Cat diagnosed with renal failure any advice?

GingerMay

Hi Friends, my dear 14-year old cat was just diagnosed with renal failure. The vet said this is fatal, but with some treatment she might be able to live up to a few more months to a couple years. However the vet said any treatment may only be about 50%. She is a senior cat and unfortunately was born with very small kidneys which likely is making her condition worse.

For treatment, she is on the second day of a daily sub-cutaneous fluid injection to remove and dilute the urea from her system. In spite of this, she is rapidly declining.

I am doing everything I can to comfort her and put fluids and her favorite soft foods near her. She only takes a few bites, then turns away.

Does anyone have any experience with this in their cat, and have any successful course of action you have taken?

My heart is breaking. Thank you all so much.

I, too, am SO sorry that your precious kitty is ill. Has your vet prescribed any special diet for her? I know that Kidney Support Gold might help her. It's expensive but might be worth a try. It helps to eliminate toxins and waste. Please ask your vet before trying it though. Kitties have a special place in my heart so I understand your pain. Hugs.

• 2 years later...

I am so sorry to hear that 😞 I lost my sweet kitty Echo to renal failure years ago. We had lost our other cat, Gibbon, just a year early from pancreatic cancer. When he was going through the cancer, my mother went to extreme lengths to keep him alive. These efforts prolonged his life for around 8 months, but his quality of life was low. His personality was completely different. It was really sad. When Echo began going through her kidney issues, she did pretty well at first, but after awhile my parents saw the pain and personality changes and made the decision (along with the vets as her health got worse) to put her down before the pain got extreme. It was truly an extremely difficult decision for my parents to put down the cat they had gotten as a kitten after 18 years. But, Echo was out of pain. We didn't have to live with a completely different cat for 8 months the way we did with Gibbon. Poor Gibbon was in pain for 8 months. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the best ones. We didn't want Echo to suffer the way Gibbon did. I am so sorry your sweet kitty is experiencing this and wish you the best of luck and peace as you navigate this for your cat.

Archived