BF Wants Break due to Stress

glittergirl2

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frankly he sounds like a "commitment phobe," they are notorious for not knowing what they want and crying a lot, often times when it doesn't even seem appropriate, like here.

Good luck though.

Seems like this could be it..He also now said he wants me to meet his brother who will be in town in about a week and a half

Personally?

I would not agree to meet his brother while your relationship is in this precarious state. I would let him know it’s confusing to tell you he wants space but then invite you to meet his brother. If he’s at all mindful or respectful, he’ll understand why the mixed signals are hurting you.

My concern would be that he wants to put on a happy front while his brother is around, but then distance himself again as soon as he’s gone.

Are you prepared to take that risk?

Seems like this could be it..He also now said he wants me to meet his brother who will be in town in about a week and a half

This is what is known as your standard "mixed message." Again, commitment phobes are notorious for it.

He pulls back, doesn't know what he wants, cries -- BUT then he wants you to meet his brother?

Say "no thank you" and be on your merry way..

Guys like this will drive you literally insane but only if you allow it.

Choose to not allow it.

As someone who can relate to your boyfriend in the professional area (long days, night shifts, weekend 24h shifts, etc) I can surely relate to him questioning the relationship as well.

When a relationship is a little rocky and adds to the stress it may be literally more than he can handle at this moment.

Could be if stress diminishes he will be interested in pursuing the relationship with you again.

For now I would say let him focus on work and you must focus on yourself.

I've been trying to focus on myself. Even though I have lots of friends and hobbies it has been really tough.

Why do you need to focus on yourself? The choice isn't "boyfriend" or "myself" -why not find ways to contribute to others - help out a friend, look for a volunteer opportunity, etc.

Archived