How are you dealing with the changes brought about by this pandemic?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes. It's still quite bad all over. If people spread/infect through no fault such as working what can you do? Nothing is 100%. It's the fools at the beaches, mass gatherings etc that could be prevented. I get it. I'm tired of the masks, I refuse to zoom, etc.

I think certain activities could and should be recommended that promote fitness, stress reduction and some form of social interaction and a respite from this seeming endless nightmare of new vocabulary like zoom shirt, social distance, herd immunity, etc.

For example golf, tennis, hiking, horseback riding and many other naturally distanced sports/activities. Where's my voucher for that? lol. Everyone needs fresh air, a smile, seeing other people and stretching their legs. By having recommend activities (and incentives and of course safety measures), perhaps people wouldn't simply explode, rip off masks and run to mass gatherings at beaches, parks etc.

My son, his spouse and I go for walks. We don't stay the mandated 6 feet away from one another but we do wear masks and we do avoid other people. It's quite easy to walk around others and I will even cross the street or walk IN the street if I encounter other people, particularly when they are not wearing masks. I did have to stop a couple of times the last time we went for a walk because I started feeling overheated in my mask, but that's fine, I can do that.

We are NOT going to bars and restaurants or rock climbing gyms (?) or to shopping centers/malls, or to the unbelievably crowded beach boardwalk. I saw a YouTube video of the nearby boardwalk and the crowds were insane. People having to push past one another to get by, few masks. And one business was offering boat harbor tours and they were selling out all the seats! So people were crammed into seats so close they were touching. And apparently this is allowed and people were buying! I guess people are willing to die of Covid as long as they are not bored!

I also find it ridiculous that businesses are touting "We have hand sanitizer!!!" like that's supposed to mean something when it's been pretty widely communicated that the virus is mainly transmitted from human to human. Hand sanitizer is not going to help you if you're unmasked and are in close contact with an infected person who is also unmasked.

But as you mentioned, there are plenty of ways to get in person human interaction without crowding one another.

I wonder how many Americans will be left by the end of the year. I envision a HUGE decrease in the population. I just wonder if I'll still be here and if I'll WANT to still be here.

I refuse to zoom, etc.

I think certain activities could and should be recommended that promote fitness, stress reduction and some form of social interaction and a respite from this seeming endless nightmare of new vocabulary like zoom shirt, social distance, herd immunity, etc.

For example golf, tennis, hiking, horseback riding and many other naturally distanced sports/activities. Where's my voucher for that? lol. Everyone needs fresh air, a smile, seeing other people and stretching their legs. By having recommend activities (and incentives and of course safety measures), perhaps people wouldn't simply explode, rip off masks and run to mass gatherings at beaches, parks etc.

Wisely said, Wise. And I refuse to zoom also. Tiresome.

And yes to promotion of distanced sports activities. And anything to reduce the already off the scale stress so many are experiencing.. I find the idea of a crowded beach or park nightmarish at the best of times, and in no way to be recommended in the present situation. But I do understand how people cooped up in close confinement would bust loose and head for the hills.

Btw.

Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands last week said that they had acquired 400 million potential vaccine doses - in principle available to all member states - from AstraZeneca.

Edited by LaHermes

Today:

"Francesco Rocca, president of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), warned that in the Americas especially, the consequences of mixed and partisan messages from politicians, often contradicting scientific advice on how to deal with Covid-19, were dire.

"America as a continent is paying the highest price for this kind of division or not following the advice coming from the scientific community," he told a virtual briefing hosted by the UN correspondents' association in Geneva.

The US is the worst-hit country, accounting for a quarter of global cases and deaths, "

Meantime from the WHO.

"The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, or sore throat. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment, and for the majority – especially for children and young adults – illness due to COVID-19 is generally minor.

However, for some people it can cause serious illness. Around 1 in every 5 people who are infected with COVID-19 develop difficulty in breathing and require hospital care.

People who are aged over 60 years, and people who have underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, respiratory disease or hypertension are among those who are at greater risk of developing severe or critical illness if infected with the virus."

Today:

"Francesco Rocca, president of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), warned that in the Americas especially, the consequences of mixed and partisan messages from politicians, often contradicting scientific advice on how to deal with Covid-19, were dire.

"America as a continent is paying the highest price for this kind of division or not following the advice coming from the scientific community," he told a virtual briefing hosted by the UN correspondents' association in Geneva.

The US is the worst-hit country, accounting for a quarter of global cases and deaths, "

Meantime from the WHO.

"The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, or sore throat. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment, and for the majority – especially for children and young adults – illness due to COVID-19 is generally minor.

However, for some people it can cause serious illness. Around 1 in every 5 people who are infected with COVID-19 develop difficulty in breathing and require hospital care.

