Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

Cheet, 

Do you think your fiance is aspirating at night? Untreated reflux or other factors can cause many to aspirate during the night. If I don't take my GERD med, it happens to me. It can cause a nasty pneumonia too. 

Sleeping with a wedge pillow/head elevated may help in the meantime. Hope she feels better pretty soon.

21 hours ago, Fudgie said:

Cheet, 

Do you think your fiance is aspirating at night? Untreated reflux or other factors can cause many to aspirate during the night. If I don't take my GERD med, it happens to me. It can cause a nasty pneumonia too. 

Sleeping with a wedge pillow/head elevated may help in the meantime. Hope she feels better pretty soon.

She is on...I can’t remember how to spell it, panta something prol? She does have DX’ed GERD.  Though after she got her gallbladder removed last year she stopped taking the pills for awhile because she had so much relief.  A couple months ago her burps started smelling like rotten eggs so she got back on the pills.  However, I don’t think she is taking the same dose she used to...I think it’s lower.  So totally possible she might be aspirating.  She’s got a follow up but we wanna make sure my COVID test is clear before she goes.  

it’s very likely she did some more damage by not taking those pills for about 5ish months.  And she does have legit horrible allergies.  I think there’s probably a few things at play here, for sure.  We were wondering if the GERD was bad enough it was causing some of these problems before.  

yep, we have wedge pillows!!  I bought her one last year after she came home from her surgery.  Then I bought a spare.  They definitely help.  I got sick the night she came home from the ER.  I’m waiting for my COVID results after taking a test today...JUST Incase...I treat everything like COVID until proven otherwise.  So I’ve been sleeping on the spare and I love it for post nasal drip problems.  

She’s doing way better with the breathing stuff, but do steroids really mess up tummy?  She’s got constant nausea.  She’s on prednisone and Flovent.  Her doctor also wanted her to set an alarm for 36 hours to take albuterol every 4 hours on the dot.  She’s done with that now and it’s back to as needed, but she said she feels like she’s seasick.  

Cheet, 

It sounds like she was/is on pantoprazole, which is a common, generic GERD medication, a proton pump inhibitor. I'm actually on the same one myself but I take it long term. I've been scoped somewhat recently - I have no damage or irritation seen during the exam and no symptoms - but it only stays that way if I take my meds.

Steroids can cause GI issues for some but nausea/indigestion can also be a sign of poorly managed GERD. It's a rather non-specific symptoms, sadly. Does she wake up with a bad or sour/bitter taste in her mouth sometimes? Sore throat in the morning that goes away is also a sign of nighttime GERD exacerbation because that acid that regurgitates up at night can really irritate the throat but then goes away once awake and you're not doing that. 

These are all really good questions to ask during her follow-up. Nightly aspiration is definitely a concern as well as esophageal damage. You are doing all the right things by being so diligient and careful. I am doing that as well - it's really important to do what you can to *safely* stay home and out of the hospital. Preventative care is key at this time, checking in with your doctor, not taking unncessary risks, etc. 

I hope she feels better really soon, and you too! And fingers crossed for no positives and speedy vaccinations (if you so wish to have them). 

Was given bad news today.

A couple family members have now tested positive. To be honest, I'm not surprised. Both of them are anti-maskers and both were adamant that this virus wasn't real and a way for the government to control us.

It's a very harsh way to find out that it is indeed real.

I am not going to freak out, but rather just sit and wait and see what happens. Despite these family members being frustrating to deal with during this pandemic, no one wants to bury anyone.

I really do hope that if anyone is not certain if the virus is real or that it's no big deal, I pray you won't find out the hard way.

This virus is more than real. There have been a few people from my city that were well known, in the way that most people recognized them being as my city isn't that big, and they have now passed from Covid.

The sad part is, one of the deaths wasn't necessary. This gentleman was one that thought masks were not necessary and didn't wear one. He wasn't old, in his 50's. He is now gone.

Please stop playing with fire, there is no need for anyone to lose their lives unnecessarily or to get others sick who might end up in a very bad way because of you.

