The first year is supposed to be the hardest, but this can’t be normal.

I'm sorry it didn't work out. But when someone has an addiction, there is literally nothing you can do. They have to want to get help and they are the one who has to want to change.

It doesn't sound like your husband is ready to take those steps, and until he does, he will continue on in this cycle of addiction.

You've tried everything you could, but I am still sorry that it turned out this way. I hope you have the support you need.

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to update you all that I have moved out and am finally taking the proper steps towards divorcing my husband. As expected, things got a lot worse and at this point every bridge is burnt. He keeps contacting me going back and forth about wanting to be with me and not wanting to “give up who he is as a person” (a gambler?). This is really really hard. I don’t even miss him, I just wish I would have gotten out before things got too far. He is trying to screw me over in every way possible, but I am keeping my head up. Giving up my material things will be worth it in the long run and thankfully he let me take the cats. I know things aren’t going to be better for a while, but if there’s anyone out there who is questioning their marriage on a daily basis, please follow your instincts. Some people aren’t capable of empathy and change. Do what’s best for you, no matter what challenges it may cause. Thank you all for your words of support.

Glad you are taking care of yourself. This is the hardest part but you can get through it. Yes, do keep us posted and stay safe.

Archived