Reducing Negative Stimuli

E044l617

As someone who has battled with anxiety and depression for a few years, I have come to find that one of the most effective management tactics I can take on is trigger reduction. However while cutting down on drugs, and alcohol and establishing healthy sleeping and exercise schedules has been easy, one trigger I’m having trouble managing is other anxious/depressed people in my life that call on me for validation of their unhealthy coping methods. So my question is: how can I keep these people in my life without drowning myself in the process?

Get an evaluation from a doctor MD and referral to a therapist. Get clean and sober. Join some support groups. As long as you stay depressed, anxious and do drug and drink, that is the peer group you'll find yourself with.

Get out more. Take some classes and courses, improve your health and fitness level. Join some clubs and groups and volunteer. Interact more with healthier people and make healthier friends.

Do not play therapist to anyone. Suggest they get help if they are drowning in anxiety depression or substance abuse and do not associate with them.

As someone who has battled with anxiety and depression for a few years, I have come to find that one of the most effective management tactics I can take on is trigger reduction. However while cutting down on drugs, and alcoholI’m having trouble managing is other anxious/depressed people in my life that call on me for validation of their unhealthy coping methods.

Why do you want to keep people in your life that drag you down?

When you are having issues, you'll attract others to you with the same/similar issues. When you decide to heal and fix yourself, you need to find new people who are more like the new you. People who will eat well, exercise with you, who are more energetic and uplifting, who aren't into drugs or drinking and so on.

If you absolutely must keep them, then learn to develop healthy boundaries with them. In other words, when they start to drag you down because they want to complain, etc, etc, etc. you will listen briefly but then change the conversation or end the conversation completely. It's a difficult dynamic at the best of times and still means that ultimately you'll need to branch out and seek out new friendships that are more aligned with the healthier you.

As someone who has battled with anxiety and depression for a few years, I have come to find that one of the most effective management tactics I can take on is trigger reduction. However while cutting down on drugs, and alcohol and establishing healthy sleeping and exercise schedules has been easy, one trigger I’m having trouble managing is other anxious/depressed people in my life that call on me for validation of their unhealthy coping methods. So my question is: how can I keep these people in my life without drowning myself in the process?

Do you mean they talk about how drunk or high they got?

I’m having trouble managing is other anxious/depressed people in my life that call on me for validation of their unhealthy coping methods. So my question is: how can I keep these people in my life without drowning myself in the process?

I will assume these people have some positive characteristics or you wouldn't be friends with them?

I have some friends who trigger me as well. I just cut short my visits or phone conversations when I feel like they are bringing me down. I can offer support and listen to a degree, but when I feel like they are effecting my overall mood/health, I just cut the time short.

If it's their overall lifestyle and they don't bring anything positive to the relationship, then it might be time to consider the friendships all together.

Reducing Negative Stimuli

This equates to reducing your exposure to negative people. You can be kind about it, but be too busy to see them. Avoid places where people typically drown their sorrows, because that equates to drowning your SELF and pointing to others as the cause for that.

Head high, take recovery seriously, and make smart decisions.

Archived