Open Club  ·  2 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

One big international trip or multiple local road trips?

I have visited other countries before, but husband has not. I think it would be awesome to give him a chance to go to another country. It's not a passionate dream of his but I think he deserves the opportunity.

But one trip is sort of putting all my travel eggs in one basket. It would use up all the (travel-allocated) money and a chunk of our vacation time. It's not something you can change last-minute like a weekend road trip. Planning with my husband is hard to do and he is hesitant to make big commitments like that. I also feel like this is more important to me than it is to him, so it's kind of on me to push for it and plan it.

If he is hesitant or uninterested, why not just do road trips with him? Or get a sleeper car on an Amtrak train and enjoy the ride. Spend a day or two at the destination, find some good food and drink, a nice hotel or B&B, get back on the train and go home. Those kinds of little adventures are nice to have with your SO.

Save the international travel for yourself, or bring an enthusiastic friend. Don't bring someone who doesn't care to be there. That would be a major drag.

Did you check put those deal sites?

I think I'll hold off on looking into international deals until I know when we'll take the trip - at least a ballpark time frame, anyway. We'll push off the international travel for a year or so.

If he is hesitant or uninterested, why not just do road trips with him? Or get a sleeper car on an Amtrak train and enjoy the ride. Spend a day or two at the destination, find some good food and drink, a nice hotel or B&B, get back on the train and go home. Those kinds of little adventures are nice to have with your SO.

Save the international travel for yourself, or bring an enthusiastic friend. Don't bring someone who doesn't care to be there. That would be a major drag.

I love the idea of taking the train. It's especially great in the winter for long drives because you don't have to worry about icy roads at night. I've only done it once, taking a train up to Chicago with a big family group. It was lovely because we all would not have fit into one car. On the train, we got to talk to everyone and relax. Train trips can end up taking longer than driving, though.

Doesn't your husband have chronic pain, you were having a strain in your marriage and he works a creative job? Going to South American would be the WORST thing to do if he were to have a medical episode.

In this case, if he is willing to go with you on a small roadtrip or something where you can be on a plane for an hour and spend a whole weekend somewhere (the plane ride is short enough to give you ample relaxation time -- I would do that. Nurturing your marriage is more important than "the trip of a lifetime".

I love the idea of taking the train. It's especially great in the winter for long drives because you don't have to worry about icy roads at night. I've only done it once, taking a train up to Chicago with a big family group. It was lovely because we all would not have fit into one car. On the train, we got to talk to everyone and relax. Train trips can end up taking longer than driving, though.

Oh, waaaaaay longer than driving--that's why I suggest the sleeper car. You're not just stuck in a seat, you can stretch out and read, watch something on your ipad or whatever, or lay down and take a nap if you want. It's an adventure in and of itself.

When I used to take the train to college, they never ran on time. However, there was a bar car and a smoking car, so I spent long hours talking to random strangers on the journey. I had a lot of interesting conversations that way.

I never said I wanted to go to South America. I said I did NOT want to! Neither of us does! And he doesn't have chronic pain, he has a chronic illness. It flares and goes into remission. :D

He has a chronic illness that often makes life painful and he drops out of or declines from activities because of it -- same difference. I don't see based on your previous threads, complaining how your husband never does anything with you because he cancels at the last minute because he doesn't feel well is a good leap to talk about international travel.

• 6 months later...

If I were you, I'd save up for one big international trip to another country. Here are some tips to travel on a budget:

- Use flight comparison sites

- Research all transport options

- Use local transport instead of luxury or tourist options

- Book ahead

- Stay out of season

- Use a budget hotel chain, hostel or Airbnb

Hope my tips help you budget your trip this summer