Open Club  ·  95 members  ·  Free

Journals

Gestational diabetes

ButterflyWrists

Getting a little anxious about what Christmas will be like at this rate.. UK cases have tipped the 4000 a day mark. UK won't close down again, but will likely put a ban on households mixing. I know baby won't remember her first Christmas, but as a whole family I wasn't u's too enjoy it and make memories we can share with her.. life is so crazily different and I feel a little lost..

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmm, things aren't great atm, had been doing better for a while, but now I'm having nightmares of something bad happening to baby, so I'm having to disturb her to check she's breathing and ok.. she's going through a stage of nightmares and either needs to hold my hand, have my hand resting on her chest, or (her preference) sleep in my chest.. I'm exhausted as I was pretty much awake from 330am cause every time I stopped touching her shed wake up :(

Hmm, things aren't great atm, had been doing better for a while, but now I'm having nightmares of something bad happening to baby, so I'm having to disturb her to check she's breathing and ok.. she's going through a stage of nightmares and either needs to hold my hand, have my hand resting on her chest, or (her preference) sleep in my chest.. I'm exhausted as I was pretty much awake from 330am cause every time I stopped touching her shed wake up :(

I understand the need to soothe yourself but just keep telling yourself -in a positive way -that what's best for baby is to let her sleep. Do you have a good baby monitor? Is she in a safe sleeping space? She doesn't need to hold your hand or sleep with you - those are habits which if you choose you can do some sleep training - some parents choose to co sleep or do what you are doing - it's a choice, a commitment to being there physically for her but as you know you don't do well with sleep deprivation. And it's better to feel alert and functioning when you're taking care of her, right? You don't have to react to your nightmares by waking her up. You can make a different choice for her best interests. I completely relate to the temptation to keep checking.

I understand the need to soothe yourself but just keep telling yourself -in a positive way -that what's best for baby is to let her sleep. Do you have a good baby monitor? Is she in a safe sleeping space? She doesn't need to hold your hand or sleep with you - those are habits which if you choose you can do some sleep training - some parents choose to co sleep or do what you are doing - it's a choice, a commitment to being there physically for her but as you know you don't do well with sleep deprivation. And it's better to feel alert and functioning when you're taking care of her, right? You don't have to react to your nightmares by waking her up. You can make a different choice for her best interests. I completely relate to the temptation to keep checking.

She sleeps in her own cot attached to bed righty next to ne, easier for night feedings. She actually does ok getting off to sleep and there's no current need for sleep training depending how long this phase goes on. I mostly try to rationalise my nightmares, harder when I'm in sleep paralysis though. We did slightly better last night and she seemed slightly more settled although she had to have daddy cuddles to sleep after feed so I could get to sleep and she wasn't ready to settle in cot. She wasn't as unsettled through the night.

I meant training her away from the need to have you physically touching her when she wakes up, sorry ! I didn't really mean to rationalize the nightmares just make sure you choose to react to them in a way that does not disturb your baby's sleep. I know it's hard and I know you want what is best for your child! Glad last night was better!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time with nightmares. All baseless but awful and it's impacting my parenting and relationship.

Massive change potentially coming up in the new year (buying our first home!) Means I'll have to look for a jew job, which with covid isn't going to be easy, there ate plenty of people who can work better hours than I can. We can survive on just fiance wages, but i don't want to be reliant on him. We will see how it all goes.

Squish is going through something arm, wanting to sleep lots, not ready for solids, emotionally anyway physically has hit all the signs of readiness.. she's got even bigger, she's slimming out a little and gaining length, frustrating as it's her body, too long for 9-12 month clothes, bit her arms and legs barely surpass half way 🤣 I'm so proud of her, she's doing so well each day it's life she learns something new. I live watching her grow and teaching her new skills.

I'm so sorry about the nightmares. I relate, as I had horrible nightmares for a long time. Luckily I'm at a point where it's infrequent, usually triggered by lack of sleep, stress, or hormones. I have noticed they happen more during menstruation, have you ever noticed this?

I hope you can get some good sleep soon.

• 4 weeks later...
PTSD and depression are awful right now. Baby decided to gum down on my nipples multiple times yesterday. I'm now in spare room fiance is attempting to bottle feed her, from what I gather she's refused 2 feeds :( I feel awful, but I just cannot cope tonight.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well -have you seen your doctor? Mine was bottle fed/loved his bottle but wouldn't drink milk from a sippy cup till way after two years old! Kids are like that -especially babies. I hope it all works out.

PTSD and depression are awful right now. Baby decided to gum down on my nipples multiple times yesterday. I'm now in spare room fiance is attempting to bottle feed her, from what I gather she's refused 2 feeds :( I feel awful, but I just cannot cope tonight.

I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. Is this your first baby?

Our first was SO HARD. I was amazed how hard he was, especially when we had other babies and could compare the experience. Some babies are just really difficult or want more attention or cry more... it's very interesting to me how babies can be so different.

I had major postpartum depression with our first, not completely because he was so hard, my husband's extended family attacked us right after the birth with an onslaught of hostile texts for hours one day, angry my husband had politely asked his parents to stay in a hotel instead of in our very small and cramped apartment (they had stayed with us every weekend for 2 months at that point and I couldn't handle the lack of privacy anymore).

Anyway, their attack mostly is what I think caused my depression, but it didn't help that the baby was so difficult on top of everything.

I feel for you! Do you think you have postpartum depression?

Archived