Open Club  ·  96 members  ·  Free

Journals

Diabetes: Journey of Self control

Seraphim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Seraphim!

I hope you don’t mind me sharing my story, it might be of interest or help.

In 2016 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Incidentally it wasn’t when I was at my heaviest, but I had been eating a lot of sugary food as a coping mechanism for my Dad’s terminal illness.

Initially went on metformin which reduced my sugars to normal level. When my dad died I stupidly stopped taking them and my bloods shot up to my HBA1c being 97!!! This was around the time my relationship was going south with my short term ex. I went back on metformin and started losing weight to the point I had got my bloods to normal on a Keto low carb diet.

Sadly from 2019-2020 I went from 18 stone to 23 :( Generally over eating emotionally just not knowing when to stop.

My HBa1c has risen into the 50s so I’m back on metformin. They’ve also put me into Ozempic injections which have destroyed any cravings I once had. I could actually go a day without eating (not wise).

I’m currently 20 pounds from where I was at the beginning of August with the weight continuing to drop off. 4 stone by Christmas is my goal.

Hey Seraphim!

I hope you don’t mind me sharing my story, it might be of interest or help.

In 2016 I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. Incidentally it wasn’t when I was at my heaviest, but I had been eating a lot of sugary food as a coping mechanism for my Dad’s terminal illness.

Initially went on metformin which reduced my sugars to normal level. When my dad died I stupidly stopped taking them and my bloods shot up to my HBA1c being 97!!! This was around the time my relationship was going south with my short term ex. I went back on metformin and started losing weight to the point I had got my bloods to normal on a Keto low carb diet.

Sadly from 2019-2020 I went from 18 stone to 23 :( Generally over eating emotionally just not knowing when to stop.

My HBa1c has risen into the 50s so I’m back on metformin. They’ve also put me into Ozempic injections which have destroyed any cravings I once had. I could actually go a day without eating (not wise).

I’m currently 20 pounds from where I was at the beginning of August with the weight continuing to drop off. 4 stone by Christmas is my goal.

It is a hard road isn’t it ? I should weigh 120 pounds according to my height and build. Sadly , I don’t . My dad and most of his family all got type 2 . My sibling doesn’t but I do. My dad got it at exactly the same age as me, 53. Sadly, he never followed any advice from any doctor ever about anything due to severe mental illness. Hence the reason he ended up on dialysis and ultimately chose to end his life by going off it after almost 5 years.

They found my diabetes pretty early. My reading was 6.9, here the criteria for meds is a reading of 7. I got mine down to 5.8 in 6 months purely adjusting my diet. It went up slightly to 6.1 so I am prediabetic range now . My dr feels if I can do it naturally it will be far better for me. Sometimes though medications are definitely needed. I am on high blood pressure meds. Another family pit fall and cholesterol pill another family pit fall . I got every single crappy disease both of my families have, minus my dad’s Bipolar 1. My sibling,nada.

On a plus I am down 15 pounds over last year at this time and many more inches than pounds too. I am down 30 inches all over my body.

That's great news!! It's really not easy!

It really is a difficult road I agree. The western diet is all carbs, carbs, carbs (sugar in particular), is it any wonder there is a diabetes crisis!

I agree diet controlled is the best solution. My issue even on keto was that I was just eating too much, and food was my emotional crutch. I've no idea how it works, but the ozempic injections have completely stopped my emotional cravings.

The scales have been kind to me too this morning. I was 322 pounds at the beginning of August, as of this morning I am 301 pounds.

That's great news!! It's really not easy!

It really is a difficult road I agree. The western diet is all carbs, carbs, carbs (sugar in particular), is it any wonder there is a diabetes crisis!

I agree diet controlled is the best solution. My issue even on keto was that I was just eating too much, and food was my emotional crutch. I've no idea how it works, but the ozempic injections have completely stopped my emotional cravings.

The scales have been kind to me too this morning. I was 322 pounds at the beginning of August, as of this morning I am 301 pounds.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!

It is hard. I am mostly keto with a bit carbs. But it is finding the right balance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had my diabetic blood work done today. I am kind of afraid because I have been more lax since my dad died not enormously but a bit. I did lose another pound and a half at our last way that diet club but now it’s closed up due to increasing numbers of Covid. It is increasing in my area and we have gone from green to yellow. And we hit two more cases and then we hit Orange level which is two levels from lockdown. Well the blood never lies. We shall see. I can always do better.

Waiting for my results. He reduced the blood work amount. No cholesterol in the blood work this time. I guess because last time it was excellent and I am on a cholesterol pill.

No random glucose because I was not high last time. Just my A1 C ,sodium ,potassium and eGFR. There is kidney disease in my family my grandfather had polycystic kidneys. And of course my father when he passed had almost no kidney function left. He had been on dialysis for almost 5 years. But in my last blood work my kidney function was going up.

• 5 weeks later...