People who are aged over 60 years, and people who have underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, respiratory disease or hypertension are among those who are at greater risk of developing severe or critical illness if infected with the virus."

Disturbing for sure and shows complete lack of leadership. I don't need a govt official to tell me what to do and I follow science and common sense.

It is disappointing that so mamy could care less about how their actions impact others.

Unfortunately, my willingness to follow the science and show concern for others will not save me from the massive ramifications of the acts of others.

I will suffer the consequences of the population at large. those who are ignorant to the saying cutting your nose despite your face, will have a fair reaching impact.

For my part, I rarely go out and just for groceries. I wear a mask. I'm happy to report in my area of the US, I see a lot of masks and distancing. Most people I know are the same.

i do have a friend, that one, I'm still trying to shake. That does what see wants because she is a moron. lol. she's been off traveling and with people from highly impacted areas... thankfully, that gives me reason to further distance myself from her.

Its so messed up that everything is political. I really feel people are blind. A virus has no political or religious affiliation....

And the show must go on!

From a Financial Times article (18th June)

"Set by set, shot by shot, the global entertainment factory that is Netflix is reawakening from its pandemic slumber. Few big broadcasters or studios shut down faster than the streaming company after the risks of coronavirus became clear. Now, as the industry figures out how to operate in this strange new era, few can match its deep pockets and continent-spanning footprint to restart at scale. By the end of September, Netflix hopes to be back to near normal, with more than 20 dramas filming across Europe and the Middle East alone

"

"Movies and high-end scripted shows, the stuff of Netflix and other big Hollywood studios, pose a challenge of a different order. The more expensive the cast, the more crowded the scenes, the more jet-setting the international shoots planned, the bigger the headache facing producers. The countermeasures can range from the mundane (round-the-clock cleaning, temperature tests, more Winnebagos for cast members to have plastic-wrapped, solitary lunches) to the seemingly ridiculous (expensive virus-killer robots firing out UV rays). Luegenbiehl says Netflix is considering hiring entire hotels “for extended periods” so everyone “can be in one place and one location”.

Movies and high-end scripted shows, the stuff of Netflix and other big Hollywood studios, pose a challenge of a different order. The more expensive the cast, the more crowded the scenes, the more jet-setting the international shoots planned, the bigger the headache facing producers. The countermeasures can range from the mundane (round-the-clock cleaning, temperature tests, more Winnebagos for cast members to have plastic-wrapped, solitary lunches) to the seemingly ridiculous (expensive virus-killer robots firing out UV rays). Luegenbiehl says Netflix is considering hiring entire hotels “for extended periods” so everyone “can be in one place and one location”.

How are THEY dealing with the changes, I wonder.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53247787

UK firms slash more than 12,000 jobs in two days

That's why retail businesses need to use my mobile app. They will attract more customers, the consumers will save money and I will create new jobs. Everyone will be happy. I am telling them that, why they don't listen?

Worth a read IMO

https://thepsychologygroup.com/catastrophic-thinking-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

“Since the brain has evolved to err on the side of caution, its default setting is to treat anything novel, ambiguous, or uncertain as inherently aversive.”

The more vulnerable someone is to emotional distress, the more painful beliefs will be maintained despite any evidence to the contrary. For example, a person may view themselves very harshly due to a core belief that states they are inadequate, unlovable, worthless, etc. In turn, the core belief will cause the person to evaluate situations in a distorted manner, ultimately reinforcing the core belief.

A lot of fishing in troubled waters going on in these outlandish times.

Dramatic rise in online scams during pandemic

We had a scam a couple of weeks ago where very effective text messages were going to everybody - both bank customers and non-bank customers," Det Supt Lordan said.

From RTE report.

"Some of the bank customers fell for the scam. That scammer text people saying their card had been compromised at a store or online. It asked them to cut up their bank card and post it to an address. The person was also asked to text their pin number.

"It looked really professional and quite a substantial amount of people did cut up their cards and send them to the address.

Great , no immunity even if you test positive.

MIT Technology Review:

"The research included four coronaviruses, HKU1, NL63, OC42, and C229E, which circulate widely every year but don’t get much attention because they only cause common colds. But now that a new coronavirus in the same broad family, SARS-CoV-2, has the world on lockdown, information about the mild viruses is among our clues to how the pandemic might unfold.

What the Columbia researchers now describe in a preliminary report is cause for concern. They found that people frequently got reinfected with the same coronavirus, even in the same year, and sometimes more than once. Over a year and a half, a dozen of the volunteers tested positive two or three times for the same virus, in one case with just four weeks between positive results."

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Testing positive after an initial infection does not necessarily = reinfection. We don't know enough about COVID yet but many viruses do have a stage of "viral shedding" where you may test positive for the virus RNA or antigen for a while after infection but you're not actually sick or contagious.

