How are you dealing with the changes brought about by this pandemic?

No one is listening Wiseman!

"This is exactly the type of social media people should avoid."

Drama-rama is so much more fun after all. And the media is full of it.

What other people do doesn't really concern me. If they are breaking the law that's what the police are for.

As for the original question:

How am I dealing with the changes? The same as most sensible people. I sure don't go to "raves" or to illegal public houses (oh yes we have those too!), or rock concerts (there aren't any at the moment!). I have plenty to fill my day. Unfortunately I cannot travel out of the country right now, but I'll get there. I can do a fair amount of work from home. But I need to travel.

Are there covid-bearing beings pushing up outside against our windows à la "night of the living dead." No.

Panic and fear - and bad temper - will put you under the ground far quicker than any covid.

Anyhow:

“Having spent the better part of my life trying either to relive the past or experience the future before it arrives, I have come to believe that in between these two extremes is peace.” – Author Unknown

Edited by LaHermes
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly bizarre Wiseman. But it has to be done. I caught a glimpse of myself in a shop mirror and didn't know it was me, with that black mask on. Lol.

Strange isn't it. Other times try entering a shop masked and you'd be seen as a possible armed robber.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/came-ireland-essentially-avoid-florida-passengers-arriving-ireland-us-1044223

The couldn't stay away lol.

"Four flights arrived in Dublin Airport from the US this morning - from New York, Chicago, Newark and Dallas.

The flights from Chicago and New York had about 70-80 people on board - they had been sold out, but many passengers did not show up at the airport in the US.

The Newark flight had around 50 people on board, while the flight from Dallas had 16 passengers."

Do passengers on flights from high impact areas have to quarantine? Many EU countries have restrictions on US passengers.🛬

I don't know, you couldn't pay me enough money to hop in a public pool, go to Disney World or get on a long range flight. What kind of vacation is being holed up in a hotel room for 14 days or wearing a mask with your Mickey Mouse ears? 😷🐭

Yes that's right Disney World opened yesterday in Florida, one of the highest impact areas with exponential new cases.🌴

Four flights arrived in Dublin Airport from the US this morning - from New York, Chicago, Newark and Dallas.

Yes Wise. 14-day self-isolation. One flight from Texas had only 12 passengers on board. Wouldn't even offset the cost of the fuel, though I expect the plane topped up on cargo. However, there sure would be distancing on board!

https://www.thejournal.ie/texas-dublin-tourist-flights-5148726-Jul2020/

Just o share:

Son of friends of ours. He was at a train station down-country, very quiet place, working on some electronic equipment for the company. A voice behind him and he turns to see a little elderly lady addressing him. All on her own, luggage all round her, had obviously got off the train from Dublin. As soon as she spoke he knew she was American. She wanted to know where was the bus station! As she had to travel onwards. Obviously she didn't know where she was. No bus station there. Friends' son anyhow kindly offered to drive her the 20 miles or so to nearest bus station. He didn't like to interrogate her much but wondered how on earth could a quite elderly lady have come all the way from U.S. given the situation and not even be sure where she was headed.

Edited by LaHermes

The greedy companies don't care about the health of their customers. They gotta make their money. I have a coworker who is dyyyyying to go back to Disney in FL. She is getting tickets for later this year.

The greedy companies don't care about the health of their customers. They gotta make their money. I have a coworker who is dyyyyying to go back to Disney in FL. She is getting tickets for later this year.

0?e=1597881600&v=beta&t=io9OAeoL1W0YmqCyDSBW2_yGqJa5ahgTQ68vLwY_GDo

• Like 1

Some news:

"The British government is reported to be making plans to distribute millions of free coronavirus antibody tests after a version it backed passed its first major trials.

The Daily Telegraph says the finger tests, which can tell within 20 minutes if a person has ever been exposed to the coronavirus, were found to be 98.6% accurate in secret human trials held in June.

The newspaper says the test was developed by the UK Rapid Test Consortium (UK-RTC), a partnership between Oxford University and leading UK diagnostics firms."

"The government is said to be hoping that the AbC-19 lateral flow test will be available for use in a mass screening programme before the end of the year.

Chris Hand, the leader of the UK-RTC, was quoted by the Telegraph as saying: "It was found to be 98.6%accurate, and that's very good news."

He said: "We're now scaling up with our partners to produce hundreds of thousands of doses every month," adding the government's health department is in talks with UK-RTC to buy millions of tests before the year ends.

The tests are likely to be free and would be ordered online instead of being sold in supermarkets, according to plans cited by the newspaper.

