k.jpgUntitled by Dales Boy, on Flickr

• Like 1

Well this is all new a shiny!! 

Having a decent week so far. It is my last week of full teaching until the New Year, and I must admit I'm really looking forward to the break! I've a planned hike for Saturday (weather maybe a bit wet) but I'm determined to still get out, burn some calories and build some muscles.

Had a bit of a fall on Sunday evening, mis judged a step upstairs and really hurt my foot and elbow. I don't think it matters how old you are....when you fall and hurt yourself, you fell like you are 5 again!

Had a bit of a surprise text this week. Someone I went on a date with back in August dropped me a message, we met on a dating app. I'll be honest, I didn't really feel any attraction, but could see a friendship coming out of it. Last heard from her in October, but received a nice message a couple of days ago and we plan to meet up in the New Year.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate I've been quiet over the last few weeks. We've been ok, I just haven't had the desire to really post anything.

Almost two weeks ago we had a horrendous hike. Bad weather, misjudging how long it would take, and I ended up coming down the mountain side when it was nearly dark. Lesson learnt, and I'll be better prepared next time.

On Tuesday we had an amazing hike. Good weather, breathtaking views and just the best of companions by my side!

IMG_2935 DSC08015 (1)

DSC08018 DSC08021 (5)

We'd planned to head out early this morning to do a similar hike, but last vomited a few times yesterday, and then had diarrhoea last night, so we made decision to leave it today, and both of us have a well earned rest. Next week looks dry, so we will head out then. 

Incidentally I received a message from 'C' asking about meeting up now she is back up here. I've replied and I'm awaiting to hear back. Any meet up will be taken at face value, nothing more.

Edited by Dalesboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, LaHermes said:

Beautiful photos, DB. Breathtaking scenery.  What an amazing part of the world.

Every good wish for a happy and peaceful Christmas, DB.  And all you could wish for in the New Year. 

Thanks LaH, and thank you for your support over the last few months, it's really been appreciated.

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.

50685288483_741b4a3130_b.jpg

I hope everyone has had a nice Christmas so far.

Lass hasn't been too well. The day after our hike she began vomiting, followed by diarrhoea. I called at the vets on Christmas Eve who recommended a bland diet of chicken and eggs. Although she is now fine in herself, the diarrhoea continued (she had me up at 3am this morning). It looks like a bacterial infection, so they have given me antibiotics. They also mentioned a small lump at the back of her mouth, most likely its nothing and fairly common, but to keep an eye on it. Trying to not dwell on it though, and look at it more positive.

Should be out hiking on Wednesday.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Rose Mosse said:

Sorry to hear about Lass. I hope she's feeling better soon and the lump is nothing. As usual, fantastic shots, Tom. Hope you have a blissful rest of the holidays and Happy New Year!

Thanks Rose

I got a bit upset regarding Lass last night. I had a look at the 'lump' it's like a fleshy flap between her tongue and molars, a bit like a skin tag you can get on your skin (about 2cm long). I'm very thankful I have pet insurance as I'm going to see about the vets removing it in the next few weeks.

I left Lass at home today after the past week and her upset stomach. I'll post some more photos later, but here is one I took after walk. Wast Water and the Wasdale valley looking directly towards Great Gable.

DSC08124.thumb.jpeg.0ff87da7d77e4f1eea3f4237e9265c42.jpeg

Edited by Dalesboy
  • Like 1