'

Not sure where Bat's comment came from either.

Perhaps from a previous thread wherein I mentioned my bf and I were discussing possibly living together and someday having a child.

But I never mentioned getting pregnant, our child would be adopted, due to a very bad car accident years ago, sadly I am not able to bear my own. And that adoption would be years away - we were only discussing it for the future.

Re family leave, no. I don't have that now either. Only those employers with 50 plus employees are covered under the FMLA - The Family Medical Leave Act.

CA has enacted a new law- The CA New Parent Leave Act, which covers employers with 20 plus employees.

We have not discussed benefits but I highly doubt it's anything significant. My current employers don't offer the greatest benefits either, being a small firm.

But I have great independent healthcare insurance with a decent monthly premium so not too concerned about that.

The larger national and international law firms offer more, better benefits AND more money, but I have worked for larger firms and it's extremely stressful and pressured, I don't want that again for mental health reasons.

My current plan is to work for this guy for only one year to gain criminal experience and then move on to a more established, slightly larger firm, like may 10-20 employees.

But am still deciding, I have time.

Thanks again!

Edited by katrina1980

OK great, that answers the benefits question, as it is an important one to consider.

Sounds like you've done some great thinking on this, and whatever choice you make, I know you're making it with a lot of thought and consideration.

I've left 2 different very high-paying jobs at different times in my life, both to make extremely less money, and I was chastised for those decisions at the time. Looking back, those were the best 2 career decisions I ever could have made. So you do you. :D

Why don't you just continue working for him on a part time basis? You're still getting experience. And if you're seeing corruption from where you are now, it sounds like you're already in a good position to start doing something about it.

I do not know what a small business has to offer. I distinctly remember a former boss and mentor advising me to ask about maternity leave policies when I was interviewing for a post grad school job. I thought it was funny because I was in my 20s with a serious boyfriend but no imminent plans for kids (he’s been happily married to and with a man for 20 years now). Anyway she was right to at least do the research - you never know - and Katrina has mentioned trying to conceive in the not too distant future.

My former employer had a generous enough policy for employees who’d worked there a certain amount of time - I had - and I declined an interview for my dream job - final round and a really probability of an offer - because I was 15 weeks pregnant - not showing - but between not wanting to mislead them if I ended up not coming back and being too new for added leave it just wasn’t the right decision.

My first interview occurred when I was possibly pregnant - or shortly before- and had no clue I was pregnant. Otherwise I wouldn’t have gone on if. That’s one reason I mentioned it.

Good luck !

For the record, many people didn’t think Ted Bundy was a bad guy until after he had killed a ton of women.

The best criminals are great liars, so you WOULD be helping get people off who committed terrible crimes, no matter what you tell yourself.

Why don't you just continue working for him on a part time basis? You're still getting experience. And if you're seeing corruption from where you are now, it sounds like you're already in a good position to start doing something about it.

I have thought about that too, but he needs someone full time.

So if I don't go full time, then I would have to leave and find another lawyer who needs only part time, and he may not have the ethics this lawyer does.

But I still may do that J, thanks that was good advice.

For the record, many people didn’t think Ted Bundy was a bad guy until after he had killed a ton of women.

The best criminals are great liars, so you WOULD be helping get people off who committed terrible crimes, no matter what you tell yourself.

I know I realize that and that is definitely a very scary thought, one that I have thought about many times. As I am sure many if not all criminal defense attorneys do as well.

But nevertheless, I still find the injustice to those who are innocent, those with children with families, who are wrongly convicted and tossed in prison for years often times, to be very wrong and something I feel very strongly about. And it happens a lot, way more than it should be.

So I have been thinking about this a lot today, talking about it with my boyfriend, and what I am considering is withdrawing some money from savings and the trust my dad set up for me before he died, and putting that money towards law school, and working part time at night. Waitressing or something.

I will take a huge tax hit from the trust withdrawal but it might be worth it in the long run.

But as another poster mentioned (sorry I cannot remember who) I could do a hell of a lot more as an attorney than I'd be able to as a paralegal behind the scenes so I am strongly considering this!

Edited by katrina1980
... and Katrina has mentioned trying to conceive in the not too distant future.

Batya, see this is what I take issue with re your posts sometimes. I NEVER said (mentioned) I would be "trying to conceive in the not too distant future," where did you get that?

I never would have said it because as I said in my previous post, I am not able to conceive or bear my own children due to bad car accident years ago.

What I actually said in another thread was that my bf and I were discussing possibly living together and someday having a child. That is all I said.

I will mention now however that child would come from adoption because again I cannot conceive or get pregnant. And that would be many years down the road if we're still together.

