Open Club  ·  72 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

Seraphim

29 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Veterans Day here in the US.

I am thankful and grateful for all of the brave service members who literally risk their lives so we can be free and safe.

Here it is more a celebration of those who died, I think more like your Memorial Day. While more so we do celebrate still living veterans and serving members it is more a celebration of those who died in combat. 

My mom to me yesterday: 

What is it with you stating facts all the time and memories with exact dates etc etc??

Just stop, your filling your brain with nonsense. 

Me: That is how my brain works . 🤷🏻‍♀️

3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

My mom to me yesterday: 

What is it with you stating facts all the time and memories with exact dates etc etc??

Just stop, your filling your brain with nonsense. 

Me: That is how my brain works . 🤷🏻‍♀️

That's actually one of the things I've observed about autistic people. They are able to completely focus on something and are able to remember things in a most remarkable way. 

1 minute ago, boltnrun said:

That's actually one of the things I've observed about autistic people. They are able to completely focus on something and are able to remember things in a most remarkable way. 

I truly think I am and my mom poo poos it because I am not disabled as profoundly as my son is. Everyone is different though and even depending on the day and task and abilities to cope and she WONT acknowledge any difficulties I had and just calls me crazy in an affectionate way but I see it as dismissive to my past and present difficulties. It is lack of education of course and a refusal to see it. She acknowledges her two Autistic grandchildren but not me. In her depths she CAN’T make allowances/ accommodations  for me, just won’t .  She refuses to see many many Autistic people have gone to university and have lives and jobs and married and children. She is thinking in a vacuum of more severe impairment as a constant over all people. 

Now we are pretty sure it comes from my dad’s mother’s family. 

( I just realized my phone made a spelling error above your instead of you’re)

One of the IT techs at my last job is autistic. He functions fine, has a wife and obviously has a good job. He's good at the job because he can completely focus and shut out all outside distractions and he remembers EVERYTHING. The only things that people struggled with regarding interacting with him were his absolute insistence on following rules precisely no matter what and his tendency to interrupt and "correct" someone if they said something that wasn't 100% correct (for instance, if I said the sky was blue he'd break in and give me a long explanation of how the sky isn't actually blue, blue is the color the sky is not because it's the only color the sky didn't absorb or it's a reflection of the ocean, etc...) But other than those quirks he's a very good employee. People called him Speedy or Zippy because he literally ran through the building whenever he was on an IT service call because he felt he had to get to the person immediately. But I liked him and always made it a point to talk to him or eat lunch with him occasionally although he usually preferred to eat alone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

One of the IT techs at my last job is autistic. He functions fine, has a wife and obviously has a good job. He's good at the job because he can completely focus and shut out all outside distractions and he remembers EVERYTHING. The only things that people struggled with regarding interacting with him were his absolute insistence on following rules precisely no matter what and his tendency to interrupt and "correct" someone if they said something that wasn't 100% correct (for instance, if I said the sky was blue he'd break in and give me a long explanation of how the sky isn't actually blue, blue is the color the sky is not because it's the only color the sky didn't absorb or it's a reflection of the ocean, etc...) But other than those quirks he's a very good employee. People called him Speedy or Zippy because he literally ran through the building whenever he was on an IT service call because he felt he had to get to the person immediately. But I liked him and always made it a point to talk to him or eat lunch with him occasionally although he usually preferred to eat alone.

Hahahaha my son and I are rule followers to an extreme although I have much more of a wildcard factor than him. We will also both go “ oh dear god” if someone is wrong and roll our eyes and fight the urge not always successfully to correct the misinformation. 

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Hahahaha my son and I are rule followers to an extreme although I have much more of a wildcard factor than him. We will also both go “ oh dear god” if someone is wrong and roll our eyes and fight the urge not always successfully to correct the misinformation. 

To me it's one thing if it's something that would cause some kind of issue like giving an incorrect dimension on a part or giving an incorrect due date for a project. But if it's just a casual conversation and I'm being corrected for something that's unimportant that's a different story. He didn't seem to be able to stop himself even when people would say "OK, who cares, that's not important". He seemed to need to finish what he was saying even if someone interrupted him. It was just a quirk that in the grand scheme of things wasn't a big deal. 

I am also a rule follower but there are instances where the "rules" can be bent or when the rule doesn't apply. I could give you an example of when that happened with this young man but I won't bore you lol.

My brother and I think we might have undiagnosed ADHD because he has "grasshopper brain" and I can't sit still for longer than a few minutes. Who knows. 

13 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

To me it's one thing if it's something that would cause some kind of issue like giving an incorrect dimension on a part or giving an incorrect due date for a project. But if it's just a casual conversation and I'm being corrected for something that's unimportant that's a different story. He didn't seem to be able to stop himself even when people would say "OK, who cares, that's not important". He seemed to need to finish what he was saying even if someone interrupted him. It was just a quirk that in the grand scheme of things wasn't a big deal. 

I am also a rule follower but there are instances where the "rules" can be bent or when the rule doesn't apply. I could give you an example of when that happened with this young man but I won't bore you lol.

My brother and I think we might have undiagnosed ADHD because he has "grasshopper brain" and I can't sit still for longer than a few minutes. Who knows. 

I totally get where that guy is coming from. It is a compulsion to do it, like you will actually explode from the inside if you don’t . All facts I guess to us are important . 

My husband is ADHD. 

So, I had my dental appointment yesterday and I have small cracks down the back of two of my molars on the bottom. I only have 3 bottom molars left. So my dentist needs to do two crowns. That’s about $3000 before my insurance. 😒😒Thanks stress of the last year. She said to never never sleep without my mouth guard .