What are your new routines?

This is a great time to start eating healther, I think. At least, for the ones that are able to stay home / work from home it's doable. Jamie Oliver has recently filmed a short cooking series (Keep Cooking and Carry On) about cooking with what's in a standard pantry and freezer. I wish I could get my hands on it.

As long as we don't run out of coffee, it'll be alright. :friendly_wink:

Kids are funny! You guys made me laugh with your anecdotes!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are A lot of famous people getting coronavirus or are we just hearing more about it?

Because they are famous, they have more access to the COVID test than us peons.

I'm a healthcare worker with a very vulnerable population and if I got sick, I probably would be denied a test but someone like Brad Pitt can request one anytime he wants, it seems.

Because they are famous, they have more access to the COVID test than us peons.

I'm a healthcare worker with a very vulnerable population and if I got sick, I probably would be denied a test but someone like Brad Pitt can request one anytime he wants, it seems.

As the saying goes, "money talks."

From NYT.....How ironic🙁:

"Two years ago, when Dr. Vivek H. Murthy, the former surgeon general of the United States, started researching his book, “Together: The Healing Power of Human Connection in a Sometimes Lonely World,” he never anticipated how relevant the topic would be now that it is about to be published."

From NYT.....How ironic🙁:

"Two years ago, when Dr. Vivek H. Murthy, the former surgeon general of the United States, started researching his book, “Together: The Healing Power of Human Connection in a Sometimes Lonely World,” he never anticipated how relevant the topic would be now that it is about to be published."

That Dr. had certainly foresight. Due to isolation the world feels even lonelier than before at times.

I did the NY Times mini crossword earlier today. With it being new, I'm not sure if it's an every day puzzle, or not, but it's a bit of a distraction in these trying times.

Great idea! On NPR they had someone commenting at how he is now going to read his 120 old New Yorker magazines - "let's dance .... starting with October 2016!" Had to laugh as I stared at my much smaller stack -almost 3 years old on my night stand.

Interesting. I boycott places that defy orders and refuse to take things seriously and put us all at risk. 😷 Healthcare personnel and first responders are risking their lives and nonsense stores want to stay open? I refuse to patronize places whose ethos is irresponsible or greedy.

How retailers conduct themselves throughout this will be noticed. how they respond, how they treat their personnel, how responsible they are. Are they donating? Are they helping? Or are they just worried about money rather than lives? Every person who thinks the rules don't apply to them is a part of the problem not the solution.

Yes it sucks to stay at home. It sucks to watch the news. It sucks to only go to the food stores whose doors are flanked by police. However this is the new normal for now. It may tone down in a few weeks but see a resurgence in fall. There are a lot of unknowns. But one thing is for sure, people are dying of this at alarming rates.

I'm dying to go to Hobby Lobby
Interesting. I boycott places that defy orders and refuse to take things seriously and put us all at risk. 😷 Healthcare personnel and first responders are risking their lives and nonsense stores want to stay open? I refuse to patronize places whose ethos is irresponsible or greedy.

I think this might be the shaming Sarah was concerned about.

I do agree with you in essence. The bike shop a couple of miles away stayed open for quite a while, trying to claim they were "essential". And LOTS of people were there, violating the whole idea of social distancing and seeming to not care why it's important. Fortunately our governor finally issued a hard order of closure (instead of asking like he did before). Businesses who refuse to comply will be cited.

Scientists and epidemiologists have a 'canary in the coalmine' so to speak because they can track who, what, where, etc in places hit first. Statistics about what measures were and were not taken and the correlation to case/deaths is easily tracked. This is why many places not yet hard hit can practice an ounce of prevention at this stage.

Fortunately our governor finally issued a hard order of closure (instead of asking like he did before). Businesses who refuse to comply will be cited.
Scientists and epidemiologists have a 'canary in the coalmine' so to speak because they can track who, what, where, etc in places hit first. Statistics about what measures were and were not taken and the correlation to case/deaths is easily tracked. This is why many places not yet hard hit can practice an ounce of prevention at this stage.

Yeah, why wait for thousands of people to get sick? My state is not as bad as others but why would we want to be?

I did notice this morning at the grocery store that there were not that many people there. I don't have a mask yet (they're not coming until the end of this month :icon_sad: ) but I did wear disposable gloves. About half the people in the store had masks. Interestingly, some of the people who wore masks were NOT wearing gloves. And the streets are emptier than they were a week ago, which is great!

I feel for the poor people in New York. They seem to have nowhere to hide.

About half the people in the store had masks. Interestingly, some of the people who wore masks were NOT wearing gloves.

Are disposable gloves readily available now? My understanding is that, with or without gloves, the idea is to make sure your hands are clean (frequent hand sanitizer when not at home, soap and water at home) and don't touch your face (with or without a mask on).

Archived