Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

Flu Shot or Not?

Yes, Lester. I see that. Those are American stats? Yes?

I was quoting stats over here.

"Uptake of the flu vaccine among healthcare staff has improved. Last winter, 45 per cent of hospital staff and a third of those in nursing homes got the jab. This winter, the target is 60 per cent."

Certainly the HSE campaigns to urge hospital/medical staff to take the flu vaccination.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here in the good 'ol USA, we have polarized groups of people who are nasty toward each other based on vaccines vs. no vaccines!

We can do this with any topic one can imagine! :stung:

I am actually pro-vaccine except HPV - i will fight for nieces/future daughter to not be forced to get that one, and i think flu is a choice that there is no right or wrong.

i am VERY pro the old standbys - polio, rubella, purtussis so on and so forth. oh yes, and i HIGHLY stand by tetanus shots for those at risk (horse lovers, people who work with outdoor equipment, people who like to hike barefoot, etc.) at least once a decade.

Often, they announce the vaccine doesn't cover the flu they thought we would get this year, there is a difference between getting it nasally and the injection, and to me, if you have a weak immune system but are lower risk because you don't intereact with kids, the elderly and work from home, then i can see being carefully about getting it. I don't fault anyone for deciding to get it or not -- for me, i choose not to.

I don't feel the need to label myself pro or anti vaccine although it sure is a popular label in certain of my facebook groups. In certain cases I would choose not to let my child be around unvaccinated people depending on the type of vaccine, environment, etc. Certain years when the flu was really bad I was cautious about that. And there was an epidemic when he was born and he couldn't get the new strain flu vaccine till he was 8 months old -and I had to beg for that, too. So I was very much Mama Bear.

Yes, Lester. I see that. Those are American stats? Yes? I was quoting stats over here.

Oops, sorry about that.

-----

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

That's what the flu is like. Once you get, everything you thought you knew about the flu goes in the trash can.

abit,

Just curious, can you tell me what you don't like about the HPV? Not arguing, just curious. Are you concerned about reactions to it? Or something else?

Yes.

There are people calling for it to be mandatory and the age of that mandatory creeps younger and that's scary to me.

The thinking is parents don't know their daughters and they are ALL sexually active 10 year olds - when most parents DO know their kids. I can't say that for 17 year olds, but its reasonable to believe that parents know a lot about the life about their 8-12 year old.

Not every woman has high risk.

It does not protect women who get cervical cancer besides this ONE way MAYBE .

not enough is known about the long term effects.

If a grown woman decides to get it, that's her choice, but leave kids out of it completely.

There are cases where the drug company has settled with families where their daughter died unexpectedly and unexplainably not long after being vaccinated.

They don't settle unless they are afraid to go to court. I have followed one in particular.

Yes.

There are people calling for it to be mandatory and the age of that mandatory creeps younger and that's scary to me.

The thinking is parents don't know their daughters and they are ALL sexually active 10 year olds - when most parents DO know their kids. I can't say that for 17 year olds, but its reasonable to believe that parents know a lot about the life about their 8-12 year old.

Not every woman has high risk.

It does not protect women who get cervical cancer besides this ONE way MAYBE .

not enough is known about the long term effects.

If a grown woman decides to get it, that's her choice, but leave kids out of it completely.

There are cases where the drug company has settled with families where their daughter died unexpectedly and unexplainably not long after being vaccinated.

They don't settle unless they are afraid to go to court. I have followed one in particular.

Just as an aside- it wasn't yet available when I was "of age" so I didn't get it -my friend in her 30s did -if this is that gardasil thing? And I have a son. INteresting!

As another aside- I got the new Shingles vaccination - two doses -highly recommend if you're (you -general you) are 50 or over. But ..... man the side effects were awful for me- much worse than flu -but thankfully short lived.

I get the shot every year. I'm also interpret for deaf students at universities, so I spend anywhere from 35 - 50 hours a week in 300+ student lecture halls. It's always been pretty bad with students unashamedly showing up to hocking up lungs, but since clickers have increasingly served as a convenient way to enforce mandatory attendance, the rooms are effectively quarantine zones for months at a time. It's still a rare year I don't catch something, but I also don't experience the side effects from the vaccine that many seem to. Even if it just spares me once every few years, it's worth it for me.

Just as an aside- it wasn't yet available when I was "of age" so I didn't get it -my friend in her 30s did -if this is that gardasil thing? And I have a son. INteresting!

As another aside- I got the new Shingles vaccination - two doses -highly recommend if you're (you -general you) are 50 or over. But ..... man the side effects were awful for me- much worse than flu -but thankfully short lived.

yeah, they say if you did not have chicken pox when you were a kid, its not a bad idea (shingles).

(HPV, gardasil) They are now suggesting it for little boys. they cannot get it, but the theory is they can infect a woman. But since they can't get it, i think immunizing them from someone they can't get is a little puzzling to me. And it assumes all people are going to be promiscuous with multiple partners and risky sex.

yeah, they say if you did not have chicken pox when you were a kid, its not a bad idea (shingles).

(HPV, gardasil) They are now suggesting it for little boys. they cannot get it, but the theory is they can infect a woman. But since they can't get it, i think immunizing them from someone they can't get is a little puzzling to me. And it assumes all people are going to be promiscuous with multiple partners and risky sex.

Hmmm I guess we'll see. I did have chicken pox which apparently is why I need it somehow. There was no chicken pox vaccine when I was a kid but as you know, now there is.

