Vertical Blinds and my kitten

inthewind

My kitten is generally well behaved. We have vertical blinds and of course cat nature is to look out the window but I am worried that she is going to mess up these blinds. The problem is we have to keep our blinds closed cause we don't want to deal with an obnoxious nosy neighbor peering in. I am wondering how do I keep my kitten from messing up the blinds and potentially ruining them. I know I'm working against cat nature to look out the window, but any tips would be helpful.

Thanks ❤️

There are those window adhesives that look like stained glass - if your blinds are always closed and you never open them. What about putting that on the window and remove the blinds? That way filtered light can come in - no nosy neighbors and no ruined blinds - or the blinds can be all the way up?

There are those window adhesives that look like stained glass - if your blinds are always closed and you never open them. What about putting that on the window and remove the blinds? That way filtered light can come in - no nosy neighbors and no ruined blinds - or the blinds can be all the way up?

Vertical blinds go up and down. They cannot go up. That said, I do like your idea of the window adhesives.

Use a spray bottle when the kitten tries to claw the blinds.

Yes, a spray bottle in a good idea. Or, perhaps you might consider canned air. When my kittens were very young, I used air (not directly aimed at them, just near them). Nowadays, all I have to do is hold up the can and they run - LOL!

I don't get it. Why are you worried about the kitten ruining them? They're vertical blinds, probably the most difficult for them to mess up. They can't exactly climb them. Or just buy some cheap ones to put up temporarily until she grows out of her curiosity a bit. But honestly, I'd just let the kitten poke its head between them. My hunch is that you're renting and not allowed to have one?

In any case, puppy owners have to deal with teaching it to poop and pee outside. Kitten owners have to learn how to channel their fun and curiosity. I wouldn't get punitive with spray bottles just for harmlessly entertaining herself, especially given she'll largely grow out of her energy and spontaneity. For now, figure out what kind of toys are her favorite. For example, I've got aluminum foil balls and straws pretty much on demand for little Dave.

By vertical blinds you mean the ones that "swivel" open and closed? I've had a cat since he was a kitten and he just slinks between the panels, whether they're open or shut. The only time I've had to replace the blinds in 5 years is when an enemy cat jumped at the window from outside and he freaked out, so you might have nothing to worry about.

It's a bit late to say it, but if you're concerned about keeping soft furnishings pristine then a kitten is not a good idea! Mine didn't ruin the blinds, but he's been sick on the carpet plenty of times and put muddy prints over the sofa instead! It's a small price to pay for the happiness he brings me.

Vertical blinds go up and down. They cannot go up. That said, I do like your idea of the window adhesives.

I don't understand this. You can pull down the blinds to knee height or so to accommodate the cat, but I don't get why you believe that you can't ever pull them up if you want to? Or tilt them?

If the cat starts to destroy the blinds, there are window films where you can see out but nobody can see in. You could also buy a cat tree to push up again the window, keeping the blinds open, but it will be hard for anyone to look in with the cat tree there, and the cat can still enjoy the outdoor view.

Have lots of things for the cat to climb on, cat trees with scratching posts, shelves you can install for the cat to climb up. A cat who can't feel like he's back in the jungle will start to exhibit behavioral problems. They are intelligent and need that extra stimulus to be happy, along with one or two play sessions with you per day.

I don't understand this. You can pull down the blinds to knee height or so to accommodate the cat, but I don't get why you believe that you can't ever pull them up if you want to? Or tilt them?

Vertical are the ones that are or on a sliding door wall. you can't raise them to knee length, but you can open them to the left or right

You know, what I wrote doesn't even makes sense - LOL! And, I wasn't even drinking! What I meant was that, because of how they're designed, one can only push them to the side. Sounds better? LOL

My dog loves the whole window thing too. I have had neighbors tell me how loyal he is by waiting for me at the window when I come home - which could be true but the window is like one of his favorite five places to sleep and hang out. I live in an apartment so I am not sure if my experience will help.

At first I just tidy up my room before I left the house so if anyone saw my dog at the window, they would see a small and tidy room. That's all.

But a year later when we got a TV in the room we decided we didn't want people seeing the big smart TV so we put up some nice heavy curtains behind the blinds. We rent too and we are not supposed to put up curtains but there's a way you can cover the drill holes when you move out. Google it. So now we cover the window when we leave and he knows there's an open in the middle for him to push his head through the curtains to look outside. It's silly and I have seen people while walking by my window laughing and smiling when they see his head thru the heavy curtains. Not sure if you can train a kitten not to pull curtains but if you really don't want your cat to mess up your blinds and really don't want to open up your blinds, maybe try curtains.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived