Teaching credential programs

True . Nowadays schools teach to the test .

No. It's not nowadays. I taught in the 80s and 90s. And it's not because of testing -that is one small part -teaching requires a ton of administrative work including forms, paperwork, grading, documentation etc - some of it can be done during the school day but from what I recall most cannot.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. It's not nowadays. I taught in the 80s and 90s. And it's not because of testing -that is one small part -teaching requires a ton of administrative work including forms, paperwork, grading, documentation etc - some of it can be done during the school day but from what I recall most cannot.

What types of forms ? It’s been awhile since I’ve stepped into a classroom . What kind of documentation ?

What types of forms ? It’s been awhile since I’ve stepped into a classroom . What kind of documentation ?

How about you check into this yourself -google it, and/or find a teacher who would be willing to talk to you about her or his job, his hours of work outside the classroom and on weekends, the administrative aspects. Honestly I'm surprised you're so interested in this career and you would ask this question - what level of due diligence have you done other than "I like working with children?"

Also, those cute decorations in the classrooms are not supplied and put up by the school administration. Those are usually purchased and put up by the teachers. I presume most schools reimburse for the cost but not for the time. Plus, grading papers, writing lesson plans, parent-teacher meetings, continuing education...it's a big time commitment for not much money. Which is why I think most teachers do it because they love educating children and not for the money!

How about you check into this yourself -google it, and/or find a teacher who would be willing to talk to you about her or his job, his hours of work outside the classroom and on weekends, the administrative aspects. Honestly I'm surprised you're so interested in this career and you would ask this question - what level of due diligence have you done other than "I like working with children?"

I will google it . Sounds like a good idea . Well I’m still in the process of figuring it out . The grades I’d look into are preschool and lower level elementary .

I will google it . Sounds like a good idea . Well I’m still in the process of figuring it out . The grades I’d look into are preschool and lower level elementary .

Yes- even more paperwork and documentation there because of all the developmental milestones and early reading requirements, diagnostic evaluations that are plentiful at that age, etc. I taught mostly that age group and a couple of months as a long term sub 5th grade. But my license was k-6. Yes do your due diligence. I did not have the benefit of the internet when I went into teaching in the late 80s so I spoke with parents of my friends and had a group of classmates and recent grads who were pursuing teaching careers like me. I'm still in touch with a number of them!

Yes- even more paperwork and documentation there because of all the developmental milestones and early reading requirements, diagnostic evaluations that are plentiful at that age, etc. I taught mostly that age group and a couple of months as a long term sub 5th grade. But my license was k-6. Yes do your due diligence. I did not have the benefit of the internet when I went into teaching in the late 80s so I spoke with parents of my friends and had a group of classmates and recent grads who were pursuing teaching careers like me. I'm still in touch with a number of them!

Wow . Maybe I’ll look into teachers aide jobs too. I hope to get the feel for it someday . I happened to also be interested in early childhood education .

Wow . Maybe I’ll look into teachers aide jobs too. I hope to get the feel for it someday . I happened to also be interested in early childhood education .

What exactly are you interested in about early childhood education -I would get very specific (not here necessarily but in general) - are you interested in the interactions with parents that it entails (much more than older kids or at least at a different -whole child -level for example) - but yes I strongly suggest getting specific then talking to a seasoned teacher who will be honest and who likes his or her job and see if your list matches what the job actually is.

What exactly are you interested in about early childhood education -I would get very specific (not here necessarily but in general) - are you interested in the interactions with parents that it entails (much more than older kids or at least at a different -whole child -level for example) - but yes I strongly suggest getting specific then talking to a seasoned teacher who will be honest and who likes his or her job and see if your list matches what the job actually is.

I guess it’s the subject matter . I’d have to take a course in it and see how it goes .

I guess it’s the subject matter . I’d have to take a course in it and see how it goes .

My strong suggestion is that unless you can get more specific and more enthusiastic than "I guess it's the subject matter" I would not invest time or money in studying early childhood education -it's an intense and demanding profession to enter as a full time teacher. And no I would not take a course to find out -I'd get hands on experience in an early childhood setting and have informational interviews or discussions with seasoned teachers in the field. (which happens to be what I did when I was interested).

Once daycare centers reopen, get a job working in one. See how you like being around a large group of children for many hours.

I did this in college the year before I did my one year program in elementary education (it was an intensive one year program to complete a major -I also had another major). Anyway, I LOVED my job. I happened to work at the same center as my sister -she was a head teacher, I was a teacher's aide. Kids were 2 to 6 years old. It was exhausting at times -stressful at times -but my head was so filled with all the amazing and funny things the children said and did. I got so attached, too. I didn't have to lesson plan but I learned a lot about that too. I quit only because it was a winter break/summer job kind of job - and my license was k-6. But yes it helped me choose that career which I did for a few years. I left because of the low pay and really stressful experiences with administration in the public school system. Not because of working with large groups of children.

I could never be a teacher of young kids - not because of the kids, but because of the parents. The parents think their little angel walks on water and is actually a terror and who falsely think their child is extremely gifted and smarter than any other kid in the world, or the parents that push their kids too much. But that's just me. When i was in the performing arts, i hated plays that had kids in them - stage parents were the worst. Not as bad when its a 3rd grade ballet recital but really bad with an 'adult" play or musical with 1-4 kids in it.

I could never be a teacher of young kids - not because of the kids, but because of the parents. The parents think their little angel walks on water and is actually a terror and who falsely think their child is extremely gifted and smarter than any other kid in the world, or the parents that push their kids too much. But that's just me. When i was in the performing arts, i hated plays that had kids in them - stage parents were the worst. Not as bad when its a 3rd grade ballet recital but really bad with an 'adult" play or musical with 1-4 kids in it.

Yes a person who feels this way about parents of young children should definitely not work with children -not a good fit. (And I didn't feel this way as a teacher or when I volunteered with children; I am not that way as a parent ever -the opposite --neither are many parents I know). It's good you know that about yourself and really helpful as a way for the OP to evaluate her feelings on the matter!

The volunteering with young children first is a good idea. I’ve worked with children and the elderly for a lot of my life. It is a long hard work. You also need a lot of diplomacy.

That sounds like a good idea 😊. I also think maybe looking into preschools and daycares can be a start

Wow . I’m sorry that you had unpleasant experiences.

I can’t do it . I’m not a manipulative person. I’m not smart enough to be a lawyer .

That profession from all I know doesn't require anyone to be manipulative -because being manipulative is unprofessional. I've met people from all professions- including teachers -who have acted in a manipulative way. Which is unprofessional.

That profession from all I know doesn't require anyone to be manipulative -because being manipulative is unprofessional. I've met people from all professions- including teachers -who have acted in a manipulative way. Which is unprofessional.

Wow . I didn’t know that . Being a lawyer or working with the law doesn’t interest me .

Wow . I didn’t know that . Being a lawyer or working with the law doesn’t interest me .

You didn't know that being manipulative in your dealings with people is unprofessional? And just not nice? I wasn't ever suggesting you consider the legal profession -was just commenting on your assumption that being "manipulative" was a required part of the job. I know of many lawyers. Those who act ethically and professionally of course aren't interested in "manipulating" -I will say that over the last few years I've experienced manipulative messages on Facebook sent to me by people who are involved in multi level marketing companies - they can't manipulate my purchasing choices but yes some attempt to and I really don't appreciate it.

Anyway - my sense is that some hands on, front line experience working in a school or daycare setting with young children will give you a lot of relevant information. good luck!

You didn't know that being manipulative in your dealings with people is unprofessional? And just not nice? I wasn't ever suggesting you consider the legal profession -was just commenting on your assumption that being "manipulative" was a required part of the job. I know of many lawyers. Those who act ethically and professionally of course aren't interested in "manipulating" -I will say that over the last few years I've experienced manipulative messages on Facebook sent to me by people who are involved in multi level marketing companies - they can't manipulate my purchasing choices but yes some attempt to and I really don't appreciate it.

Anyway - my sense is that some hands on, front line experience working in a school or daycare setting with young children will give you a lot of relevant information. good luck!

No what I meant to say is that I didn’t know that it isn’t required to be manipulative to be a lawyer . Yeah you are right . There are manipulative people in various professions and education levels . I’m sorry that you had to experience it . I’m still in the exploration or shopping phase of jobs and careers . I’m trying to pinpoint my interests . They say it’s better to do what interests you . I very much agree with your last paragraph. It’s best to get field experience at a school or daycare before setting foot.

Archived