The most unprofessional thing I have done

viv19

Sure- the wife shouldn't have gossiped. Of course not. Nothing to do with the OP deciding to share it on social media in the way she did -a bride's group! Taking the post down does some damage control but not nearly enough. I agree with Wiseman and the others. We can agree to disagree.

I’m ok if you disagree with me. But who cares where she shared it! It was third hand gossip. And she only heard that gossip because a bridal planner shared clients details.

It doesn't matter what you can/can't do legally technically online. What matters is being sensitive to their upset and most of all keeping your job. It's not "illegal" or intentional to step on someone's foot but normal people apologize for that. Too many people these days lack basic manners and doubling down on this is not a good idea.[/

You are absolutely correct and clearly understand what I mentioned about legal confidentiality.

In this case she wasn’t bound to any legality.

But this bit I don’t understand “most of all keeping your job” She can’t get fired for what she did. She is not bound legally to not relate a story she heard from someone at work who heard from someone else that is not work related.

My points being to help the op to relax , she has done nothing wrong wrt to her work , her boss likely feels so much worse and perhaps a little lesson about being sensitive to gossip she heard and the people involved.

It depends what her employment situation is - where I live it's "at will" so you can get fired for any reason at all other than based on your race, etc (not sure of the legal exceptions) -so where I have worked if someone did this kind of indiscretion yes the person could be let go because then the boss could feel that he couldn't trust the person to be appropriate on social media in other ways that could reflect negatively on his/her business for example or discreet in general. And that boss would be perfectly entitled to do so. Also she'd like a good reference when she moves on, and it's a small world as far as running into a potential employer who knows the wife and then the former one won't give her a decent reference. All sorts of repercussions -nothing to do with "legal". If she has an employment contract then possibly it's a different situation.

I do think she did something wrong at work -she described them all as a family -another layer above just being coworkers so she personally betrayed her boss's wife -and she's supposed to be really close with her boss and coworkers -her technical work skills might be awesome but this is the kind of thing that can override it. I think she feels badly and I don't think she'll make this mistake again and hopefully he can see past this.

Archived