Some of my blood results

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you insert the units after the original numbers you posted? They're nearly useless if the units aren't there; it's a guess on the precise units at that point. American versus Canadian results make no difference. Canadians tend to use the metric system while Americans opt to use their own units of measurement, but when it comes to healthcare they often report results such as this in metric units.

I know my own country uses the metric system. I was in grade 4 when the measurement was first being taught . ;)

I know my own country uses the metric system. I was in grade 4 when the measurement was first being taught . ;)

Of course. My point is "American" versus "Canadian" values don't matter when referencing units of measurement. Metric units are a unit of measurement. Americans use the metric system often in healthcare. It is the specific units that matter. For example, microliters (uL) are much different (as in smaller units) than milliliters (mL) but are still units of measurement for volume, often reported out by American and Canadian healthcare laboratories. The difference is, the numerical value will be very different in a report, depending on which unit is used.

Of course. My point is "American" versus "Canadian" values don't matter when referencing units of measurement. Metric units are a unit of measurement. Americans use the metric system often in healthcare. It is the specific units that matter. For example, microliters (uL) are much different (as in smaller units) than milliliters (mL) but are still units of measurement for volume, often reported out by American and Canadian healthcare laboratories. The difference is, the numerical value will be very different in a report, depending on which unit is used.

That was my point in the beginning.

My only highlighted high value is my AIC which is coming down so I am excited. And my cholesterol is no longer in the at risk category.

That was my point in the beginning.

My only highlighted high value is my AIC which is coming down so I am excited. And my cholesterol is no longer in the at risk category.

I don't believe we are referencing the same point. You said:

A lot of sites show in American values which is not the same measurement in Canada.

I am not sure what sites you're referencing, but I am American and have reported our patient laboratory results in metric units (I work at a lab), as well as received my own results in metric units, which Canada also uses. When it comes down to lab results, Americans and Canadians both use the metric system since we are dealing with very small units, which the American units cannot account for. Hence, Americans would not use our own units for this purpose in the first place and I highly doubt the sites you found are in American units, but are in metric units and just in a different decimal unit prefix, such as "milli-" versus "micro-". There is also more than one metric unit to report the same result, in some cases. I have not yet reported anything in ounces or gallons (or other US unit) in regards to the portion of the result for volume, so I would use liters. Just as an example. Besides, the American units of measurement are far too big to report the typically small values for most lab tests anyway.

Otherwise, I am glad your results are improving and you aren't as worried anymore. If you do not care about where your other results fall anymore, after discovering the highlighted indicator for outstanding results, then enjoy the improvement on your health! In the future, usually you can convert any unit of measurement to whatever range you find on the internet if you don't want to wait for a doctor and have your results, along with the units, handy. Good luck!

I don't believe we are referencing the same point. You said:

I am not sure what sites you're referencing, but I am American and have reported our patient laboratory results in metric units (I work at a lab), as well as received my own results in metric units, which Canada also uses. When it comes down to lab results, Americans and Canadians both use the metric system since we are dealing with very small units, which the American units cannot account for. Hence, Americans would not use our own units for this purpose in the first place and I highly doubt the sites you found are in American units, but are in metric units and just in a different decimal unit prefix, such as "milli-" versus "micro-". There is also more than one metric unit to report the same result, in some cases. I have not yet reported anything in ounces or gallons (or other US unit) in regards to the portion of the result for volume, so I would use liters. Just as an example. Besides, the American units of measurement are far too big to report the typically small values for most lab tests anyway.

Otherwise, I am glad your results are improving and you aren't as worried anymore. If you do not care about where your other results fall anymore, after discovering the highlighted indicator for outstanding results, then enjoy the improvement on your health! In the future, usually you can convert any unit of measurement to whatever range you find on the internet if you don't want to wait for a doctor and have your results, along with the units, handy. Good luck!

If photobucket wasn’t so stupid to be down for four weeks I could show you pictures but as it stands I can’t. But looking everything was measured in mmol/L.

If photobucket wasn’t so stupid to be down for four weeks I could show you pictures but as it stands I can’t. But looking everything was measured in mmol/L.

Alright, that helps, except for the last two values because there's no way those last two units are in mmol/L:

I have no idea if they are good, bad etc . I see my dr on the 22nd. Any help would be appreciated.

Some of my blood results are in.

Triglycerides 1.19

Cholesterol 4.53

HDL 1.18

Sodium 141

Potassium 4.6

Creatinine 66

eGFR 92

In order, your results are:

-Good

-Good (I assume this is referencing total cholesterol)

-Low (HDL or "good cholesterol" should on average be above 1.3 mmol/L for women)

-Good

-Good

-Not Available (however, it is good if the units are in umol/L)

-Not Available (also good if the units are in mL/min/1.73m2)

You can improve your HDL by eating more healthy fats (such as avocados or almonds), exercising, and avoiding hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils in food. Not to worry too much though. Your doctor may not even say anything about this, since your total cholesterol is in a good range still.

Alright, that helps, except for the last two values because there's no way those last two units are in mmol/L:

In order, your results are:

-Good

-Good (I assume this is referencing total cholesterol)

-Low ("good cholesterol" should on average be above 1.3 mmol/L for women)

-Good

-Good

-Not Available (however, it is good if the units are in umol/L)

-Not Available (also good if the units are in mL/min/1.73m2)

You can improve your HDL by eating more healthy fats (such as avocados or almonds), exercising, and avoiding hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils in food. Not to worry too much though. Your doctor may not even say anything about this, since your total cholesterol is in a good range still.

I eat almonds daily.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived