How are you dealing with the trashcan fire that is 2020? How are you?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth to tell Dalesboy I just don't listen to Covid stuff any more. So much drama and scaremongering goes on.

And as you know, the raves and "blasts" involving huge crowds of people are the cause of the rise in Covid cases. Not just in UK but elsewhere. There seems to be no control over these "congregations" as they are now being called.

Saw this earlier:

"Meanwhile, visitors have flocked to Blackpool this weekend, despite police warning against having a "last blast" in the resort before tighter restrictions come into force in the rest of Lancashire on Tuesday."

"People in England who refuse an order to self-isolate could be fined up to £10,000 from 28 September.

The new legal duty requires people to self-isolate if they test positive for coronavirus, or are traced as a close contact."

"The idea of introducing fines sounds good on paper, given it is believed only one in five people fully self-isolate when they need to.

But there is real concern it will have an unintended consequence - and end up discouraging people from having a test in the first place or taking calls from contact tracers.

Self-isolation can be costly for some in terms of lost income and job security (even with the offer of £500 payments)."

You probably have "shebeens" there in Wales too, Dalesboy. These illegal public houses are thriving right now, packing in the crowds and packing in the money!

Anyhow, a peaceful and restful night to all. It's late here.

Edited by LaHermes
  • Like 1
Truth to tell Dalesboy I just don't listen to Covid stuff any more. So much drama and scaremongering goes on.

And as you know, the raves and "blasts" involving huge crowds of people are the cause of the rise in Covid cases. Not just in UK but elsewhere. There seems to be no control over these "congregations" as they are now being called.

Saw this earlier:

"Meanwhile, visitors have flocked to Blackpool this weekend, despite police warning against having a "last blast" in the resort before tighter restrictions come into force in the rest of Lancashire on Tuesday."

"People in England who refuse an order to self-isolate could be fined up to £10,000 from 28 September.

The new legal duty requires people to self-isolate if they test positive for coronavirus, or are traced as a close contact."

"The idea of introducing fines sounds good on paper, given it is believed only one in five people fully self-isolate when they need to.

But there is real concern it will have an unintended consequence - and end up discouraging people from having a test in the first place or taking calls from contact tracers.

Self-isolation can be costly for some in terms of lost income and job security (even with the offer of £500 payments)."

You probably have "shebeens" there in Wales too, Dalesboy. These illegal public houses are thriving right now, packing in the crowds and packing in the money!

Anyhow, a peaceful and restful night to all. It's late here.

Im heading off too!

I’ll let you into a secret before I go.....I’m originally from Blackpool!!! :tongue:

Night guys! x

My husband and I are fine. We haven't felt locked down or stifled or stuck or anything negative. Our lives are pretty much as they always have been. We have a large rural property that we love and that works for us. I could happily stay here indefinitely. We have an online business so we dont need to "go to work" out in public. We go grocery shopping etc about once every 10 days which is enough. I hate shopping in general, amazon works for me! So we are ok here.

The only sad part is we are not going on our usual Mexican holiday in Feb., no way are we going on an airplane. But that's ok. Maybe the following year.

So Dalesboy:

"I’m originally from Blackpool!!! "

You're a Lancashire lad.

I do recall a lovely holiday in Lytham St. Anne's with my parents, when I was around twelve, and being taken to the amazing circus in the Blackpool tower.

I am indeed, from birth to the age of 19. After studying in Manchester I lived with my late grandfather in the Yorkshire Dales (where All Creatures Great and Small was filmed for those outside of the UK). I've been here for the last 15 years. :)

I am indeed, from birth to the age of 19. After studying in Manchester I lived with my late grandfather in the Yorkshire Dales (where All Creatures Great and Small was filmed for those outside of the UK). I've been here for the last 15 years. :)

We were supposed to go to London and Cambridge this summer. Would have been mine and my son's first time. Son is 1/8th British!

"Last week, Nuffield Health reported that around 80% of British people working from home now feel lockdown has had a negative impact on their mental health, while a quarter of those (25%) said they were finding it difficult to cope with the emotional challenges of isolation."

"Nor will these problems disappear as restrictions are lifted, psychologists warn. “This crisis is going to cause considerable, lasting anxiety for many people,” said Professor Til Wykes, of King’s College London.