Hmmm I guess we'll see. I did have chicken pox which apparently is why I need it somehow. There was no chicken pox vaccine when I was a kid but as you know, now there is.

nope. no vaccine, but i had chicken pox. My grandmother never had chicken pox as a young person and always seems to get shingles. I thought it was reverse - if you had chicken pox youhave some form of immunity but i also heard that you don't because its still there lying dormant...

nope. no vaccine, but i had chicken pox. My grandmother never had chicken pox as a young person and always seems to get shingles. I thought it was reverse - if you had chicken pox youhave some form of immunity but i also heard that you don't because its still there lying dormant...

If you’ve had chicken pox you’re much more likely to get shingles

(HPV' date=' gardasil) They are now suggesting it for little boys. they cannot get it, but the theory is they can infect a woman. But since they can't get it, i think immunizing them from someone they can't get is a little puzzling to me. And it assumes all people are going to be promiscuous with multiple partners and risky sex.[/quote']

This subject is a pet peeve of mine so here goes. Based on what I ve read, boys/men do get the virus. They don't get it when they are little, they get it once they start having sex. Hence the advice that girls and boys need to get the HPV vaccine BEFORE the first time they have sex and a way to achieve that is vaccinating them at a young age. Current scientific knowledge reports that men do get it and they become carriers of the virus, which they then spread around. They just don't know it because there is no widely used medical test available for men to find out whether they have HPV or not, so they get to go around obliviously spreading it to women if they have not been vaccinated. What men/boys don't get is cervical cancer due to obvious reasons. They can still get throat cancer though from HPV (see Michael Douglas).

You don't need to be "promiscuous with multiple partners and risky sex" though to get HPV. You are in danger of getting some type of HPV if you ever engage in sex, period. Condoms do NOT totally protect you from HPV. Only total abstinence does. A close friend of mine got it from her long-term boyfriend even though they had NEVER had sex without a condom and this was her first and ONLY sexual partner at the age of 28. And I happen to know of three more non promiscuous women who got it, it's just not widely discussed because of the "promiscuous" label going around. Calling people who get HPV "promiscuous" is a misconception imo. The long-term partner of my friend did not know he had it because there is no test for men, but he still infected her. Her doctor told her afterwards that HPV is very common and something like 85% of adult women end up getting it sometime in their life (unless they NEVER have sex and one can also get it from foreplay).

There are a lot of misconceptions about how common HPV is and how easily one can get it. What happens is that in 90% of the people/women who get HPV their organism eventually fights it off so they never find out they had it and they get to stay happily oblivious (and sometimes judgemental about the other unlucky 10% whose body was not able to fight it off). Unless you have never had sex in your life or you and your partner were virgins when you got together, for all you know you may have got HPV at some point in your life and your body fought it off so you never had to deal with it. At least, that's my understanding of HPV based on talking with health professionals and reading up on CDC material.

Getting HPV does not necessarily mean one has been "promiscuous" and it definitely does not mean that one had "multiple partners" or "risky sex". The "unpromiscuous" people get it the same as the "promiscuous" ones. It just is not known because 90% of the people who get it never find out about it.

Imo, boys/men should be immunized for HPV because a) even though they do not get symptoms, they may unknowingly carry it and SPREAD it around to their short-term AND long-term girlfriends/ future wives alike i.e. our sisters, daughters, nieces etc and b) they can still get certain types of cancer from it. Getting everyone immunized is the fastest way to eradicate a disease. Obviously, I agree with your concerns about the vaccine having to be made safe. I admit that I have not been made aware of information that indicates that the vaccine is not safe for the public. I have had the gardasil vaccine because I believe that it's an effective way to protect myself and other people. Promiscuity has nothing to do with this. I would like nothing better than to have only had one life partner but sadly life doesn't work that way, hence the existence of this website.

Edited by Clio

Clio this is all very interesting information. I confess to feeling grateful that we have a couple of years with our son before we face the decision and I love having more time with newer vaccines just to seeif there's more information about whatever, including side effects. As mentioned I got the brand new shingles vaccine and decided any risks were worth the benefits. So far so good! I have read the same about HPV not being linked to promiscuity and its prevalence. Luckily only some strains are cancer causing.

The HPV vaccine doesn’t just protect against cervical cancer, but against some types of penile, vaginal, vulvar, anal and oropharyngeal cancers. There has been a large increase in hpv-associated oropharyngeal cancers and this is a nasty cancer that can be disfiguring (not to mention the impact on quality of life when mouth, tongue, larynx etc are involved).

The HPV vaccine has been out since 2006. It has been well studied and has not been shown to have more adverse side effects than any other vaccine. Is 13 years new? That’s a matter of personal perspective but it’s certainly not fresh off the shelf.

The HPV vaccine is one of only two cancer-preventing vaccines we have (which is amazing!). The other is the Hep B vaccination, which is given at birth! Nothing to do with promiscuity or not trusting children to be honest about their sexual activity. It’s just best practice to be immunized before the first partner (which for HPV includes oral sex).

The people I know who are most passionate about HPV vaccination are gynecological surgeons and head and neck cancer surgeons - the people who treat most of the diseases caused by HOV. They make (part of) their living treating these cancers and would love to see them eliminated because they know how devastating they can be. Countries with high vaccination rates - NOT the US, sadly - are already seeing tremendous results.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/world/australia/cervical-cancer-hpv-vaccine.html

As you can see I feel very strongly about this issue, and I hope anyone reading this will consider getting the vaccine for themselves (if under 45) or their children.