Open Club  ·  95 members  ·  Free

Journals

Gestational diabetes

ButterflyWrists

Many thanks to you for being so patient with me and tolerant about my judgments. I’m sorry. And thanks for accepting my apology. I get it for what it’s worth in the sense that parenthood feelings are notoriously complicated even baffling at times.

Fast can be daunting. Many years ago a family friend had her third child. He was a gorgeous infant. My mother and I went to visit when he was 4 months old. A couple of months later they learned he had a rare genetic disorder which basically meant he had half a brain just to be blunt. He needed 24/7 care and feeding tubes etc. my mother later told me that when she saw him as a four month old she knew something was very wrong because he didn’t seem to make eye contact - he had these huge gorgeous brown eyes.

He died in his early 20s living much longer than was thought he would. His mother had one more child. She told me honestly she loved him so much and didn’t see him as a full blown child of hers. She was a wonderful mom to her kids. She was being very open and real with me. She died of cancer when her kids were teenagers /early 20s about 13 years ago. Her son died a year or so later. I can see where people would view her comment as awful for a mom to say. And I got it and her. She had three boys who grew like weeds - and one who never spoke intelligibly, never walked and never ate on his own. With such a beautiful face. She did everything for him and cared so much for him while admitting she didn’t feel like a real mother to him.

This lockdown is making me emotional. Thanks for indulging me. I hope you’re having a great day.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect your views and the vast majority of your advice. One thing where we struggle to set the other's perspective doesn't change that. Especially when I'm not actually able to pin point or explain myself clearly.

That's a sad story, but I fully understand it. I work with families who have children with a vast array of conditions and life expectancies - one told me she somewhat detached from her daughter as if she looked at her daughter through mum eyes she'd be totally torn up, she needed to be practical whilst giving her the best life she could..

Lockdown is making everyone tetchy and stressed. We're in a heat wave here, 32c currently, very humid and sticky.. not fun when breastfeeding..

How on earth do you cut an infant's nails??

With baby nail clippers and very, very gently. Cut off only the very tip of the fingernail and sharper bits. So as little as possible but enough so the baby hopefully won't scratch itself.

But it's not easy. You don't want to cut off too much but it's hard when cutting off very little as it might not help, which is why baby mittens come in handy.

Don't feel bad it can be really nerve racking. I was nervous to do it too, but if you go really slow and gentle and have patience with it, you'll get better with it.

With baby nail clippers and very, very gently. Cut off only the very tip of the fingernail and sharper bits. So as little as possible but enough so the baby hopefully won't scratch itself.

But it's not easy. You don't want to cut off too much but it's hard when cutting off very little as it might not help, which is why baby mittens come in handy.

Don't feel bad it can be really nerve racking. I was nervous to do it too, but if you go really slow and gentle and have patience with it, you'll get better with it.

That was the first time I made him bleed a little and of course I called the nurse/doc lol -they get calls like that all the time. I agree with this method!

She's such a light sleeper most of the time..

Ugh I'm gonna be shattered today, 11pm Aleppo 4am awake, already done 2 loads washing up, 1 load tumble dryer. But I can't shut down. I hope baby has an easy day today so we can just cuddle, sing and nap..

I need to get some sensory lights for her, she loves watching her daddy's phone, so I put sensory things on YouTube, butty I don't like using TV or phones to do it..

Fiance is due to be working in office full time from August we think. I'm gonna miss him, butty baby should be in more of a routine by then she'll be 3.5 months roughly. That's one amazing thing about lock down having that company for the early days. He's been able to watch her grow, set her first smiles and giggles.

She seems to like a routine for 8pm bed, 2am,4am wake ups and then on and off until 8ish.. fluence finishes work at 6.30 and if I need to sleep with baby it means we don't see each other much, even less when he's back in office, especially if he cycles which is his plan.. but, baby needs come first, we'll adapt.

I used cloth with my kids for their first year. They never got diaper rash while wearing cloth. I used plastic pants over the cloth diapers, although they also have those nifty cloth covers that fasten with Velcro. I don't know why I didn't use those, but I didn't.

It takes some practice to use the pins to fasten the diapers so there are no leaks. We got the hang of it after a bit.

I'm using pocket ones, so put boosters into the nappy cover. So far seems so good. They're rather bulky, but I don't mind that too much..

Very unsettled baby this afternoon, threw up everywhere earlier, now doesn't want boob or cuddles or a nappy change. Crying and very unhappy. I've got white noise on send generally trying to distract her.. I think she might have tiny ache, but not much I can do right now poor baby..

Poor little one. Hugs. I remember last year one of my little daycare kiddos had cloth diapers but I had five kids in diapers at the time. I was changing him every hour because he would be right through. His parents really really really hydrate him. I started buying disposables for him because I just couldn’t hack it. Now he’s my only little one still in diapers. He just turned 3 two days ago and is training. But even in the space of an hour he peed through a whole disposable diaper because of all the water for the heat.

Poor little one. Hugs. I remember last year one of my little daycare kiddos had cloth diapers but I had five kids in diapers at the time. I was changing him every hour because he would be right through. His parents really really really hydrate him. I started buying disposables for him because I just couldn’t hack it. Now he’s my only little one still in diapers. He just turned 3 two days ago and is training. But even in the space of an hour he peed through a whole disposable diaper because of all the water for the heat.

On my cloth nappy group many mums send their kids in all in ones as it's easier for nursery staff, they don't add the additional boosters to help with absorbing.. if my little one goes to nursery she'll go with disposables for ease..

I'm mostly eating ok, had a terrible day for eating yesterday, binged massively. Keeping fluids up ok. Baby sleeping in good chunks. Although currently waking up 3x rather than twice, but still a good 4hr start off. I'm having nightmares constantly.

Binging can lead to nightmares/disrupted sleep because your body is working hard to digest all the food - I think your sleep will improve if you have more of an empty stomach before bed. Good luck!!

Binging can lead to nightmares/disrupted sleep because your body is working hard to digest all the food - I think your sleep will improve if you have more of an empty stomach before bed. Good luck!!

I ate better yesterday and no nightmares, not much sleep either though, 1.30 until 4am wide awake, then little bits inbetween baby wake until 6.30.. gonna be a long day. She's sleeping soundly again but its way too light for me.

I've been awake since 5ish, took over an hour to get baby back to sleep after her feeding and fussing for an hour. She was sound asleep 20 min before I decided I might as well get some chores done. She woke her daddy up 10 min after I left and wouldn't settle, he tried for 30 min bless him. She's got a leap coming up and I'm pretty sure she's going through another growth spurt.. she's coming up to 12 weeks. Where has the time gone??

Archived