Wear your mask, keep your distance from people, stay home as much as you can.

I am now on the wait and see train and hope that my family members will be okay. They already have health issues and although not old, they're not young either.

Sigh, am praying I don't have to go to anyone's funeral in the upcoming months. 😞

• Like 1

With how widespread the virus is now, I believe all of us will either get it or will know (and likely, love) someone who gets it.

This was avoidable, but people just will not stay home.

And again, I don't mean going out for food and supplies, to fuel up your car or to attend necessary appointments.  I mean traveling for leisure, going bowling, attending gatherings, going to sporting events, meeting up with friends or going to a theme park.  None of those things is "essential".

For months now I've been saying I don't know anyone personally, but know people who know people.

Not anymore.  Almost daily I get the news someone I know has it.   It doesn't happen to just everyone else.  It's creeping up on our doorsteps.

I am sorry Sherry.  I hope your family members are ok.  I have family members and friends with the same attitude. . beating that drum  "you can't take my rights away"  That's ok.  I just leave them be and keep my distance.

So sadly unnecessary. . . and it' because of that mentality that we are in this predicament to begin with.

• Like 1
On 1/1/2021 at 3:22 AM, Cheetarah said:

My fiancée is in the ER with suspected Covid-19(pending a PCR after antigen). I had to make her go.  She couldn’t even stand up without struggling to breathe.  O2 is 92%, bp way up, chest X-ray already done, bloods done...now she waits to see what’s next. She says it’s totally empty there.  On NYE.  So weird...

Shes high risk.  

I hope she is ok!!

So I messaged a friend who is constantly complaining how people unfriend her over political "disagreements".  But that's not it at all -putting aside her views -anti mask, the whole "if you're pro choice why would you be in favor of a mandatory vaccine" - she expresses them in an angry, overblown way that's intended to rile people up -completely obvious.  I've been trying hard to scroll past her offfensive fake news posts and I've succeeded -I post nothing in response -but I messaged her and shared with her that while of course she can post whatever she likes and I will scroll by, it's not just a political disagreement - that her posts remind me of the two latest deaths I now know of from covid -an old friend's older brother and an acquaintance's mother - that when she makes fun of people who -she says - "claims" to wear masks to be holier than thou etc  - it actually is offensive and hurtful.  Not just a disagreement.  

But she doesn't get it.  And her mother recently passed away but not from covid.  She and her husband had covid but mildish versions.  I'll keep scrolling but I needed the emotional support here.  

• Like 1

Sherry, I hope your family members recover fully.

Batya, I joined a Facebook group for Covid "long haulers" but I had to leave the group because all the posts were so depressing.  I feel for these people, I really do, but it wasn't helping my mental state to read so many sad posts.  And some people won't get it because they don't want to.  It's easier for them to pretend it's all a hoax or a conspiracy or the flu because that way they don't actually have to do anything.

• Like 1

Why not just remove her?

Recently I went on a huge “ disclaimer “ rant that because I post COVID numbers daily on my FB doesn’t mean I don’t care about collateral issues. I have anti maskers and conspiracy theorists on my page. They sometimes make comments on my numbers posts and I have mostly avoided entanglements. But I had finally had enough of the nuttery and basically let them have it. 

Basically the complaint people have in my group of FB ERS is that people who worry about COVID don’t care about mental health or business owners. 

I told them absolutely I care about mental health as someone with anxiety and other issues and I mentioned my son has had severe mental health difficulties but not what. But he has mentioned suicide THREE times and it breaks my heart and KILLS me and they don’t think I care about mental health??!! 

And I am a small business owner . I don’t care about business? Really???!

I say, if we can buckle down and get this pandemic under control we ALL can reopen our businesses and get back to work.  But if we don't buckle down it will be open/close/reopen/reclose over and over and over.  Which I believe is more damaging than simply closing for 6 weeks and having a strict safer at home order.

5 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I say, if we can buckle down and get this pandemic under control we ALL can reopen our businesses and get back to work.  But if we don't buckle down it will be open/close/reopen/reclose over and over and over.  Which I believe is more damaging than simply closing for 6 weeks and having a strict safer at home order.