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesman was quoted as saying: "While these tests will help us better understand how coronavirus is spreading across the country, we do not yet know whether antibodies indicate immunity from reinfection or transmission.""

The thread starts with "How are you dealing....."

These are uneasy times. I don't like it either, nor do any of the people I know.

However, getting angry, upset, annoyed, enraged, is counterproductive and only sends the BP sky high. We are responsible for ourselves, not for others and what they might be doing or not doing.

The crisis has been used to to spread disinformation.

The past months have been marked by dodgy dossiers leaked to the media and conspiracy theories, pushed by US officials engaged in a struggle for global influence with Beijing, suggesting that the virus was deliberately cooked up in a Chinese lab.

Feel free to read the rest:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/jul/10/whos-covid-19-inquiry-global-responses-trump-fake-news-disinformation

Don't let them panic you. Panic is worse than the disease itself.

So, there you have it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0713/1153077-kerry-tourism/

Two groups of US diners were turned away from the Croí Restaurant in the historic Princes Street quarter of Tralee after admitting they had not quarantined, according to its chef Noel Keane.

While one group did not object to being turned away, a person in the other group responded by saying the Covid-19 pandemic was "over-hyped", Mr Keane explained.

"Basically they did not believe the pandemic was serious," he added.

Yes, Wiseman. The situation over there is perilous. But they travel to Europe nonetheless.

You will note that one of the group of USA visitors said the pandemic is not serious!

This is what your Embassy has to say on their page:

"There are no restrictions on flights from the United States to Ireland although the number of available flights is significantly diminished.  Aer Lingus is the only carrier flying to the United States from Ireland, with limited service from Dublin to Boston, Chicago, and New York.   "

i think Brazil and US both dont have leaders that lead by example.Still the general public dont care about educating themselves.

its like driving a car on the road you are responsible for yours as well as others safety but people refuse sometimes to accept realities and this been months now, in about few months we will enter a year of pandemic. China refused to believe and warn the world. WHO didnt care to warn early for shutting down borders and we are expecting the general public to be sensitive about these matters. We need strong leaders in WHO and world powers like China US need responsible leaders who lead by example not with stupid agendas that doesnt serve good to the whole mankind. Unfortunately the general public is paying the price for electing such people to the top position.

Progress.

"A coronavirus vaccine developed by the University of Oxford appears safe and triggers an immune response.

Trials involving 1,077 people showed the injection led to them making antibodies and T-cells that can fight coronavirus.

The findings are hugely promising, but it is still too soon to know if this is enough to offer protection and larger trials are under way.

The UK has already ordered 100 million doses of the vaccine.

How does the vaccine work?

The vaccine - called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 - is being developed at unprecedented speed."

"More than 10,000 people will take part in the next stage of the trials in the UK.

However, the trial has also been expanded to other countries because levels of coronavirus are low in the UK, making it hard to know if the vaccine is effective.

There will be a large trial involving 30,000 people in the US as well 2,000 in South Africa and 5,000 in Brazil.

There are also calls to perform "

From a report by

By James Gallagher

Health and science correspondent of BBC

• Like 1

I don't blame countries sealing their borders to keep Americans out. I feel that this response is prompted less by COVID numbers and more Americans' attitudes about the pandemic. If we were smart about it, we wouldn't be in this position now. No one wants some stupid American coming over and breathing on everyone, refusing to wear a mask or quarantine because "MAH FREEDUMS 'RE BEIN' VEE-OLATED".

(before anyone jumps down my throat for being mean to Americans, I am an American in this sorry sack of a country right now so I can disparage the whole lot of them.)

• Like 1
I don't blame countries sealing their borders to keep Americans out. I feel that this response is prompted less by COVID numbers and more Americans' attitudes about the pandemic. If we were smart about it, we wouldn't be in this position now. No one wants some stupid American coming over and breathing on everyone, refusing to wear a mask or quarantine because "MAH FREEDUMS 'RE BEIN' VEE-OLATED".

(before anyone jumps down my throat for being mean to Americans, I am an American in this sorry sack of a country right now so I can disparage the whole lot of them.)

Yup, any group of people with overwhelming numbers needs to stay home.

You did make me laugh Fudgie!. And you would be right, IMO, that it was the response re the pandemic rather than the numbers or their presence which prompted the reaction.

American visitors are always welcome over here in Europe, under more normal circumstances. They are really good sports even when they get ribbed here with tall tales about haunted castles, "the little people", headless coachmen and battles which never took place! The late Brendan Grace did a wonderful piece about the American who had come to Ireland to attend a wedding in Thurles, carrying with him some valuable Waterford crystal as a wedding gift, and taking the train.