If you're going to take something I posted previously to make a point Batya, I respectfully request you quote me correctly, thank you.

Edited by katrina1980
  • Like 1

I'd continue to help him as a part time consultant, including helping him to hire someone cheaper to manage reception and admin during regular business hours. I'd support him the best I can this way until he reaches a stage in his practice where he can hire you as an office manager for a salary that matches or tops your current one.

I supported an alcohol and drug agency this way for many years. It was rewarding, and I continued my education in the field. I contributed a lot without downgrading my own career,

If the guy is worth his salt in developing his practice, then I'd credit him with the ability to hire the right support. If he cannot handle that, then why would I want to pin my career on someone who can't manage his business?

I'd continue to help him as a part time consultant, including helping him to hire someone cheaper to manage reception and admin during regular business hours. I'd support him the best I can this way until he reaches a stage in his practice where he can hire you as an office manager for a salary that matches or tops your current one.

I supported an alcohol and drug agency this way for many years. It was rewarding, and I continued my education in the field. I contributed a lot without downgrading my own career,

If the guy is worth his salt in developing his practice, then I'd credit him with the ability to hire the right support. If he cannot handle that, then why would I want to pin my career on someone who can't manage his business?

Thanks cat and believe me, I would love to do that.

Perhaps you missed my previous post, but he's getting very busy now and needs someone full time.

This person would act as paralegal, billing coordinator and admin, which is what I do now in my current firm. The previous paralegal left, so it's just me.

We've settled some huge cases so it's not as busy, so I can handle the workload. At least for now.

Anyway, back to the criminal guy, unfortunately, and especially with solo practitioners just starting up, the money just isn't there yet to pay me what I make now, working in civil. As much as he would like to.

Why is there a tax hit for withdrawing from your trust? Couldn’t you take student loans? Would the tax hit be less?

One thing to be mindful of - I’ve heard there’s an over abundance of attorneys so it’s hard for grads to get jobs. HOWEVER, you having been a paralegal for so long would probably help quite a bit

Sorry - how could I ever assume that when you posted that you and your boyfriend were thinking of having a child together that you didn’t mean by pregnancy. Wow - that’s so terrible on my part to assume that. From what I understand family leave includes adoption so my comments apply. And I didn’t read your post - words after all - where you talked about your future plans with your boyfriend - as a passing comment. I read it as a future plan. And as I wrote often people who have even distant future plans to adopt consider the family leave benefits as part of the equation. I think years ahead when it comes to career changes. That’s my perspective. Cool If you have a different one. Again sorry for misreading.

Regardless I love LHGIRL’s follow up about benefits in general - I’ve seen that been a huge issue with job changes. Again sorry I misread the meaning of “have a child” and misread it as more important than a passing comment.

Also agree with itsallgrand and cat feeder very much.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and I hope you found my other comments about your lifestyle not being “shallow” in the least as helpful and the other comments I made.

I’ve been there with these sorts of decisions and wanted to help but apparently my assumptions overshadowed that.

Edited to add - I don’t think quoting correctly was the issue here. I made the awful mistake of interpreting “having a child” to mean pregnancy - I don’t think I need to “quote “ your (now that I am aware you meant it as a passing comment )your passing comment about family planning in order to mention it as part of your career change. It was an interpretation of what you wrote. A misinterpretation. I am sure no one ever before interpreted a boyfriend and girlfriend having a child together to mean only pregnancy. So very sorry.

Edited by Batya33

Tried to respond to your PM but it was blocked. Baffling to me - both the substance and not permitting a response if you were aware of the block. And I won’t respond to the personal attacks but since you’ve blocked me I’ll take it as you simply needed to vent - until informed otherwise . Hope you feel better. I had no idea about the information you shared. None. Or simply forgot what I read in the past. I won’t go into detail here to respect potential privacy /sensitivity of the information but it was news to me. If you are reading this I surely hope that sheds some light but again you did not permit a response. Good luck with whatever decision you make about your current jobs.

Edited by Batya33
I have thought about that too, but he needs someone full time.

But does that render part-time help useless? You've been working for him for a while, I'd be surprised if he decided that you wouldn't be of value on a part time basis.

One thing to be mindful of - I’ve heard there’s an over abundance of attorneys so it’s hard for grads to get jobs. HOWEVER, you having been a paralegal for so long would probably help quite a bit

There is over abundance in pretty much every field/job. Unfortunately, we are not in the 80s/90s.

Interesting though that Kat is considering studying law. Is it only two years and then the exams for a specific state, is that right?

There is over abundance in pretty much every field/job. Unfortunately, we are not in the 80s/90s.

Interesting though that Kat is considering studying law. Is it only two years and then the exams for a specific state, is that right?

3 I believe