How soon is too soon?

RainyCoast

Awww. You have all this love to give, and so does Bonito, I think that is a beautiful thing that you are together.

When my cat Blackie passed away, this was years ago now, I thought ' that's it, no more cats for a very long time!' . I was depressed for a while, her passing hit me very hard, something about the kind of love between us and those little guys, it's so honest, it can cut right through all the usual defended we may have . Do you find this?!

Well that plan didn't last long. A friend of mine had a friend of hers unexpectedly pass away. He had a cat, and ferrets. They all went to his parents place at first, but they also had a cat. And his cat was stressed to the max, didn't like other cats, and was terrorizing their cat . And here I was a home with no cats again, and she needed a 'one child':) home. Yeah. When my friend brought her over to meet me, I knew she was home now. We've been together ever since, she's family.

I get it, talking to Darko, feeling like he is there watching this. Thank you for giving him such a beautiful life filled with love and compassion.

Bonito reminds me a lot of my little dog, the older one that I lost in June. I smiled when you mentioned the part about him barking at elephants on the TV screen.

My dog loved his toy elephant collection and used to bark for them when I'd hold them out of his reach just to tease him, before I'd finally throw or drop the elephant. Then he'd grab the toy by its trunk and whip it around like a crocodile catching its dinner.

He was small and fluffy just like your dog, I would joke "which one is the toy?" :-)

I do find we are so defenseless with animals, and thank goodness for that- so much one can learn about being human from an animal.

I love that you immediately felt the new cat was at home, that's so wonderful, feeling like they always belonged there :))

Aww Raize, yes, the crocodile whip, I know it! So funny!

I honestly think Bonito looks like a stuffed toy, but was careful about saying it for fear ppl will worry I think of him as an object for my amusement. With his docile character and adorable looks, he is overwhelmingly sweet.

This is my first time with a small breed, i'm fascinated.

He's not being difficult at all. I expected a puppy to be a lot of work, but it's so far easy. Fuzzball.

Where's the pic?

here i am auntie holly!

(i'm inserting links because i get the invalid file message if i try to post a pic)

https://imgur.com/mcvdgmP

https://imgur.com/CDhDg6J

he dragged both the throw and the rag over himself, freakishly strong pup.

anyone have any ideas how to get him to let me clean his face? he wiggles out of the way. i'm afraid a groomer wouldn't get far with him either before he realizes it's no big deal. so far i am rewarding him with treats every time he lets me touch his face, boop his nose, hold his "beard" hair gently. i'm hoping that'll motivate him to let me get close with a moist cloth.

or should i offer him a basin with water and see if he likes water? if he could get in there, maybe he would allow a full bath and i could clean his face while we're at it? though his coat is clean, he smells nice and all, it's just his dirty cute little face i really want to be able to clean soon. it'll get dirty often, i hope he's going to be fine with frequent cleaning.

we're having a storm and he's not afraid of thunder!! not one bark!!!

the shelter last weighed him at a little under 3 kg, he may grow a bit in the following month, then he should've reached his "adult" size.

thank you, a shower sounds like a great idea! he might find it fun and we really just need lots of sprinkling to soften the sticky bits on his face so it can be wiped off! indoor rain :))

I know I am late to this post, but I was so touched by your reply to a post of mine today that I just wanted to chime in and say congratulations on your new family member. What a darling sweetie. I don't think there is any such thing as too soon. It is whatever your heart says and yours was telling you to go for it. I am glad you listened as it seems things are going so well.

You give me encouragement that I too can love again some day. I've been wandering around the house aimlessly all day crying. Every corner I look in I expect to see her. While I was driving around today I asked for a sign that my baby was safely on the other side and doing well. As I went into the dry cleaners I noticed a community bulletin board on the wall and a posting right in the middle was from someone in big letters named 'Daisy" my kitty's name. I took it as a sign that she made it over the bridge to that great place. I believe your dear boy is with you still and had a part of bringing your new baby to you. Enjoy every minute.

You are so sweet GingerMay!

The puppy is doing very well, it feels like he has been with me for ages, he is so comfortable. He does make it so much easier for me, thinking about Darko I always think here goes love again.

Pets are incredible gifts, I know it's like having your soul ripped out when they go.

I love the posting with Daisy in big letters! How beautiful!

She loved you very much.

My heart goes out to you.

I just saw this post... congratulations on your new pup! He is adorable. I love the photo that gets right up on his nose. Dogs are so wacky :)

Also, so sorry to hear about Darko. But I know he would understand about getting a new doggy. Animals are hedonistic and practical like that, so he wouldn't blame you one bit for doing something that makes you happy.

Thank you Jibralta!

I got Darko when he was already grown up and often wondered what he was like as a pup. Watching Bonito I get wonderful mental images of little Darko.

Bonito has endless energy, is very attached and cuddly.

We've gotten over the fear of grooming mostly too.

I used to feel listless on my days off, whereas i'm really looking forward to free days now so we can PLAY!ALL!DAY!

Taking him home was the best thing I've done in a while, i'm grateful and honored to take care of him.

Archived