My Kitty

boltnrun

I am somewhere between being extremely annoyed with and worried about my cat.

(Yes, I am going to take her to the vet. Not even hesitating.)

She uses her litter box excessively. Just this morning she got in 8 times in the space of 20 minutes. Peed once, pooped once, the rest of the times she just jumped in, crouched, kicked some litter around, then ran around my home for a few minutes meowing loudly (she's headed back in there as I'm typing). For some reason she always runs around the house meowing loudly every time she's done pooping.

I've read that it could be a UTI or blockage, but she's able to pee and poop just fine. I have to change her litter box every other day to keep it reasonably clean because of all the pee and poop. Her appetite is fine, she drinks plenty of water, she still grooms herself (although not as thoroughly as she used to) and she sleeps what I would consider a reasonable amount for a cat. But I am constantly cleaning up after her (she kicks litter EVERYWHERE) and changing her litter box is almost becoming a daily necessity.

I suppose the vet will have the answers.

It's almost like when my kids were little, when they were driving me nuts and being sweet kids it seemed like every other minute.

BTW, she is about 13 years old, so I do expect changes but this litter box thing is weird.

I'm sorry about your kitty. Unfortunately, this calls for emergency vet visit. Whatever the issue, your kitty is not well. Cats, some more than others do like to dig around in the litter box and will make a mess. That's kind of normal, but the rest is not. Excessive going to the bathroom is an indication of any number of serious health problems. Also running around meowing loudly afterward could be your cat expressing pain that going to the bathroom is causing. Be sure you mention that behavior to the vet. Wish you and your furball luck in that hopefully it's just something minor overall that a course of antibiotics will fix quickly.

• 3 months later...
hola...creo que tu gatito debe tener algun problema porque ese comportamiento no es normal en un animal, requiere de una visita urgente al veterinario.

I can read enough Spanish to tell you I already took her to the vet. Please read the update I posted a couple of months ago.

Archived