I found volunteering by me but it's animals (I love animals but am scared of being bitten or attacked, I know)

Hello,

I used to volunteer for a wildlife rehabilitation center that took in birds of prey and reptiles. I did it while I was lonely and depressed in college, and it pulled me out of depression. I probably would of committed suicide if I hadn’t volunteered.

I was absolutely TERRIFIED of snakes.

I’m talking sh*-in-my-pants scared of them. But then I met one snake that was previously kept as a pet by his last owner, and was surrendered because the owner passed. That snake HELPED me cope with my fear of it’s “vicious” brethrens and I learned a lot more about respecting snakes and handling them safely so that I would NOT get bit. I eventually responsible of capturing and removing venomous snakes from public parks.

Fun job. The pay was sh* but I got rewarded with the experience of a lifetime of helping injured wildlife. It felt damn good once I got over my fear.

Yea I got hurt a couple of times because of my own damn stupidity. I also almost got my hand taken by a giant 40 lb alligator snapping turtle that was irritated with me trying to clean his artificial pond (damn lucky he missed). But it’s not the end of the world, I healed, and have cool ass stories to tell my child and her grandkids 😎

You really need to try it. Either at an animal shelter, wildlife rehabilitation, horse rescue, etc. it will give you a sense of purpose.

• Like 2
Hello,

I used to volunteer for a wildlife rehabilitation center that took in birds of prey and reptiles. I did it while I was lonely and depressed in college, and it pulled me out of depression. I probably would of committed suicide if I hadn’t volunteered.

I was absolutely TERRIFIED of snakes.

I’m talking sh*-in-my-pants scared of them. But then I met one snake that was previously kept as a pet by his last owner, and was surrendered because the owner passed. That snake HELPED me cope with my fear of it’s “vicious” brethrens and I learned a lot more about respecting snakes and handling them safely so that I would NOT get bit. I eventually responsible of capturing and removing venomous snakes from public parks.

Fun job. The pay was sh* but I got rewarded with the experience of a lifetime of helping injured wildlife. It felt damn good once I got over my fear.

Yea I got hurt a couple of times because of my own damn stupidity. I also almost got my hand taken by a giant 40 lb alligator snapping turtle that was irritated with me trying to clean his artificial pond (damn lucky he missed). But it’s not the end of the world, I healed, and have cool ass stories to tell my child and her grandkids 😎

You really need to try it. Either at an animal shelter, wildlife rehabilitation, horse rescue, etc. it will give you a sense of purpose.

Okay I will look into it. :) I'm glad it helped you so much. You sound adventurous!