Open Club  ·  76 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

Seraphim

16 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I've always wanted to visit Vancouver BC. Since I won't fly anymore unless it's first class, I would like to see if there's a train I can take. I love train travel. Of course it will take forever and cost a bundle, but I can save up both $$ and vacation time.

British Columbia is lovely. I grew up out West, in BC and Alberta. In BC I lived in North Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey and Vancouver. My best high school friends still live there. One who lives on Vancouver Island came to Ontario this summer and we met up. Vancouver Island is utterly spectacular as well. Train travel in Canada is outrageously expensive, all travel is here really, but train by far the most expensive. 

30 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

British Columbia is lovely. I grew up out West, in BC and Alberta. In BC I lived in North Vancouver, Richmond, Surrey and Vancouver. My best high school friends still live there. One who lives on Vancouver Island came to Ontario this summer and we met up. Vancouver Island is utterly spectacular as well. Train travel in Canada is outrageously expensive, all travel is here really, but train by far the most expensive. 

I would be originating in the US so I would be paying US prices. I took a quick peek and yes, it's definitely not cheap! If it's comparable to a first class airline ticket I would probably do that because it would save me about three days of travel.

I presume summer and fall are nice there. I've been to Seattle in early summertime and it was nice.

8 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I would be originating in the US so I would be paying US prices. I took a quick peek and yes, it's definitely not cheap! If it's comparable to a first class airline ticket I would probably do that because it would save me about three days of travel.

I presume summer and fall are nice there. I've been to Seattle in early summertime and it was nice.

Summer is definitely best. Least amount of rain. It is pretty temperate in climate but specializes in lots and lots and lots of rain. But when sunny beautiful beyond compare. 

Time has come now I must leave
Duty calls to me
When I return we will join as one,
Together you and me
Till then don't ask why
Please don't you cry

… Keep a place in your heart for me, I'll be home soon
Keep a place in your heart for me, my love, my love

… A year has past since I left home, it gets worse day by day
I wish I could leave this place, duty makes me stay
Your love keeps me strong, as the fighting takes on

… Keep a place in your heart for me, I'll be home soon
Keep a place in your heart for me, my love, my love

… Take my hand and walk with me, for one last time
It's time for me now, my love, my love

1 hour ago, boltnrun said:

Is that something he wants to do after he retires from the military?

His job in the military is writing education plans so it will help there  as well, and it will help for promotion. Although , you can’t be promoted in your last two years of service. He gets promoted this coming July, but he wants one more promotion before he retires but he would need another three years before he’s even in the running. So he may not have time . 

A Masters would be very advantageous for doing consulting after his military career is done for sure . 

Hubby has a dinner today he has to be in his full dress uniform. He is so cute . 😍

Take kiddo to his cards tonight, get to Wally to get more Christmas wrap. Finish the gift buying for the daycare kiddos and find where I put my son’s gift. 

I talked to the one parent today and his unit is going clear to the 23rd. 🙄😏 Yeah, right , you want to play video games and not have your kid for 5 extra days. I am not sure I can struggle through 12 more days of work. 

I get so much more reclusive as I age. Pulling back. I find less and less in common with society as our generation and ones above me dwindle. It is an alien space . 

That being said though we are going out with new friends tomorrow night for dinner. It was supposed to be for my birthday but I have put it off and ignored it and tried to avoid it. Last week the wife of the couple nailed me down to a time and date. 

I miss interaction and I don’t. Maybe what I miss is interaction with people I WANT to interact with . 

I spend 95% of my time alone. I work remotely so I almost exclusively interact online with coworkers. My three closest friends live several hundred miles away. I broke away from my local friends because they were all either connected to my toxic ex or we lost contact when I moved away 12 years ago. My extended family doesn't live that far away but I haven't made efforts to see most of them. My one cousin who I'm close to is the one who's married to the guy who sent me a "d" pic so I'm not comfortable being around them.

My social interaction consists mainly of talking to store employees when I shop and saying a friendly hello to neighbors when I go on walks. And I see family a couple of times each month. My friends and I message one another frequently as well.

I reflected on this recently and concluded it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it should.

Quality over quantity seems to be the thing when we're middle aged, isn't it?

You have your husband, son and clients so you get more interaction than I do for sure!

19 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I spend 95% of my time alone. I work remotely so I almost exclusively interact online with coworkers. My three closest friends live several hundred miles away. I broke away from my local friends because they were all either connected to my toxic ex or we lost contact when I moved away 12 years ago. My extended family doesn't live that far away but I haven't made efforts to see most of them. My one cousin who I'm close to is the one who's married to the guy who sent me a "d" pic so I'm not comfortable being around them.

My social interaction consists mainly of talking to store employees when I shop and saying a friendly hello to neighbors when I go on walks. And I see family a couple of times each month. My friends and I message one another frequently as well.

I reflected on this recently and concluded it doesn't bother me as much as I thought it should.

Quality over quantity seems to be the thing when we're middle aged, isn't it?

You have your husband, son and clients so you get more interaction than I do for sure!

True, I think it becomes more about quality. I have two really good friends. One I haven’t seen in 3 years due to distance and Covid restrictions but I am seeing her on the 27th. There is my really good friend back at my other posting but she is 3 hours away. There is my mom. 