A very good tip from Wiseman

One tip is to stop oversaturating on news and social media. News has to be sensationalist to sell. Whether it is about Covid or about some other unfortunate situation. And now the panic-mongering has leaked from the general news stations into what had been reasonably interesting chat shows/interviews, etc.

I also refuse to have calamitous catastrophizing conversations with people IRL . Most people I know don't go down that road. But two days ago met someone, an acquaintance out on the street, who in a sort of hushed tone started in about the same old same old and how was I coping. I parried with another question: "And how did you enjoy your day out in the countryside the other day!" The message went home.

A quote:

"“Life is a preparation for the future; and the best preparation for the future is to live as if there were none.”

― Albert Einstein

Edited by LaHermes

That Einstein quote always makes me laugh. How I would live if I assumed/knew there was no future would be very different than how I am living now. I wouldn't be in school or working for example and I'd actually be out and about and not caring about masks. May as well go out with a bang and enjoy myself.

The only reason I'm working/in school/isolating is because I am hopeful for a future for myself. If I put in the time now, I can make it a better future for myself. That's all.

I learned in my over half century on this planet that I don't need everything NOW!!!!! Things that are of value are worth waiting for.

Too many people in this country have very little patience.

I'm not shouting "OMG we're all going to DIE!!!" But I am supremely frustrated at how this country's leadership is going to the other extreme; that the virus is no big deal and is something we just have to accept. I don't accept it because we do have tools to help make it better if people were just willing to do a few simple things.

Interestingly, my family members who were shouting the loudest about the virus being a hoax and that hospitals were "empty" are now silent. They live in one of the states where cases are soaring. It's horrible, I hope things get better all over. But the "hoax" shouters are contributors to the situation getting worse since they refused to follow guidelines. I hope they're being more careful now. I hope everyone is. I would hate it if a month down the road we're still in the same situation. We know better and can do better.

AS the man said:

"Life is a preparation for the future;"

Sure we can plan, (intention on the future, attention on the present), and hope.

Meantime, all we have is today, to live as intensely as we can (given that we cannot foretell the future).

I find myself musing on that Robert Frost poem, "The Road Not Taken.

Come to think of it isn't it just as well we cannot fortune tell and see the future.

“Eternity belongs to those who live in the present.” Ludwig Wittgenstein

“The only thing that is ultimately real about your journey is the step that you are taking at this moment. That’s all there ever is.” Eckhart Tolle

Edited by LaHermes

I hear you Bolt. And I am aware to some extent about the Covid problems over there in USA.

Aaah. The "country's leadership". And that is precisely why people need to make their voices heard via the ballot box.

You do you. I find it depressing to live in the present right now. Pre covid, sure, but now? No way. I'd rather work toward the future and fantasize about better days. It's the one thing that gives me hope. Very little in the present brings me joy.

Maybe I'll die tomorrow, I don't know, but it doesn't matter. Life sucks and I don't want to live for today, today sucks. I can only hope the future doesn't.

"Hoax" family is throwing pool parties at their home.

Lord, please protect their children. If the parents don't want to believe the virus is real that's their business, but they have young children. And their state is the second worse in the country.

I try to ignore what others are doing but I can't help but fear for the innocent children who are at the mercy of what their parents choose to do.

And to h*ll with that "children don't get it as bad!" Children shouldn't get it at all, particularly if it's the result of their parents being irresponsible.

Last week my county went to masks mandatory in all commercial locations. I think most of the province is going to go this way. I was out shopping today and only saw one person out of two stores that didn’t have a mask.

Yeah, since they are family I wanted to see how they are getting on. I do care even when I don't agree with what they're doing.

I do have them on "unfollow" so I don't see their posts in my news feed. I've "unfollowed" most of my friends who are blatantly ignoring the recommendations and posting about it. Jeez, I care about these people but if they're not concerned with not only their own health but that of their community it's hard to not feel a certain way about it. I sure can't do anything about it. I just stay quiet and post about it here.

I have noticed that foot traffic in my neighborhood seems to be much lighter, even with the hot weather and how close I am to the beach. I wonder if more people are staying in or if they're driving to places that don't enforce restrictions.

Someday I hope to be able to explore my neighborhood and enjoy all it has to offer.

Indeed Fudgie, the Covid "present" isn't what anyone would have wanted. But it's here until one day it isn't.

I also hope that better times lie ahead, that the economic repercussions can be addressed, because they will be severe I fear.

You are right. Any of us could die tomorrow or next week, and not necessarily from Covid either. No way of knowing.

Many years ago I went to college, and studied and have always worked towards the tomorrow, the unknown tomorrow, since it isn't here yet. I don't live "for" the day. I live "in" the day. No other choice, and Star Trek transportation to the future isn't here yet either, I fear. We all futurised back in the day, thinking we could magically manipulate the future.

Btw I always "do me". LOL.

• Like 1