Exactly. We are in our second lock down now. And I told these people the long this crap goes on the more collateral issues there will be. 

11 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Hey Cheet how is your financée? 

She’s okay...the breathing is better but honestly not where you think she’d be the way she was and continues to be pumped up with steroids.  There’s a loooot of stomach problems.  

Fudgie, yes that is the medicine.  Apparently she used to take 40mg a day because of erosion.  I asked and she said she had a scope a couple years before we met, and there was damage.  Now she takes 20.  

She’s pretty bad about remembering to take pills...thinks pill boxes are old lady stuff yet she bought me one. 😐. I love my pill box!  I can’t count how many times I couldn’t remember if I took something or not.  Once I accidentally took my beta blocker 3 times. I’ll say I was really freaking relaxed though.  

Batya, she is okay - she has allergy induced asthma and pneumonia. Her PCR COVID test came back negative.  

I am waiting for my results still...I started feeling crappy the night she came home from the ER.  I’m getting nervous because I can’t taste or smell anything.  Like I can tell something is sweet, bitter etc but I can’t make it out past that.  I’m hacking a lot.  It feels right now like a cold/sinus thing but I’m admittedly spooked by the cough and senses thing.

I’m using my fiancée’s(“A” - lol guys, I have to give her a different initial!!) pulse oximeter.  I know these At home things aren’t terribly accurate but I’m at least trying to find a baseline on THIS meter so I know if I’m dipping.  Seems like 97 is the base.  I don’t have any shortness of breath, but I do want to keep an eye on stuff Incase I do...I’ll know what’s not right(if I’m one of those happy hypoxia people).  

Oh and YES - we are getting vaccinated as soon as our group is eligible.  

I'll admit, I've had a few people unfriend me on FB for not believing as they did. 

Not the other way around.

I don't mind people having different opinions than me concerning Covid. (yes, even obnoxious ones). I scroll past too and pay attention to my own household. I won't tell people what to do or what not to do.

However, I have posted writes up on being responsible, being safe, consider everyone.

Not directed at anyone, mind you.

But apparently a few found that offensive, because they fully believe that the government has orchestrated all of this and we the sheep are following along?!?

It bothered a few of my "friends" so much so, that I found myself unfriended.

But that's okay.

Whatever helps them sleep better at night. If it makes them happier, I won't be upset over it.

Though I have heard many stories of so many people sick over this. Read heart breaking posts on people who didn't get to say goodbye to their loves ones, could only say a few last words over a cam call.

An RN friend of mine who reports that there are far too many who are literally dying alone from Covid, as no one is meant to go into the room with them while they are dying. 

Yes, sometime the nurses do, but even then, the last view the patients see is someone so dressed up in PPE that you can barely tell it's a human.

I can't even fathom how some people don't believe what's going on, or how they refuse to see how bad it can be or don't want to consider anyone else apart from themselves.

It's shocking, disappointing, appalling, inhumane.

26 minutes ago, SherrySher said:

I'll admit, I've had a few people unfriend me on FB for not believing as they did. 

Not the other way around.

I don't mind people having different opinions than me concerning Covid. (yes, even obnoxious ones). I scroll past too and pay attention to my own household. I won't tell people what to do or what not to do.

However, I have posted writes up on being responsible, being safe, consider everyone.

Not directed at anyone, mind you.

But apparently a few found that offensive, because they fully believe that the government has orchestrated all of this and we the sheep are following along?!?

It bothered a few of my "friends" so much so, that I found myself unfriended.

But that's okay.

Whatever helps them sleep better at night. If it makes them happier, I won't be upset over it.

Same with some of my friends, my brother and his family.

The drum they were originally beating is the virus was bogus and would magically disappear after the election.  

Well, that didn't happen but none of us are pointing out that priceless piece of information. At least noone I know.

It's interesting to see who hollers the loudest.  If you believe in your conviction then you wouldn't need to defend it. . so loudly, repeatedly and obnoxiously

• Like 2