Open Club  ·  95 members  ·  Free

Journals

Gestational diabetes

ButterflyWrists

Ugh. This is fun. Joys of being pregnant aye, random bleeding (cervical ectropion, hidden polyp) general sucky health with my ears... now gd...

Although I'm convinced the result was down to dehydration (resting heart rate was 150, came down to 130s with a pint of water) but at the same time, the reading was quite high... anyway, always a good idea to get back into healthy eating habits before having the baby...

I have a few concerns, mainly birthing, as chances are I'll have to have baby around 38 weeks via induction or c section... ptsd is pushing merr more towards c section, but already having had upwards of 10 operations, I'd rather a natural birth. Ugh. So much going round in my mind. Feeling rather overwhelmed currently..

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed! I have a few friends who've done fine with GD during pregnancy. Everything will be all right. I know you're happy about being pregnant, about the opportunity to be a mother, so hopefully these struggles will be balanced by those thoughts. Hang in there!

Thank you batya, yes focusing on my baby is what's making all this worth it, it just feels like every turn there's something else top challenge me. It takes its toll.

Seraphim,

I'd much rather a natural birth, but I don't think I can cope with an induction, too much fiddling around down there and the last two appointments I had internal examinations I've had to use Benzos to be calm enough to cope, it triggers the ptsd so badly and I don't want to be going through that just as I'm about to meet my baby. I have no idea what to do 🙁

I had a near emergency c after laboring with an epidural that I requested as soon as I got to the hospital. Yes, pregnancy has its downsides and some are kinda gross. So does caring for a newborn and even an almost 11 year old child. It's probably going to be that way long term. I work on coping strategies regularly. I wish you the best!!

I can cope with surgery, but it isn't something I take lightly. I can't cope with people examining down there and doing things that are either painful or uncomfortable :( it's hard. But I'll discuss with my professionals closer to the time. If I still have a fast heart rate they may decide induction isn't the way to go due to the strain (150 is great for exercise but not for resting) I really hope I go naturally! Too much anxiety and information to take in today, just gotta take it one step at a time..

I can cope with surgery, but it isn't something I take lightly. I can't cope with people examining down there and doing things that are either painful or uncomfortable :( it's hard. But I'll discuss with my professionals closer to the time. If I still have a fast heart rate they may decide induction isn't the way to go due to the strain (150 is great for exercise but not for resting) I really hope I go naturally! Too much anxiety and information to take in today, just gotta take it one step at a time..

Yes one step at a time. Also I'd research and think of ways to handle/cope with internal examinations (will also help when your child needs exams - he or she will take the lead from your reactions - not just internal exams).

A little up and down in my results the last two days. Probably due to my choc biscuits, fiance has finished them off now. Fasting levels are all very good though. Struggling a little with mental health and self blame around the diagnosis. Midwife later today, whooping cough vaccine day. I hate vaccines, but gotta protect the little one where I can.

Two different readings after breakfast this morning, one which puts me over and one that keeps me under, same time ok a min difference. That now has me wondering if some of my other readings have been out? Is a brand new machine. Ugh

Also not feeling well today, need a bath and wash my hair so I can go for a meal tonight with my love. Feeling kind of deflated with today's numbers.

Being a newly diagnosed T2 diabetic ( OCT) I would say most of your meals should be comprised of green veggies etc. Now course you were going to need more carbs than I do because you’re growing a baby. I would eat as healthy as possible and as I’m sure you are.

Yeah, we need carbs so we don't get pre eclampsia/ketones in urine etc. I'm not eating a huge amount of carbs, and have swapped to slower release carbs. Being a vegetarian I eat lots of veg anyway broccoli is my fave yummy. Just don't understand why I'm getting different results from one finger to the next, hands were washed prior etc.

So, the diabetic nurses said there's nothing wrong with my machine, the tests are only an estimate of my blood glucose levels and to just ignore the readings, but record them for their use, to decide whether to medicate me. I'm not particularly happy, but what can you do?

I've found though, that if I have a high protein yogurt and one slice of seeded brown toast for breakfast, my levels are nice and low. Now to work out pairings for lunch and dinners. Gonna try veggies in cheese sauce soon I think. Struggling to exercise with such a high heart rate, but it's supposed to help with burning the carbs, need to get answers for that asap. Although I did go swimming last night, I really need my float though, as paranoia about water getting to my ears, despite ear plugs and a swim band holding them in, means I'm very slow and panic easily. Plus it'll help keep my heart rate lower.

Almonds help a lot with diabetes and keep me from eating carbs.

I can't stand almonds 😣

But trying with cashews and peanuts. I've done much better with numbers today, trying to very up and do cleaning right after eating sucks, but I have to test an hour after eating. And my breakfast pairing was much better for my numbers. If it stops raining later, I'll try and go for a walk around town after dinner.

Luckily they work with the gd diet then, as we have to have carbs, but a high amount of fat and protein to help balance it out. It's tough trying to find the right combo of foods. And being vegetarian makes it all the harder ah well x

It would for sure. I am an omnivore so it is easier for me to get higher fats and protein.

Archived