Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Self Employment:Greater Freedom: Freedom 60

Seraphim

10 hours ago, Seraphim said:

I try to never correct though because I know how much my son has struggled due to his learning disabilities and I don’t really know someone’s abilities so I always try to be forgiving. Sometimes my eye twitches because I can’t help it but I keep my mouth shut .

When I was younger, I was the biggest grammar nazi. As I got older, the need to criticize people about it disappeared.

When I was 32, a guy contacted me through OKCupid. He had the absolute WORST spelling and punctuation I've ever seen. I'm not exaggerating when I say it looked like an illiterate person tried to phonetically spell out each word. At first I thought he had a profound intellectual disability and I couldn't understand why he was on a dating site. 

I clicked through to see his profile. Same terrible spelling errors, but he said some really insightful things! I realized there was a lot more to him than I initially thought. So, the next time he messaged me, I responded. It turned out he was dyslexic! That was a real eye-opener. 

As everyone knows, you can't identify a dyslexic person just by looking at them. If you met this guy on the street, you'd never ever expect him to have such awful spelling and punctuation. He was perfectly intelligent.

It made me aware of the fact that there is a stigma attached to bad spelling and punctuation. And now, when I see bad spelling, I have an extra layer of "let it go" preventing me from challenging that person. Even when I know it's not a mental deficiency, I say nothing. It does make my eye twitch, as you say. 

Another thing that stops me from saying anything about it to people is my own increased number of spelling errors 😂 Many times, I've caught myself typing "women" instead of "woman" as a typo. And confusing its and it's, or there, their and they're, or hear and here.... ugh! My brain is wearing out. So, I won't say anything, but I will btch about it!

Anyway, since meeting that guy, I've been able to identify dyslexia in other people that I know (I've confirmed it because I've asked them point-blank, "Are you dyslexic?"). None of them have been as bad as the guy I just mentioned. I've mainly been able to identify it through irregularities in people's punctuation. 

• Like 2

That’s the thing a lot of disability is invisible and doesn’t deny intelligence. 

My son has normal intelligence but is still profoundly disabled over 90% of the time but not due to lack of intelligence but do to processing speeds and sensory requirements and responses. It impacts his ability to look after himself and others but we are working on that. He will always require some assistance. 

If he is given kindness and not rejection for his disabilities he will flourish. 

• Like 2

8 more working days. The young ones really don’t understand, but they will when they don’t see me anymore. The preschool one changes the subject, so while he doesn’t fully understand I know he does feel hurt. The two girls while they don’t understand why I have to go or how far I know they are hurting because they are acting up like nobody’s business. They also cling to me and asked me not to leave. They don’t understand why my husband can’t just stay and work here. And you can’t really expect them to understand. I told them I will contact their mom and someday when I come back to visit I will come and visit them. 

• Like 1

3 more working days after today. 

I have had terrible heat rash since probably Monday. I don’t realize that things are bad until they are super bad. Just the way my body works. But I started treating it yesterday and my arms are much better but my chest will take longer. Anti-histamines and Cortizone cream and cool packs are helping though. I can’t go outside though or it flares up. 

36 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

3 more working days after today. 

I have had terrible heat rash since probably Monday. I don’t realize that things are bad until they are super bad. Just the way my body works. But I started treating it yesterday and my arms are much better but my chest will take longer. Anti-histamines and Cortizone cream and cool packs are helping though. I can’t go outside though or it flares up. 

My eczema is flaring up.  It always does in hot weather. Unfortunately it's in some spots I can't reach so I can't apply cream to them.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

24 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My eczema is flaring up.  It always does in hot weather. Unfortunately it's in some spots I can't reach so I can't apply cream to them.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

It is so darned annoying and itchy isn’t it? My mom and husband get it as well. I hope you feel better too. 
I am hoping to feel better hopefully tomorrow. This is my neck. 

94A4F6B0-B603-4CFE-948D-F68FFBC24E38.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, boltnrun said:

That's great! I'm sure you will enjoy being back in business. I'm sure the local families will be happy to have your service available too.

How many children do you plan to take?

I am going with the method of whoever gets here first and when I am full either by space or numbers. But I think just getting back to work will help improve my mood and increasing depressive state a lot.