Meantime:

"Yesterday evening, Irish restauranteur JP McMahon wrote on Twitter that staff in his Galway restaurant Cava Bodega were "very uncomfortable" as a group of people from Texas dined in their restaurant.

"We have no way of knowing if they just arrived and should be self-quaranting," he wrote.

"We need a decision on this, particularly if people are coming from places with high cases."

Mr McMahon's post garnered a lot of attention from Irish citizens who voiced their anger at the Government's lack of clarification, and from other businesses who had faced the same dilemma as Cava Bodega.

We had to turn away 2 Americans for dinner last week. They were renting a house in the area and had flown straight in from Denver. — Gregans Castle Hotel

Gregans Castle Hotel, based in the Burren in County Clare, said they "had to turn away two Americans for dinner last week".

"They were renting a house in the area and had flown straight in from Denver."

Another popular Galway bar and restaurant, The King's Head, which usually welcomes tourists with open arms, said "we refused a group of Americans yesterday who admitted that they had just flown in".

However, there's this. Any takers over there in USA?

Loftus Hall (Wexford) . Beautiful location, but....................

According to The Irish Examiner, current owner Aidan Quigley says he is "not going to sell it to anyone".

"I'll be interviewing potential buyers. If a state body comes in, that's an option. If an American owner wants to live here, I'd be keen to work with them to restore it."

Edited by LaHermes

I like imagining "America," in these dizzying times, as a poster here on ENA.

He/she would be chronicling a multi-year saga of dysfunction, of toxicity begetting toxicity, valorizing the sort of "good times" that others call "most days," only to grow irate and dismissive at at anyone (which is to say everyone) who attempts to help him/her see that dysfunction is dysfunction, that toxic is toxic, that "good" should be baseline rather than a fleeting exception. Then he/she vanishes from the forum for a stretch, popping up with an update that is roughly the same, but a little more dysfunctional, the toxins spreading, and the responses to the responses are again so volatile that it's very hard for the kindest and most patient of listeners to continue to extend sympathy and good will.

That said, if "America" is a relationship—and, in ways, it is!—it's not one I would have ever described as healthy or functional during the 40 years of life I lived before the pandemic, so this American, while angry and saddened, has at least found a modicum of refuge in not being surprised at what's what during these dark days. The whimsical optimist that dominates my mental machinery, however, has some hope that, in getting humbled on such a scale, we'll find some way to embrace humility on the other side of this.

Some of those posters do come back, after all, chastened by time and experience.

The part I find distressing is the number of people who care only about themselves and loudly and proudly proclaim their selfishness to anyone who chooses to listen.

I, on the other hand, honestly and truly believe there are more caring people out there than uncaring. The uncaring, selfish ones get the press while those who are quietly volunteering, donating and helping others don't. The media finds chaos much more compelling than humanitarianism because that's what they believe their viewers want. Why else would programs like Jerry Springer and the Real Housewives franchise be so popular and high-rated?

But I don't buy what they're selling. There is too much good being done for me to pessimistically conclude that all people are a-holes. Small example; my friend donates blood every time she's eligible even though she's terrified of needles. She figures people need her blood so she'll fight past her fear to do this for them.

Are there selfish a-holes? Of course! And they seem to want the world to know of their selfishness. But sorry, there's more good people than there are selfish ones and I believe this with all my heart.

Some people take longer to come to the bright side than others. As long as the majority of them get there. I think people will get tired of fighting, will get tired of being at odds with their neighbors and will get tired of seeing and/or knowing their neighbors are sickening and dying and they will start doing the right thing. Some never will, but I believe most will come around. Hopefully sooner than later.

I, on the other hand, honestly and truly believe there are more caring people out there than uncaring.

I very much agree.

In the context of the pandemic? I think we have to think of nations a bit as "people." And the U.S.? Well, maturity has never been our strong suit. We are showing ourselves to be what we've always been: the globe's precious child, albeit one who is now an adolescent while still resorting to childish coping mechanisms. Awkward! Just as inside the most self-absorbed teenager is a caring human still blooming, I'd like to think that inside the U.S. is something similar, just taking a long, sabotaging road to the surface.

Bottom line, as I see things, is that we just have no real experience in modern history in the business of needing—like, for real, needing—to come together. We've pantomimed it here and there, but this is different, the consequences of our actions and inactions harder to ignore since they're playing out on our home turf. It's not a media thing, or an uncaring thing, I don't think, but more of a collective maturity thing. Growing pains during a very, very painful time.