How to end an fwb relationship

CBC2000

I have been in a fwb relationship for about 3 months now with a guy that I’ve been knowing for some years now. I knew I should’ve never gotten myself into this situation because of how emotional I am but I did it any way because I was extremely lonely and I actually liked the guy. Me and this guy hang out at least or twice a week and when we do sometimes we don’t even have sex, he even takes me out on dates. I’ve realized that I’m starting to fall for him and I just need advise on how I can let him go without sounding like a hurt desperate woman.

The reason why I want to get out of this situation before I cause any more damage to myself is because I know we couldn’t never have a real relationship and I know he doesn’t see anything long term with me. Sometimes when we are hanging out he talks about the type women that he’s never dated that he wants to try dating. It didn’t bother me in the beginning, but now it does. How do I get out of this in the most gracious way?

I mean... I would just tell him the truth?

“Hey Mr. FWB - I’m really enjoying our time together but I’m starting to catch feelings a bit. I’m going to need to put this on ice for a while so that I can put things in perspective”.

Voila!

I don’t think that’s desperate. It’s normal for one person or the other to catch feelings at some point. And hey! If he feels the same, you are leaving that door open for him to say it (although don’t get your hopes up on that).

Honesty is always the best policy. If he’s in it for FWB, he knows it will end at some point.

You could tell him that you want to end your fwb situation as you want to devote all your energy in search of a proper relationship. Or you could be truthful and explain to him that you have caught feelings hence it would be best to stop, since he wants to keep dating. The latter may lead to the end of your friendship but it will also let him know how you feel, in case he too had a change of heart towards dating you.

just tell him you have decided not to continue with the fwb and wish him well.

that's it. you don't actually owe him an explanation.

If he insists on asking it's up to you whether you you want to tell him and what you want to tell him - after all it WAS an FWB. It IS considered "casual" by nature and thus an "at will" situation (aka anybody can leave at any time).

This is why people enter into FWB's.

Good luck.

Are you 100% certain he wouldn't have a proper relationship with you? It may be worthwhile to simply tell the truth and ask if he wants to actually be your partner. If he says no, you can say, "Okay, well my feelings have changed and right now I want to be in a real relationship. I've had a lot of fun with you, but I think it's time to part ways." That way, you won't wonder "what if?" and you'll be less prone to getting sucked back into an unfulfilling FWB involvement.

just tell him you have decided not to continue with the fwb and wish him well.

that's it. you don't actually owe him an explanation.

If he insists on asking it's up to you whether you you want to tell him and what you want to tell him - after all it WAS an FWB. It IS considered "casual" by nature and thus an "at will" situation (aka anybody can leave at any time).

This is why people enter into FWB's.

Good luck.

This is the best answer. Thank you. I will just let him know when he calls me to hangout this weekend

Archived