True, I have my son and husband. Both are not big communicators. Both are pretty awkward communicators funny as my husband was an instructor and then standards and then writer of education plans all of which requires intense written and verbal communication. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️He was better as a technician. Being an avionics systems technician is very cut and dried, it is this way and that is it. He is best with machines. But he had gone high enough in the ranks that he wasn’t working on planes anymore so he figured he would take one for the team and give us a better retirement by commissioning and changing trades. 

My son most communication is extraneous to him. He communicates when he feels it necessary. 

I love them to death don’t get me wrong but at my house with them in it most people would feel alone. 🤣

My littles I enjoy, yes. 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

I get so much more reclusive as I age. Pulling back. I find less and less in common with society as our generation and ones above me dwindle. It is an alien space . 

That being said though we are going out with new friends tomorrow night for dinner. It was supposed to be for my birthday but I have put it off and ignored it and tried to avoid it. Last week the wife of the couple nailed me down to a time and date. 

I miss interaction and I don’t. Maybe what I miss is interaction with people I WANT to interact with . 

Oh my goodness! I LOVE HER!

This is a topic that perks my ears UP Seraphim!

I kind of, let the big groups I would fly around with fall away. I was on a constant spin of making fast friends wherever I went. Next month they'd be at the house having wine, coffee, dinner parties. It was a constant spin. Then the slow sinking would happen where, they seemed into it all, and then, I felt like a liar, because, I realised, we weren't connecting in a deep way. It was all surface and superficial. 

This past year and a half, the friends I made when I first moved here, or, I say "friends", women I see and have round but, I don't know, they aren't what I would class as close friends. I just stopped making new ones. I even recluse for half a year while we went and lived in a valley in the caravan whilst the house was getting done up. I enjoyed it but craved other people. I need other people, I'm that kind of extrovert. The annoying type. But I don't want meaningless friendships where the other person thinks they know you, but they don't at all, then you fall out because really, your principles are completely different. 

So I relate to this, in such a way. I've never really gotten on with women, and I can't really have male friends realistically, because either their wives are suspicious, or I think, am I flirting, or are they flirting, or is this weird? I don't have any actual friends, not for a year now. It's been lonely, actually.

My husband is my best friend, I still host dinner parties and have the girls round for wine but, I don't know. I want something more.

I wish I had a true female friend. I really do. Holding out for the magic one. I get obsessed with people if I really like them though, like a puppy dog - that puts people off I think. I can be full on.

I love her channel. Oh man! Her life! That cottage!!!!!!!

I hear you about the "people you WANT to interact with" - that's the important key bit. 

x

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mylolita said:

Oh my goodness! I LOVE HER!

This is a topic that perks my ears UP Seraphim!

I kind of, let the big groups I would fly around with fall away. I was on a constant spin of making fast friends wherever I went. Next month they'd be at the house having wine, coffee, dinner parties. It was a constant spin. Then the slow sinking would happen where, they seemed into it all, and then, I felt like a liar, because, I realised, we weren't connecting in a deep way. It was all surface and superficial. 

This past year and a half, the friends I made when I first moved here, or, I say "friends", women I see and have round but, I don't know, they aren't what I would class as close friends. I just stopped making new ones. I even recluse for half a year while we went and lived in a valley in the caravan whilst the house was getting done up. I enjoyed it but craved other people. I need other people, I'm that kind of extrovert. The annoying type. But I don't want meaningless friendships where the other person thinks they know you, but they don't at all, then you fall out because really, your principles are completely different. 

So I relate to this, in such a way. I've never really gotten on with women, and I can't really have male friends realistically, because either their wives are suspicious, or I think, am I flirting, or are they flirting, or is this weird? I don't have any actual friends, not for a year now. It's been lonely, actually.

My husband is my best friend, I still host dinner parties and have the girls round for wine but, I don't know. I want something more.

I wish I had a true female friend. I really do. Holding out for the magic one. I get obsessed with people if I really like them though, like a puppy dog - that puts people off I think. I can be full on.

I love her channel. Oh man! Her life! That cottage!!!!!!!

I hear you about the "people you WANT to interact with" - that's the important key bit. 

x

I get along with women pretty well, but like you I can be intense when I meet someone I find a kindred spirit with and then I dial back a bit over time . My husband also is my biggest friend other than my mom. I had more friends when I was young but often I didn’t chose well . So I prefer now with my fewer more true friends. 

• Thanks 1

Okay, I might sound like a paranoid nut, but…

Years ago I had this girl on my FB. We drifted apart as she was posted out to some place else. She deleted me, eh it’s all ok people are entitled. This year one of her kids became very severely disabled due to a tragic accident . This child will never recover. 

Two days ago someone from my old posting messaged me about the DTC and how to obtain it but mentioned she had it for her son when he was under 18. ??? Now this woman and the one above are friends. The DTC is a credit for disabled people. 

Now today woman # 1 sends me a friend request. ???? I am thinking maybe she wants info about the DTC and will delete once she gets the info. 

Or option two she just wants to be friends? 

I dunno, am I paranoid .