According to Wykes, one out of four individuals is likely to have a mental health problem at some point in their life. “That was the situation before Covid arrived. Now, we are going to have extra new waves of people suffering from anxiety or depression or possibly more serious illnesses such as schizophrenia.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2020/jun/21/im-broken-how-anxiety-and-stress-hit-millions-in-uk-covid-19-lockdown

How are you dealing with the trashcan fire that is 2020? How are you?

Where I live this is literal... we had almost two weeks of some of the worst air quality in the world due to the fires in California, Oregon and Washington :(

The air is cleaner today, my lungs are still working to clean themselves out.

Where I live this is literal... we had almost two weeks of some of the worst air quality in the world due to the fires in California, Oregon and Washington :(

The air is cleaner today, my lungs are still working to clean themselves out.

Yep, I have a runny nose, headache and sore throat from the smoky air. Also sneezing a lot. As it's my first day at my new job I would prefer the sneezing and runny nose to not be present as it could scare my new coworkers.

Found this:

"Think 2020 has been bad so far? Imagine living in 536 A.D.

According to this great summary by Ann Gibbons in Science mag, many experts consider that year to be one of the — if not the — worst years ever in recorded human history. Why? Turns out a volcanic eruption in Iceland created a cloud so large that it darkened the skies above Europe and Asia for months. As a result, temperatures dropped, snow fell during the summer, crops failed, famine spread and millions of people starved. To add insult to injury, historians believe that this massive change somehow caused bubonic plague, which would go on to eliminate almost half of the Eastern Roman Empire's population and hasten its collapse.

So don’t complain about 2020. We’ve got Netflix. Besides, whether you lived through the challenges of 536 or 2020, owning a small business hasn’t changed that much. That’s because the basic principles of business ownership are timeless."

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/353327

Good night from me folks. Up at 7 and out the house at 8! New school I’ve an hour and half’s work at, also heard I’ve a new pupil at another school wanting violin lessons.

Positive news I really needed.

Night all x

Great news!!

So pleased Dalesboy about your good news. Hope there will be lots more work for you in the pipeline.

Meantime:

"wo Oxford doctors, Carl Heneghan and Tom Jefferson of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine, wrote of the folly of the rule of six, saying that in Britain: “Covid admissions, critical care bed occupancies and deaths are all at an all-time low.”

Cases are being over-diagnosed and governments, over reliant on dubious modelling, are panicking. "

"But as the doctors warned, the rule of six could be the policy that tips Britons over the edge."

From The Courier (U.K.)

Edited by LaHermes

You were asking Rensi:

"checking in with everyone to see how you are handling one of the worst years in recent memory."

No doubt people deal with the present crisis depending on character and resilience. Adhering to the precautions is IMO paramount. Wear the mask, keep washing the hands.

We had a few people for dinner the other evening. Nothing special, just a nice get together. One woman (68) had just returned from France where she had been for a month at her village house there. She said there was no testing at airport either end, but form-filling on return journey.

Another woman, whose brother (about 58 I think) just went back to France (by ferry) as he is refurbishing a property there. He said there were only 20 vehicles on the ferry, no food outlets at all were open on board, so you had to have some food with you, and you went straight to your cabin.

By and large, among our range of acquaintances that's how it is. I/we shall be in the air shortly.So much to do and not enough time in which to do it!

For my boyfriend and I, 2020 has been a good year.

Yes, we have had challenges. I lost my job, he's had to close his office. He's in the travel industry, which has been absolutely decimated by COVID.

However, we were given a generous unemployment credit by our state, and that offset a lot of potential stress. We are responsible with money, and could have made ends meet even without the additional $600/week unemployment credit. But having that credit was really nice.

For about two months, we enjoyed what amounted to a quiet, paid vacation. Our whole town, which is centered around NYC, slowed down to a crawl. We spent lazy days with the windows thrown open, listening to the peace and quiet. I felt completely blessed.

Then I got another job. For the last four months, I've spent long days outdoors, in the beautiful mountains. Then I returned home for long weekends--often 5 or 6 days long. No obligations to be anywhere because we really can't... Who could ask for more?

The news will never be on in my home. I have no time for fear- and hate-mongering, and I pay no attention to it. If that's a sin, I don't care. Let god strike me down (I doubt he will). I think our news media is a cancer. It provokes mental illness.

The annoying Covid scare-mongering and drama-rama is so unhelpful. Blasted at us from all sides. What is the point, I ask?

A little level-headed reporting would be such a treat.

Even previously sensible radio talk programmes with good content have joined the Covid-scarey party. So, as I like to have radio on while I work, I have tuned to an all-music station.