Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Self Employment:Greater Freedom: Freedom 60

Seraphim

So I put in my resignation and one of my former employers does not even acknowledge it . However I did find out she was talking to people to replace me but didn’t acknowledge me even when I asked for a letter of reference. Glad to know I busted my ass for you day and night for five years you .....

• 2 weeks later...

Today I had to be stern with one of my moms. Today. Assertive but polite. Last week they had 3 sick days and tomorrow she wanted to pull them out because she had the day off. She saw the look on my face . When she got to work she sent this:

Hi L.I will drive .... in tomorrow to school and then drop .... off with you. That way you don't miss a full days pay...and gives me a chance to clean my house! And then I will pick ... up from school and then pick ... up!

I sent :

Ok, that is great thank you because I only give a few days grace a month as this is my income. I know people can't help getting sick and they don't want to spread it. But the most I can give people is a few days grace because then I start to lose money. I buy all the groceries in advance for the day care and the craft supplies and such .

Thanks so much for understanding.

We don't go to daycare but we have afterschool programs -twice a week and we do "camp" during school breaks. Each one has specific written policies on this sort of thing. In both, they let me switch days if they have room and one gives a refund for a sick day if a certain time period in advance (or a cancellation) and will give a credit if the cancellation is only 24 hours. I know these are families that are there every day but if I were you I would avoid discussing anything personal about your finances-even referencing it and simply point to an official policy you have for all parents - and certainly in the policy you can indicate that the reasoning is because you have to plan for staff/food/supplies in advance (this is in one of the camp policies for a camp we use during school breaks). What you're experiencing seems very typical when you decide to be your own boss and I think written policies -with only very rare exceptions to the written policies-works the best.

We don't go to daycare but we have afterschool programs -twice a week and we do "camp" during school breaks. Each one has specific written policies on this sort of thing. In both, they let me switch days if they have room and one gives a refund for a sick day if a certain time period in advance (or a cancellation) and will give a credit if the cancellation is only 24 hours. I know these are families that are there every day but if I were you I would avoid discussing anything personal about your finances-even referencing it and simply point to an official policy you have for all parents - and certainly in the policy you can indicate that the reasoning is because you have to plan for staff/food/supplies in advance (this is in one of the camp policies for a camp we use during school breaks). What you're experiencing seems very typical when you decide to be your own boss and I think written policies -with only very rare exceptions to the written policies-works the best.

I have a written policy. You pay me regardless. I stupidly have a grace period. That ends Jan 1.

They have a signed contract. It states if your child is scheduled and does not attend you pay regardless. I told them a would give a few days grace a month. People being people take a mile if you give them an opportunity inch. They were sick 3 days last week. And the month before that they used the entire grace period. So they can be sick all they like but they are still paying. The centre where I worked you pay unless you give 2 weeks notice.

I already don’t ask them to pay over the 2 week Christmas break and my summer holiday and stat days. I am more than generous. But that is her first warning 2 more and she gets her 2 week release.

They have a signed contract. It states if your child is scheduled and does not attend you pay regardless. I told them a would give a few days grace a month. People being people take a mile if you give them an opportunity inch. They were sick 3 days last week. And the month before that they used the entire grace period. So they can be sick all they like but they are still paying. The centre where I worked you pay unless you give 2 weeks notice.

I already don’t ask them to pay over the 2 week Christmas break and my summer holiday and stat days. I am more than generous. But that is her first warning 2 more and she gets her 2 week release.

Yes. This is part of the extra work of having your own center and for you it is worth it to have this kind of extra work. Why does she get released if she agrees to pay when not attending (just curious, no need to answer).

If she pays no problem. She doesn’t need to be released but if she can’t afford the care and I am rock bottom cheap then perhaps she needs to be home.

So if she doesn't pay you then yes of course she can't bring her child. I didn't understand what you meant by "release"/

My one little one has returned after a 7 week absence. So the Inn is completely full. J met some former co workers at Wally quite by accident last night. Apparently our former work is a bigger shyte show by the week. Sooooooooooooo glad I am out. I don’t miss it AT ALL. I thought I would but, no. I miss some of the people but not the work place.

I think I just figured I would miss it because I might have failed but I didn’t. I was terrified to jump out on my own when push comes to shove you have to do something . There’s only two choices ;lay down and die or get up and fight . So I decided to fight and try my skills as a business owner. It has increased my self-esteem immensely . I CAN do.

I think one of my littles has a developmental disability. I have known him from infancy. His parents have him on a list for assessment , but they have been waiting more than a year. He turned 3 yesterday and he has almost zero verbal skills except for some occasional off the wall full sentences. Other than that he squeeks like a mouse or cries. His play skills are below age appropriate. He doesn’t parallel play or play with others. Today because he had to wait for lunch he was banging his head on the floor crying . I picked him up and cuddled him until he stopped.

• 2 weeks later...